Cruise Critic Community
tandrew

Coronavirus Screening

Has anyone recently sailed on a Celebrity cruise since the tighter screening requirements have been in place? Did you feel that the cruise line did an adequate job or is it basically relying on passengers self reporting potential contact with someone who recently visited China? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, tandrew said:

Has anyone recently sailed on a Celebrity cruise since the tighter screening requirements have been in place? Did you feel that the cruise line did an adequate job or is it basically relying on passengers self reporting potential contact with someone who recently visited China? Thanks!

It was good. But how do you really screen for a virus that often begins with a slight cough. I take a medicine that gives me such a cough. Do not have a temp or blood saturation issue so all OK.  Many are without symptoms at first. Think outside of Asia and specifically China have no worries for our upcoming cruise from Florida either.

18 minutes ago, tandrew said:

What would be your suggestion for a more adequate job?

How else can they even try to determine if you had contact with a person who visited China?

They probably can check your passport to see if YOU have been there.

I don't see what else can be done to check your contacts.

So... yes, I believe they are doing all they can.

6 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

How else can they even try to determine if you had contact with a person who visited China?

Fair point. 

32 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

they should ban people who've been to japan, singapore, all of SE asia, europe and north america as there are cases and local transmission in all those places 

Also wondering the same. I'm now a little worried that I myself will be denied boarding, for whatever reason! Popping Kirkland gummy vitamins by the handful! 😝

I have a chronic cough and lower O2 sats, so I'm a bit nervous about the screening, even though I'm otherwise healthy and haven't been out of the country for months or been in contact with anyone who has. But I understand why they've implemented the screening. I don't see what more they could do. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed - we board in less than 2 weeks.

@mom says, Might be a good precaution to get a letter from your doctor explaining your cough & O2 issues.

23 minutes ago, mom says said:

I have a chronic cough and lower O2 sats, so I'm a bit nervous about the screening, even though I'm otherwise healthy and haven't been out of the country for months or been in contact with anyone who has. But I understand why they've implemented the screening. I don't see what more they could do. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed - we board in less than 2 weeks.

Please let us know how you make out! I sweat unmercifully when I'm nervous or stressed so I'm nervous to go through the screening myself!

36 minutes ago, mom says said:

I have a chronic cough caused by a medicine I take. Will bring a letter from my doctor. No problem. All cruiselines are doing all they can.

As for being in China in the last 14 days. They are checking passports. Only takes a minute or less. This should not be an issue in a few more days with the travel ban from China to most countries.

We embarked Infinity on Saturday and the woman checking us in read from a paper and asked if we had been to China, Hong Kong, and two other places we couldn't quite make out what she said, I think one of them was Macau.  She was unsure how to pronounce them.  We said no, and she didn't look in our passports at all except the first page to make sure we matched the name on the reservation.  So, it's just self reporting really.  They were just the usual port workers, we didn't see any medical personnel around.

2 hours ago, gilboman said:

they should ban people who've been to japan, singapore, all of SE asia, europe and north america as there are cases and local transmission in all those places 

They have been doing this.  I read on another forum of someone who was told they wouldn’t be allowed to board because they had been to HK within 30 days of boarding. 

2 hours ago, gilboman said:

I think a few missed your tongue-in-cheek about banning......and your point is well taken. I’d also add, ban anyone who has been with anyone from the regions you listed!!! And yup, I have no realistic ideas. 

Den

55 minutes ago, amyr said:

she didn't look in our passports at all except the first page to make sure we matched the name on the reservation.  So, it's just self reporting really.

Plus since passport stamping is going more and more out of style, it wouldn't do much good to look at the other pages.  I wish ports and airports would stamp for souvenir reasons, but they rarely do in my travels.

3 hours ago, gilboman said:

So only those from South American, Africa, Russia and the Middle East can board????

11 minutes ago, mpk said:

Plus since passport stamping is going more and more out of style, it wouldn't do much good to look at the other pages.  I wish ports and airports would stamp for souvenir reasons, but they rarely do in my travels.

Except for Chinese visas.  When we went it was a full page sticker, pretty hard to miss.  I'm not sure how those new 144(?) hour  visa waivers work in China nowadays though.  I think maybe they're eVisas?  It used to be pretty obvious if you'd been to China for any length of time, but now maybe not depending on what type of travel you've done. 

Either way, I'm not sure a port worker in Miami has the proper training to even know what to look for, nor do they have the ability of immigration officials to check your passage history.  They're mostly trying to ensure a smooth embarkation for the passenger - take your picture, give you your cabin key, etc. Welcome aboard! 

Pretty sure someone who has been in China within the past 14 days would not be allowed into the US or would be in quarantine already... Aren’t most airlines not flying between the US and China??

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

I have a chronic cough caused by a medicine I take. Will bring a letter from my doctor. No problem. All cruiselines are doing all they can.

As for being in China in the last 14 days. They are checking passports. Only takes a minute or less. This should not be an issue in a few more days with the travel ban from China to most countries.

I went on a tour to China in March 2019. But my 10 year visa is in my old expired passport. So if they check my passport it won't have a record of my visit.  Just saying checking passports aren't a foolproof way of telling who has been and who has not. 

How do they know where you’ve been since they don’t always stamp passport

14 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

How do they know where you’ve been since they don’t always stamp passport

Isn’t the whole reason for the 3 days prior to sailing thing so that the manifest can be submitted to CBP (or Homeland Security) for them to screen it? Pretty sure they can check that list against anyone entering the country.

But again, are there even any airlines still allowed to go between China et al and the US that have flown within the past 14 days? How are they getting here?

1 hour ago, amyr said:

We embarked Infinity on Saturday and the woman checking us in read from a paper and asked if we had been to China, Hong Kong, and two other places we couldn't quite make out what she said, I think one of them was Macau.  She was unsure how to pronounce them.  We said no, and she didn't look in our passports at all except the first page to make sure we matched the name on the reservation.  So, it's just self reporting really.  They were just the usual port workers, we didn't see any medical personnel around.

I was in HK and Macau last year and they dont stamp your passports they gave us a slip of paper to turn in 

Does anyone believe a 14 day ban will be effective?

I have heard the numbers may level off.....hopefuly true.!

Not sure what an adequate process/procedure would be to minimize the risk of having an infected passenger board the ship, I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance that all reasonable measures are being taken. While I know it’d be time consuming and costly, I’d be a fan of screening everyone prior to boarding.

I hadn’t considered how much of this relies on the due diligence of port employees, hopefully they‘ll receive increased training if necessary.  

Could they not take body temperature? While that wouldn’t get everyone, it might catch a couple? Not sure if that would work but I’ve heard other lines have done it in the past. 

20 hours ago, gilboman said:

Interesting, since a UK businessman infected 11 people in Europe...