What do you do with your tiles?

palolake

If you just have a few, they do make great coasters.

I have too many and need to make a tray or table with them.  Sadly, they don’t fit the trays I have so I’m going to have to take some careful measurements and get creative. 😉 

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have too many and need to make a tray or table with them.  Sadly, they don’t fit the trays I have so I’m going to have to take some careful measurements and get creative. 😉 

Ditto!  I keep planning to do something with them, but then planning for the next cruise keeps getting in the way!  🤣

2 minutes ago, KidCruze said:

I've never been on HA, but I'm booked on the Westerdam in Alaska this summer. Are these tiles you can buy in the gift shop on board? Do they change each year?

They are given away at a Mariner lunch or you can ask for them at the front desk.  There is a different design tile for every class of ship and the inaugural voyages have a special tile that may be a different size.

7 minutes ago, KidCruze said:

I've never been on HA, but I'm booked on the Westerdam in Alaska this summer. Are these tiles you can buy in the gift shop on board? Do they change each year?

As Btimmer stated, they are given at the Mariner's brunch.  Even though this is your first HAL sailing, if you have sailed with any line owned by Carnival Corp. you will automatically be granted 1-star Mariner status and should get an invite to the brunch.

Edited by Bostonjetset

4 hours ago, kazu said:

You could purchase some small tiles, maybe 1" by 1" and add a border design. You could also purchase a couple blue plates and break them up and use them as filler too. The building supply stores will sell the supplies you need. If you use broken plates, I have found that after securing the tiles with mastic, but prior to grout, add a layer of thin wood to raise the broken pottery to the correct height. Balsa wood can be cut with a razor knife. I have also used craft popsicle sticks raise pottery. I glued them with wood glue and just added pottery with the tile mastic on top of them. It is on a porch that is covered but not enclosed, and as far as I know is still fine after 3 years. You don't necessarily have or need to raise the mosaic level with the tiles, if you didn't want to, just an idea.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, albingirl said:

I'm planning on a bathroom renovation, and since I have about 40 tiles or more, they will make a nifty border in the shower stall.

My parents used their tiles for a shower wall.

But be careful, they are thinner & smaller than standard tiles, particularly when you take off the cork backing.

I no longer take the tile. I find they are a little slippery and I have nicer coasters. The special larger one we were given on the final voyage of the old Statendam is on my shelf of cruise etc. memorabilia near my three plates from grand voyages.

I use them as coasters....however, iced drinks result in pooled water, glass adhering to the coaster...when I pick up the drink, along comes the coaster, which promptly crashes to the floor....thank goodness there is a somewhat regular flow of coasters...

We took four of our favorites to Hobby lobby and had them mounted in a shadowbox which we display in our half bath. It wasn’t cheap but the “hole” we needed to fill the size was perfect. As other stated they are smaller than normal tiles so you cannot frame them with tile frames nor are they all the same size.

08B4068C-C87D-4B6E-B9AF-53C724DBBFF9.jpeg

• Like 5