Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greeba

Greta's Dawn 01/22/06-02/02/06 Review-Pt. 1

I’m stealing Anni’s idea of breaking it up in pieces! If I try to do it all at once, I'll never get it done! We had a fantastic time. Here's part one!

Embarkation/Disembarkation/Tenders

Both were fine. No major disasters, but disembarkation at the end of the trip was way more organized than when we first got on the ship. I think the key is to just be patient and wait your turn, which isn’t my strong point, but by the end of the trip I chilled out a little. The taxis waiting for us when we got home were more organized this year than last, and we got one probably in 10 minutes or so. Make sure you get a movie ticket on the way out; they call the numbers on the tickets and you wait your turn.

On the way out of NYC on the first night of the cruise, my husband and I were in the hot tub in the front of the ship. It was funny because everyone was looking at us like we were insane. I highly recommend this!

The Ship and the Ship’s Crew

The ship is beautiful and well kept, like Anni said. The people work so hard and they are still very cheerful even when dealing with crabby cruisers. I saw one front desk woman brought to tears by an unhappy cruiser. There has got to be another way! Everyone was so open and willing to tell you about their families back home, their histories, how they ended up on the ship, etc. We especially liked Nestor Arguson, the waiter in the sushi bar, and the trainers in the gym, Andy and Dan. We were disappointed with no towel animals, but we also realized how hard the guys taking care of our cabins worked and decided we could do without them. We missed Colin, of course, but no one will ever live up to his legend! We overheard more than one person talking about how much they loved him. I have honestly never heard one person say one bad thing about him ever. The cruise director was Linda. She was nice enough, but she just didn’t seem very genuine. I believe she was replaced by Lance, who was Colin’s assistant, but I never confirmed this. I don't remember one bad experience with a crew member.

The Gym

I spent a lot of time in the gym because I really didn’t want to gain a lot of weight on the cruise. They have some free classes (aerobics, stretch and relax, power walk, mile run, boxing) and others that you pay $10 each for (cycling, yoga, pilates-based mat, fitball class). I got a pass that gets you 3 pay classes for $25 instead of $30 that I used up easily. The best classes were the stretch and relax, boxing, pilates, cycling, yoga, and fitball. I have been working out regularly for 6 months or so and I definitely learned some new stuff in the boxing, pilates and fitball classes that I plan on incorporating into my workouts at home. Oh, and I didn't gain a pound and I ate what I wanted! I highly recommend checking it out. Andy and Dan are really friendly and will answer any questions you have and they also offer personal training. We got my father a session for his birthday and he learned a lot.

Our Room

We got an upsell from an outside view room on the 5th deck to a balcony room on deck 8 a couple of weeks before sailing for $200. It was well worth it. Last year we had a mini suite on deck 11 and I wouldn’t pay the extra money for that again. Apart from being larger, the only real difference to us was the lack of bathtub and drawer space. Not worth the $1200 more it would have cost.

The guys who took care of our room were really nice and always asked us how we were doing when we saw them and asked after my husband who broke his leg on one of the islands (more about that later!). It was really nice to have someone make our bed as we’re too lazy to do this at home. The only bad thing was that the toilet didn’t always flush right when you pushed the button. It seemed slightly clogged the whole time we were on the ship. Of course, we didn’t complain because we figured there were probably loads of other people complaining about things all week. It eventually flushed, so we dealt with it. And who really cares about anything when you’re in 80-something degree weather and on vacation!

Next installment will include more about food and excursions!

Greta

Great mini review Greta. I can't wait to hear more about your husbands broken leg.....I hope he is doing well?

:)

Keep it coming! Don't leave us in suspense too long! Hope you hubbie is recovering well!

How were the seas on the way down?

~Connie

Keep it coming! Don't leave us in suspense too long! Hope you hubbie is recovering well!

How were the seas on the way down?

~Connie

Mostly okay although I think on the 2nd or 3rd night I was pretty ill. Had to take a bonine and go to sleep.

I'll write more tonight or tomorrow...

Greta