Are you booking new cruises or hesitant?

firefly333

Main news on the radio in the UK this evening said that we should NOT think that Coronavirus is something that can be contained and that we are in the early stages of a pandemic.

I'm therefore not going to be complacent about all of this nor think that's it's something that can be ignored.   People need to be prepared imho and start thinking in terms of avoiding large public places.   8 confirmed cases in the UK and some of them are apparently not caused by any contact with Chinese people or any travel to Asia.   Remember the authorities in truth have absolutely no clue how many cases there are because they can only report the cases that have been specifically reported.  There will be a great many more not being reported imho.

• Like 1

The issue may be less about how much risk of disease you face, but more about how different countries and individual ports respond to travelers in general and cruisers specifically in the future.  Right now ports are denying entry to ships that have been to China or HK in the past couple of weeks or that have passengers aboard that have recently visited there. It is not clear how widespread the disease may become, but should more cases begin to show in other countries in patients who have not traveled to China, then the restrictions on travel may amplify.  Literal cruises to nowhere may become the norm and the problem of finding a place to disembark might become an issue. 

I have no MONEY!

That's the only thing stopping me from boarding at Bridgetown,

- just 10 mins. away from my house, on the other side of the city.

Luckily the Eastern Caribbean is half-a-planet away from S-East Asia.

and so we are fairly safe in this neck of the woods.

Dont Worry.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Luckily the Eastern Caribbean is half-a-planet away from S-East Asia.

and so we are fairly safe in this neck of the woods.

Dont Worry.jpg

Sorry, not so fast. You can now travel around the globe in 24 hours by plane, so can a coronavirus gem carrier. The days of around the world in 80 days is long gone and no more.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Sorry, not so fast. You can now travel around the globe in 24 hours by plane, so can a coronavirus gem carrier. The days of around the world in 80 days is long gone and no more.

It is a virus, not a germ. But that does not negate your point about how world wide it could spread through air travel.

• Like 1

I am on a Caribbean cruise right now. My general feeling is that the passengers seem healthier than usual mid winter. The media seems to be confusing people with their hype and people are getting infected cruises mixed up. 

I am overhearing lots of incorrect info in conversations. 

Edited by Markanddonna

I sail in 12 days. I'm more concerned about the flight in 10 days (Can you say grossness overload?) But the flight is always my least favorite part of the trip for a variety of reasons.

My Mom is a worrier and the Coronavirus is her current argument against my travels. My rebuttal is simple....life is short. I come from a family of heart disease (strokes, heart attacks and high blood pressure most notably) diabetes, obesity, vision problems, addictions and cancer. Hell I've had a pacemaker since my 40's. My first husband died suddenly at 33 years old. I value life.  My point is I can quarantine myself within the confines of my home because of a slight risk of a virus or I can exercise some common sense and travel. I intend to live out my days as a very happy traveler.   

• Like 5

On 2/10/2020 at 12:02 PM, thinfool said:

I had to call Princess this morning....website/booking problems.  Agent told me that their 'last few weeks' have been wayyy busy.

I am sure the have been busy....But with what?  New bookings or people asking about canceling wanting to know about the status of Diamond, etc.

35 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

So you're saying that you haven't seen anyone on your ship coughing or sneezing?

Is there some reason you would personally know if someone had displayed cold/flu symptoms and was being tested in the ship's medical centre?  Are you connected with the cruise line?  Or am I right in thinking you don't know if anyone is in the medical centre?

I haven't personally seen anything confusing in the media.  They have reported the ships where Coronavirus is on-board and they have reported ports who are refusing ships and so on.

Out of interest what ship are you on and what is the itinerary?   Any planned calls to St Lucia or Dominica?

My comments were that in my experience, I have seen less. I have no inside info nor do cruise lines ever let passengers know about general illnesses. I am on the MSc Seaside. 

4 hours ago, ed01106 said:

I am sure the have been busy....But with what?  New bookings or people asking about canceling wanting to know about the status of Diamond, etc.

Bookings with the Best Sale Ever....apparently very, very popular.

• Like 1

We had a massive wait on the Princess line yesterday but only a few minutes today.  Note - there is a special number referenced on the Princess phone site for people with questions re Diamond.

Edited by LoriPhil

1 hour ago, KansasTexan said:

I'm booked (in May) and have no thoughts to change my travel plans but I am going to change what I pack. I'll make sure I have an extra book or two and a couple extra weeks of RX medications. Just in case.

Unless you want to go commando and bare feet by Day 9, don't forget to pack extra underwear and socks in your suitcase.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:44 AM, crzndeb said:

No, I’m older too, and have 8 cruises booked...6 his year, and 2 (so far), next.

Yikes! Is that all the travel you do?

Are people hesitant about being closed in or is it traveling in general? I understand we won't know for a while if this is going to be a pandemic.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Main news on the radio in the UK this evening said that we should NOT think that Coronavirus is something that can be contained and that we are in the early stages of a pandemic.

I'm therefore not going to be complacent about all of this nor think that's it's something that can be ignored.   People need to be prepared imho and start thinking in terms of avoiding large public places.   8 confirmed cases in the UK and some of them are apparently not caused by any contact with Chinese people or any travel to Asia.   Remember the authorities in truth have absolutely no clue how many cases there are because they can only report the cases that have been specifically reported.  There will be a great many more not being reported imho.

We're doing Baltic/Scandanavian in Sept. and I'm going to make a note to look at the status before our 100% refundable date rolls around. I mainly am concerned about the pandemic aspect. 

53 minutes ago, clo said:

Yikes! Is that all the travel you do?

Are people hesitant about being closed in or is it traveling in general? I understand we won't know for a while if this is going to be a pandemic.

Pretty much, since I’m a solo traveler. It’s what I feel safest doing, and a lot of times, I have friends booked on same cruises.

I do go down to San Diego to visit my daughter. Is that OK for land travel?

Edited by crzndeb

I have been on five cruises in 8 months,  I was never sick and was quite diligent about sanitizing and washing hands.

I just returned from and eight day cruise and I was just as careful,  but I still picked up a cruise crud with no fever a day after I returned home.

I have cruise in April with my grandaughter but it will be the last time for quite a while.

I can not fathom being quarantined for 2 weeks.

On a land based trip, I have more control over my environment.

There are too many variables with cruising that are out of my control and I don't care for it at all.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, jdemps said:

I'm not worried about getting the nova coronavirus, the flu maybe, but not the virus the media has everyone going crazy over.  

Finally see here a person who understands that a fuss with the coronavirus is too exaggerated and only God knows why and who benefits from it

• Like 1