A couple of questions

gsuoumu

Wife has some vacation days that are set to expire. We originally had decided against a cruise, but her parents who have never cruised before have finally agreed to go on one so I'm looking to book a last minute cruise in early March. Have a couple of questions:

1) I'm currently at 26 C&A points. I don't really "chase" points, but when we hit that point my wife and I did say we would never do anything less than a 4 night cruise for our next one. Well, her parents coming have changed things and since it's last minute the only cruise that makes any sense is a 3 nighter. Which leaves us one point short of platinum. So the Q is: Since we're booking two state rooms, any chance we get credit for those state rooms on our C&A account? Can't imagine my in-laws will ever cruise enough for them to become valuable for them. I have never really done a lot of research in this area since we never imagined it would be something we would do.

2) Last minute and trying to keep price down and in-laws don't have passports. FIL should be fine. Small issue with the MIL though. For whatever reason, the first name on the birth certificate is spelled "Vickey" while her drivers license, marriage license, and virtually everything else in her life is "Vicky". Anyone know if this will cause any issues? I'm obviously going to call RCI. Wife said she had called Carnival (We were looking at some of their cruises earlier but have since decided that we just can't cheat on RCI) earlier and they said as long as the booking name matches the driver's license it won't be an issue. But I will be calling RCI and thought I'd get some thoughts here as well. I know the generic response will be "Get an expedited passport" but we're really trying to keep the cost down for the in-laws. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

You will not get points for the other people in your group, regardless of who pays for it. The points are awarded to the person cruising, not the person paying.

Figured as much. Bummer. Oh well. 

11 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

Book a Jr/Mini Suite and get 2 points per night

This is what we did to get to diamond. Needed 9 points. Booked a 5-night in a Jr Suite on the Enchantment  so we’d be diamond before a B2B on the Allure. 

• Like 1

It would cost a little more, but you could book your wife in the room with the in laws, and you in a room as a single.  You would get double points which your wife would basically share.  Obviously, once on board she would stay in your room.

To be honest, its not really worth it for Platinum - If it were diamond, it might make sense.

1 hour ago, Wordell1 said:

It would cost a little more, but you could book your wife in the room with the in laws, and you in a room as a single.  You would get double points which your wife would basically share.  Obviously, once on board she would stay in your room.

To be honest, its not really worth it for Platinum - If it were diamond, it might make sense.

Totally agree.  Save the splurges when you approach 80 points.

jc

2 hours ago, Wordell1 said:

What I was thinking as well. Like I said, I don't really "chase" points. Especially not now when there's not much difference. 

Bigger concern right now is we might not be able to go at all because of the mother-in-law's name issue. Getting an expedited passport isn't really worth it for the value of the cruise itself and for someone that would probably never use it again. Looking into getting the driver's license name changed to reflect the birth certificate, but if that doesn't work we might be SOL. 

54 minutes ago, gsuoumu said:

What I was thinking as well. Like I said, I don't really "chase" points. Especially not now when there's not much difference. 

Bigger concern right now is we might not be able to go at all because of the mother-in-law's name issue. Getting an expedited passport isn't really worth it for the value of the cruise itself and for someone that would probably never use it again. Looking into getting the driver's license name changed to reflect the birth certificate, but if that doesn't work we might be SOL. 

I can’t imagine that a 3 night cruise would require a passport.  Wouldn’t a birth certificate and a driver’s license be enough?  And, a BC will never match the name of a married woman and her drivers license.  

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

I can’t imagine that a 3 night cruise would require a passport.  Wouldn’t a birth certificate and a driver’s license be enough?

jc

See the original post. There's an issue with my MIL's birth certificate where the first name has an erroneous "e" and thus doesn't match the way her name is spelled on the driver's license. 

When do you leave?  I am betting that 99% likely that the misspelled BC or DL will not be a problem.  My wife was able to fly a few years ago when she left both her drivers license and passport at home, but she had a work ID and a credit card.  A bit of a moment but they let her fly.  

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

When do you leave?  I am betting that 99% likely that the misspelled BC or DL will not be a problem.  My wife was able to fly a few years ago when she left both her drivers license and passport at home, but she had a work ID and a credit card.  A bit of a moment but they let her fly.  

Looking to go March 6. We're looking into it. As of right now the people we've spoken to at RCI say she won't be able to board. Would they even catch it at the port? Probably not. But that's one helluva risk to take. We're looking into seeing about getting the name on her driver's licensed changed. Apparently getting the name on the birth certificate amended could take up to 12 weeks.

I agree that the DL change would be easier.  That said, in two weeks, you can easily get an expedited passport.  Find a good passport expediting company, and pay a couple of hundred for a passport and you will be good to go.  On the other hand is father-in-law ok with having the cabin to himself, then the worst case scenario is MIL stays home.  I don’t know about you, but I could probably live with that scenario....🤣

jc

12 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I agree that the DL change would be easier.  That said, in two weeks, you can easily get an expedited passport.  Find a good passport expediting company, and pay a couple of hundred for a passport and you will be good to go.  On the other hand is father-in-law ok with having the cabin to himself, then the worst case scenario is MIL stays home.  I don’t know about you, but I could probably live with that scenario....🤣

jc

If her birth certificate doesn't match the other ID can she even get passport?

Just an fyi - assuming she changed her last name upon marriage that could cause a problem if the first name is different than the birth certificate and the (changed) driver's license. While they don't always ask for a marriage certificate, they certainly are within their right to ask for it as it's the bridge between the two names proving both documents are you. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If her birth certificate doesn't match the other ID can she even get passport?

I am reluctant to share this because I wouldn't want you to have a problem if you take me at my word.  And I realize you said you're trying to NOT to go the passport route.  BUT....

Years ago when we applied for our first passports, my husband had this exact same issue.  There was an extra letter in his first name on his certified birth certificate.  His whole life... on his drivers licenses, employment, taxes, everything... he spelled his name correctly without that extra letter.  I was really worried about getting the passport, which of course, was in prep for a cruise.  On the passport application, there is a line that asks if you've ever gone by another name, so we listed the incorrect spelling from the birth certificate (just as I noted my maiden and first married name on mine) and sent them in hoping for the best but expecting a problem.  There was no delay, no request for clarification or additional information, nothing.  We received his passport right along with mine.  So IF you opt to get her a passport, see an agent (like the poster above me, at the Post Office or where ever) and submit your application that way.

Would they have noticed at the port had we just tried to sail with his BC and DL.... maybe not.  I was too scared to try it.  But we had more time to deal with a delayed passport than you do.  Best of luck -- hope you make it, and have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Your name on your booking must match your documents....

We're aware. We haven't booked yet. We're hoping she can get the spelling on her DL to match the spelling on her BC and then just book using the matched name. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I can’t imagine that a 3 night cruise would require a passport.  Wouldn’t a birth certificate and a driver’s license be enough?

I just needed a passport for a 2 night cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Nassau in January on Celebrity.

*update* although just reading more it seems like an enhanced DL should have been enough.

Visit the Bahamas Immigration website for the most current visa information. U.S. citizens are generally required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to The Bahamas, as well as proof of anticipated departure from The Bahamas. Those traveling to The Bahamas on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend you obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires you to disembark and return by air.

Edited by twins_to_alaska