Jump to content

Toilet seats on Princess


Recommended Posts

I've been following David Abel on Diamond Princess and his latest post was excellent.  His positive attitude is commendable.  He talked about a heated toilet seat in his mini suite on Diamond Princess.   Does anyone know if these heated seats are on any other Princess ship?   I'm booked on Majestic and Regal in balconies, but if the mini suites have these toilet seats, I'm thinking of upgrading.

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fisherwoman said:

I've been following David Abel on Diamond Princess and his latest post was excellent.  His positive attitude is commendable.  He talked about a heated toilet seat in his mini suite on Diamond Princess.   Does anyone know if these heated seats are on any other Princess ship?   I'm booked on Majestic and Regal in balconies, but if the mini suites have these toilet seats, I'm thinking of upgrading.

 

Thanks in advance.

Simple. Just let your husband go first. And then you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fisherwoman said:

I've been following David Abel on Diamond Princess and his latest post was excellent.  His positive attitude is commendable.  He talked about a heated toilet seat in his mini suite on Diamond Princess.   Does anyone know if these heated seats are on any other Princess ship?   I'm booked on Majestic and Regal in balconies, but if the mini suites have these toilet seats, I'm thinking of upgrading.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

When the Diamond went to drydock many things were modified for Asian clientele including adding heated toilet seats.  I’ve never had them on other Princess ships I’ve sailed nor have I read about anyone else having them on Princess ships except for the Diamond.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are only in mini-suites and above, plus some public restrooms. They are fitted when the ship is cruising Japan but were removed when Diamond spent a season or two in Australia.

 

They are very common in Japan in hotels and many public restrooms. They are also available in other countries now. I'm in Australia and I've had one for several years. It's fantastic. I believe they are also available in the US.

 

The generic name is Japanese Bidet Toilet Seat and they can be fitted to any standard toilet. The very clever Japanese took the Europen bidet concept, which is usually a separate unit, and turned it into a very practical device.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very self explanatory controller.....one of those buttons is the ejection seat.....another plays the star spangled banner so you have to get up......and a couple are for when you go as a couple.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ghstudio said:

Very self explanatory controller.....one of those buttons is the ejection seat.....another plays the star spangled banner so you have to get up......and a couple are for when you go as a couple.

 

 

Great explanation. I can’t stop laughing 👍

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are only in mini-suites and above, plus some public restrooms. They are fitted when the ship is cruising Japan but were removed when Diamond spent a season or two in Australia.

 

They are very common in Japan in hotels and many public restrooms. They are also available in other countries now. I'm in Australia and I've had one for several years. It's fantastic. I believe they are also available in the US.

 

The generic name is Japanese Bidet Toilet Seat and they can be fitted to any standard toilet. The very clever Japanese took the Europen bidet concept, which is usually a separate unit, and turned it into a very practical device.

 

 

We had something similar on our Crystal River cruise. Toto is a popular brand in the US. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Very self explanatory controller.....one of those buttons is the ejection seat.....another plays the star spangled banner so you have to get up......and a couple are for when you go as a couple.

 

 

 

You forgot to mention the proctology button that launches the probe 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

 

When the Diamond went to drydock many things were modified for Asian clientele including adding heated toilet seats.  I’ve never had them on other Princess ships I’ve sailed nor have I read about anyone else having them on Princess ships except for the Diamond.

Diamond Princess - Jan 19th, 2019 - Feb 1st, 2019 - 14 days - Singapore Dry Dock   
  • Upgraded MUTS sound and pool deck LED lighting
  • New casino carpet, lights, and flat screens
  • Lotus Spa treatment rooms have been upgraded and new fitness equipment have been installed in the workout area
  • Upgraded audio in Princess Theater, Explorers Lounge, and Club Fusion
  • New furnishings in the Horizon Court
  • Suites and public restrooms now include Japanese style bidets
Edited by brisalta
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coral said:

We had something similar on our Crystal River cruise. Toto is a popular brand in the US. 

Yes, Toto is one of the main brands. I've seen others in Japan. Mine is a Royalet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think women appreciate them more than men due to the nature of the female "plumbing".

 

When I first encountered them in Japan I noticed that most non-Japanese male tourists were rolling their eyes over them, and the females were all discussing how wonderful they were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think women appreciate them more than men due to the nature of the female "plumbing".

 

When I first encountered them in Japan I noticed that most non-Japanese male tourists were rolling their eyes over them, and the females were all discussing how wonderful they were.

Heck - just the warmed seat (ours must have sensed when we were approaching) was worth it. I swore ours has a light also. It was a topic of discussion on our trip (in a positive way).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Very self explanatory controller.....one of those buttons is the ejection seat.....another plays the star spangled banner so you have to get up......and a couple are for when you go as a couple.

 

 

 

Which button plays The Love Boat Theme? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fisherwoman said:

I've been following David Abel on Diamond Princess and his latest post was excellent.  His positive attitude is commendable.  He talked about a heated toilet seat in his mini suite on Diamond Princess.   Does anyone know if these heated seats are on any other Princess ship?   I'm booked on Majestic and Regal in balconies, but if the mini suites have these toilet seats, I'm thinking of upgrading.

 

Thanks in advance.

Those were put on the Diamond when it was remodeled for the Japanese market. So you will not find them on most other Princess ships.  It is probably the only one.

Edited by npcl
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coral said:

Heck - just the warmed seat (ours must have sensed when we were approaching) was worth it. I swore ours has a light also. It was a topic of discussion on our trip (in a positive way).

They are warm all the time, and the wash water is also warm. I haven't ever seen one with a light, other than various LEDs denoting it is on etc, but it wouldn't surprise me. Some even play music to mask any natural sounds. The dry function is a waste of time, unless you want to sit there for ages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one installed at home , best thing we have done makes toilet hygiene very easy , frankly I use the wash system every time I use it and fret when I am somewhere where they dont have one

 

Regards

John 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oldjetdriver said:

Picture of the controller for toilet on Diamond Princess

 

IMG_2241.JPG

A few years ago these toilet seats were installed on the Sun Princess before her season in Japan. They were in suites and the toilets in public areas. The up-grade of the toilet also includes a bidet function.

 

On one occasion I went into the 'Ladies' before going into the show. I didn't realise that the previous person had pushed the button for the bidet function. The spray of water apparently stopped when the person stood, thereby removing their weight from the seat. When I sat down, I got a h..l of a shock when a spray of water hit my 'under-carriage'. I got off that toilet seat very quickly. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are warm all the time, and the wash water is also warm. I haven't ever seen one with a light, other than various LEDs denoting it is on etc, but it wouldn't surprise me. Some even play music to mask any natural sounds. The dry function is a waste of time, unless you want to sit there for ages.

When I looked at the instructions, it was something like four minutes for the wash cycle, then another 4 or more minutes for the dry. Just imagine sitting there that long when there is a queue of women waiting to use one of the three cubicles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

A few years ago these toilet seats were installed on the Sun Princess before her season in Japan. They were in suites and the toilets in public areas. The up-grade of the toilet also includes a bidet function.

 

On one occasion I went into the 'Ladies' before going into the show. I didn't realise that the previous person had pushed the button for the bidet function. The spray of water apparently stopped when the person stood, thereby removing their weight from the seat. When I sat down, I got a h..l of a shock when a spray of water hit my 'under-carriage'. I got off that toilet seat very quickly. 😁

 

Now that seems like a design defect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When I looked at the instructions, it was something like four minutes for the wash cycle, then another 4 or more minutes for the dry. Just imagine sitting there that long when there is a queue of women waiting to use one of the three cubicles.

 

That sounds like a long time for the wash. On my one I just press the stop button when I think I'm done. The dry cycle is a waste of time though. A quick blot with toilet paper is sufficient.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...