Cruise Critic Community
TeanneTX

Internet Question

I purchased internet for an upcoming cruise for myself and my husband.  They didn't really give any information about the internet except the cost and that it would be "delivered to my cabin".  Anyone have any experience with HAL's internet.  Is it unlimited and can you use more than one device.  Is the ship wifi cabable?  I'm on Nieuw Amsterdam leaving FLL on Feb 29.  We like to read and check emails and surf online.  HAL's website leaves a lot to be desired.They could learn something from Celebrity and RCCL.

Teanne

Good morning. Yes, the ship is wifi capable:) I download the HAL app at home, then logon to the wifi when I board. It is very easy to follow the instructions. Check to see what plan you purchased in order to determine what your internet pkg is capable of.

9 minutes ago, TeanneTX said:

I purchased internet for an upcoming cruise for myself and my husband.  They didn't really give any information about the internet except the cost and that it would be "delivered to my cabin".  Anyone have any experience with HAL's internet.  Is it unlimited and can you use more than one device.  Is the ship wifi cabable?  I'm on Nieuw Amsterdam leaving FLL on Feb 29.  We like to read and check emails and surf online.  HAL's website leaves a lot to be desired.They could learn something from Celebrity and RCCL.

Teanne

If you pre-purchased internet then you would have bought the premium package as it is the only one available to pre-book.

It is unlimited.  You can use more than one device but only one device at a time.  You need to log off of one device to log on to another.

There have been posts of being able to use multiple devices but it costs additional $$$.  I haven’t seen it offered myself.  It’s relatively new and not sure if it is available on all ships or not.

The ship is wifi capable. It’s satellite so how good the internet is depends upon the satellite reception.

For access, just follow Seasick Sailor’s advice regarding downloading the HAL app before you sail (makes it easier).  Hope this helps.

When you board on day 1 there will be a letter in your stateroom with confirmation and instructions of how to log on.

It is for 1 device at a time only, but we had no difficulty when DW logged on, I logged out.

20200211_200456a.jpg

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you pre-purchased internet then you would have bought the premium package as it is the only one available to pre-book.

It is unlimited.  You can use more than one device but only one device at a time.  You need to log off of one device to log on to another.

There have been posts of being able to use multiple devices but it costs additional $$$.  I haven’t seen it offered myself.  It’s relatively new and not sure if it is available on all ships or not.

The ship is wifi capable. It’s satellite so how good the internet is depends upon the satellite reception.

For access, just follow Seasick Sailor’s advice regarding downloading the HAL app before you sail (makes it easier).  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info-very helpful.  I just downloaded the HAL app too.  Thanks again.

Teanne

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

When you board on day 1 there will be a letter in your stateroom with confirmation and instructions of how to log on.

It is for 1 device at a time only, but we had no difficulty when DW logged on, I logged out.

20200211_200456a.jpg

Perfect.  Thank you.  Now it all makes sense.

Teanne