Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
YTOcruisers

Limassol, Cyprus - what to do for a day?

We are travelling onboard the Celestyal Crystal at the end of February and have a LONG first port in Egypt (12 hour excursion to Cairo) and then a LONG next port (10 hour excursion to Bethlehem and Jerusalem) in Israel. Our next port is Limassol, Cyprus from 11am to 6pm and because of the 2 intense days before this we decided to just get off the ship, have lunch and walk around the city. Any suggestions of places to eat or things to do for the day in Limassol?

Since no one else has replied, I will say that I've been in Limassol several times and it is a very dusty, rather depressing place if you just stay in the city. Perhaps the new marina area is better now but when I went it was disappointing.

I would recommend at least a half-day of sightseeing in order to see some of the nearby highlights such as Kourion and Kolossi castle.  Even better, go to Paphos which is much more charming.

Posted (edited)

We spent two weeks in Cyprus last October.  Paphos at one end,  Proaris at the other, with Nicosia nearby.  Besides the arch. sites, Nicosia has a fabulous small museum.

But....I would be tempted to rent a car (right hand drive, usually standard) and drive up through the mountains, up past the ski hills.  Very different scenery, some lovely small villages and churches.  When we left Paphos the temperature was 33.  Two hours later, in the mountains, it was 22.  You could do a circle tour, take in the scenery, a church or two, and perhaps a vineyard.

We gave Limossol a complete miss.  Drove right by twice.  

Edited by iancal

I'd rather stay on ship or if there were more time go to Paphos as you can buy some leather souvenirs and the place itself is historic

IF you decide to go to Nicosia.....do not forget your passport. You will need it if you want to cross into the Turkish part of the city.