Price Drop Not Honored

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've been cruising for over 15 years and dont remember and refunds on rcl after final payment.

Early saver on carnival, yes, but not rcl.

There have been times when I locked in a date, and the date before or after went down but not mine.

700 is a lot, so I can understand why the op isnt happy. We all had some good deals and not so good deals. Sorry 

Maybe it was a bit longer than that then but it definitely happened.  Wish Bob was still posting as it was from his posts that I know that this did in fact happen.  He referred to the golden next cruise certificates that if you had one still operated under the old terms and conditions.  One of those conditions did allow price drops after final payment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

It was over $700 difference.

That's a big drop, but you could see it drop even more.  They are trying to fill up the ship before the sail date.  If only I lived close to a port...

I try not to look at prices after final payment has passed.  

• Like 1

Royal did allow after final pay but I think that ended around 2007? I know because I got quite a few on a trip in 2006 but can't remember any since then 😞 Plus then final pay was a lot closer to sail date so time frame was longer.  Oh well, times they are a changin' 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe that’s only on one specific fare category.

Yep, early savers only.  I have so much difficulty understanding their pricing online - this 2 category upgrade but then you select  your cabin? I've given up trying to understand that one... SMH

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

It was over $700 difference.

How much is the penalty for canceling, if it's less than $700, book again and then cancel the first booking, also you siad you were told there are no upgrades, that essentially may be true, but if there are better cabins available at a lesser price than you already paid you should be able to change cabins

There is a bit of a learning curve with cruise shopping. What you bought with that early, higher fare was the ability to know you are on that sailing, perhaps with your best choice of cabin, and with that knowledge you can buy flights, arrange your work schedule, arrange child/pet coverage, etc. I almost always buy after final payment because I'm value driven but that means I give up certain times of year and popular ships and itineraries. I bought a cruise Monday that leaves tomorrow, just a short one, but it fit my schedule and the price was very low. That requires a certain level of flexibility most people don't have. They want to fill the ship to increase onboard revenue, thus the price drops. If the ship sells out, you don't see those significant price drops. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, Linzym2020 said:

Similar to my story...

I booked via Priceline and I paid in full at time of booking. Noticed there was a price drop  but because I paid in full there was no price adjustments. Im like ok... how is this logical?  Im being penalized because I paid you everything you want up front... strange. After back and forth with Priceline who was on the phone with RC,  they said we can  give you a upgraded room ( we were in basic inside cabin which we wanted)  to a window view for $50.00  I was like uhmm no... im calling to get money back ($350 usd) not pay more money. Their best and final was a $25.00 OBC or an upgrade to a virtual balcony room. We didn't want either TBH but we knew the value of a Virtual room was more than $25 so we just took that. 

Was it a Priceline group booking, and was it Priceline or RCL that refused to honor the price drop?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your information. I am not unhappy, just disappointed. I try to spend money wisely being retired. Thank you Jasukkie and Orville99 for your perspectives and information.   We’re looking forward to sailing regardless. Have a great day.

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've been cruising for over 15 years and dont remember and refunds on rcl after final payment.

Early saver on carnival, yes, but not rcl.

There have been times when I locked in a date, and the date before or after went down but not mine.

700 is a lot, so I can understand why the op isnt happy. We all had some good deals and not so good deals. Sorry 

The last one I remember getting on Royal was in 2009, so just over 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Royal used to refund after final payment. In fact, they kept doing it even when other cruise lines stopped doing it. NCL was the first to stop the practice. I always like to blame NCL  in my mind as it just takes one cruise line to charge more for something or impose a policy that is less favorable for the consumer before other lines follow. 

36 minutes ago, akcruz said:

The last one I remember getting on Royal was in 2009, so just over 10 years ago.

We started sailing RCL in 2010, and as best I can remember, they made the change around the same time they launched their never-ending BOGO sale in 2014.

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We started sailing RCL in 2010, and as best I can remember, they made the change around the same time they launched their never-ending BOGO sale in 2014.

We started in 2011 and it was never available for us.  It was closer to the time that they switched to points per day as opposed to cruise credits.

15 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

Got it.  I’m not trying to cause trouble. I’m just learning about the process. Thanks

You should have received a statement from RCI showing what you paid, and what you paid for. 

It always shows final payment date. 

I don't believe any cruise line will make adjustments after final payment except upgrades with additional cost. 

The more you are on Cruise Critic, the more savvy you will become!

Enjoy  your cruise and stick with us. We all learn new things on these boards every day!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I almost always buy after final payment because I'm value driven but that means I give up certain times of year and popular ships and itineraries. I bought a cruise Monday that leaves tomorrow, just a short one, but it fit my schedule and the price was very low.

I've looked into this, but the airfare never works out.   For drive-to cruises, this would be great, but fly-to not so much  😃

On 2/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, Texas Flood said:

On Jan 26, 2020  booked a cruise leaving April 8, 2020 from Rome on the Jewel of the Seas.  I noticed that the price is now $500 lower than what we paid.  I called customer service and they said they could not make any adjustments to our price.  Is the normal?  

Chances are it will be canceled anyway.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:49 PM, dodgestang said:

You are past final payment date....yes that is normal.  RCCL lets you reprice up till final payment date which is 90 days out.

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk but always thought it was 90 days before the cruise leaves. After that its final.

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

On your invoice or simply do the math yourself- 90 days before sailing. 

In North America it may be 90 days out for final payment but all my invoices state full balance is due 8 weeks (56 days) before sail date.

20 minutes ago, icsys said:

In North America it may be 90 days out for final payment but all my invoices state full balance is due 8 weeks (56 days) before sail date.

Yes, other markets have different final payment deadlines, but , in markets where price drops are usually possible (which this thread is about), generally, final payment is 90 days out. 

We are passed final payment.  I noticed a price drop today that was fairly significant for a balcony gty.  We were in promenade.  Called and they got us changed.  Took a few times on hold, but it all worked out! Glad I came across this thread today! It changed our view for the upcoming cruise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoonerDan said:

We are passed final payment.  I noticed a price drop today that was fairly significant for a balcony gty.  We were in promenade.  Called and they got us changed.  Took a few times on hold, but it all worked out! Glad I came across this thread today! It changed our view for the upcoming cruise

Always good to hear a good outcome someone is happy with.

I only booked last night and saw the rate lower today, I thought $40 but now I think closer to $80.

You have to be fast and see if there is something better they can change you to in a higher category before the new lower rates are snapped up.

Seems like they decided to fill up my ship this morning. 

We all need to watch and be on our toes if wanting a upgrade, though I'm happy where I am and the cruise I got. Rates are already back up to more. 

That's the one thing about cruising, wish they gave refunds when prices drop .. 90 days is a big window imo. 

As this virus news changes, a lot of people could see price drops. Just have to not be upset. It's how it is... but I expect more to see price drops close in. 

Edited by firefly333