Ideas for future Crystal Cruises for 2020/2021?

Ok - a little lighthearted relief from the very serious topic of Corona Virus and the implications for the Crystal ocean fleet....

Aided by a few wines and other alcoholic beverages in Umi Uma last night I’ve developed a great suggestion for Crystal on how to utilise the fleet over the coming months 

They should take one or both vessels to Sydney and run a continuous shuttle run from Sydney to Los Angeles - did someone just say Sea Days!  They could mix up routes via French Polynesia or the more northerly South Pacific islands. They could also circumnavigate Australia for a bit of variety (no Asia stops though)

They could even sell 10 trip tickets and offer the 10th cruise free - like a coffee loyalty card

Then when Symphony is due for her dry dock in Singapore it’s an easy redeployment for them 

OK so being an Aussie I have to admit to being a little biased with this idea 

I guess other options would be to locate a vessel in the Med and offer a variety of cruises over the next year 

Just a thought....so what’s your idea?

Unfortunately it’s going to get hard to do much as countries close off or restrict borders - that’s going to severely limit the ability of people to get to/from Cruises 

A few years ago, as Keith,Roy and others  here may recall, we also played a "where you wished a ship COULD go" ie land destinations   I will start with my favorite place in the world other than Japan and Australia: Jackson Hole Wyoming, The Tetons and Yellowstone, and back to LAX via Amtrak(maybe Crystal Endeavor or one of the river boats e so it could fit on a freight train and sail  on Jenny  Lake etc   We did not have these more feasible options a few years ago. Someone put the ship right on the map of the us-made me laugh )

Do y'all remember the cruise to nowhere /vertigo cruise with the bond drawing in one of Roy's post?  That was too funny:)

Edited by wearesiamese

Roy - no requirement from a passenger perspective but they’d probably add in Bali or Papua New Guinea or maybe even New Caledonia or Mystery Island in Vanuatu to slow them to do duty free (and there may be other reasons I’m not aware of but there’s plenty of domestic ports only cruises run over summer in Australia) 

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Does Australia have a cabotage law which would preclude a circumnavigation of Australia without a foreign port?

Perhaps Auckland or Mauritius would need to be added?

Roy

Roy, Mauritius is a long, long way from Australia, on the other side of the Indian Ocean. Several sea days travel. Even Auckland is two days from Sydney or Melbourne. Most of the circumnavigations go across to Alotau in Papua New Guinea.

I don't think there is a cabotage law but there are restrictions on duty free sales if the ship doesn't go to a non-Australian port. There is work-around for cruises up the Queenland Coast. They visit Willis Island, drop anchor, give a short briefing about the island, raise anchor and carry on cruising. 

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Roy - no requirement from a passenger perspective but they’d probably add in Bali or Papua New Guinea or maybe even New Caledonia or Mystery Island in Vanuatu to slow them to do duty free (and there may be other reasons I’m not aware of but there’s plenty of domestic ports only cruises run over summer in Australia) 

A lot of the smaller South Pacific Islands are currently banning cruise ships. I think Noumea is still OK, as is Vanuatu, and PNG. Lombok reputedly has a new dock so that's an option. When we did a Top End cruise that was the non-Australian port we went to. However if they combined Australia with some NZ ports - Tauranga, Auckland and the Bay of Island (I wouldn't want to go further south than that after April) then they could do some great itineraries.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot of the smaller South Pacific Islands are currently banning cruise ships. I think Numea is still OK, as is Vanuatu, and PNG. Lombok reputedly has a new dock so that's an option

I’ve been to Lombok - not a lot to recommend it I’m afraid 

Normally I’d say Bali but in the current circumstances I’d be aiming for developed countries - so maybe the Willis Reef option would be better

Edited by Stickman1990
57 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ve been to Lombok - not a lot to recommend it I’m afraid 

I agree. The excursion we did (not on a Crystal cruise) was quite boring. A lot of driving around in a bus with nothing very interesting at the stop. Plenty of shopping opportunites though. 🙄