Cruise Critic Community
luckyinpa

what insurance would cover me in full?

if i was booked on a cruise to china next week, and the cruise line didnt cancel it, is there any insurance that gives me 100% of my money back if i decided not to go?

alternatively, for the people stuck on the 14 day quarantine, what insurance is available that would have covered such a thing (ie lost time at work not covered, flight changes, additional hotel stays/changes). 

basically what do i need to buy given the new world situation. 

InsureMyTrip recommends that a traveler try to work with the cruise line, airline or tour operator to see if any refund is being offered by them first.  If the traveler has purchased a travel insurance plan with optional Cancel For Any Reason selected, they may be able to be refunded a portion (typically 50-75%) of their insured prepaid non-refundable trip cost if the cruise line cancels the cruise prior to departure and they decide to cancel their entire trip.  Cancel For Any Reason is a time sensitive benefit with some eligibility requirements, and you must be cancelling at least 2 days prior to departure.  — Meghan Walch, Director of Product

Regarding a quarantine, this is something that travel insurance companies would clarify in a policy. We can say that lost time at work would not be covered.

so i'm assuming none of your policies you sell would have covered this then? if they would it would be a great selling point to list them here for us. 

13 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

so i'm assuming none of your policies you sell would have covered this then? if they would it would be a great selling point to list them here for us. 

Since news of the coronavirus, we have seen about a 60 percent increase in travelers purchasing travel insurance with Cancel For Any Reason aka CFAR — so that type of benefit is designed to give travelers the flexibility to cancel their trip "for any reason" (ex. fear of getting sick)  Here's more on that: https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/cancel-for-any-reason/

If you go through the online quote form on InsureMyTrip, you can find filter plans with CFAR included. We attached a screenshot.

We also have cruise-centric travel insurance, that includes inconvenience benefits like:

Here's some more info on your question regarding quarantine:

If I get sick and quarantined on a cruise ship, does travel insurance cover me?

Possibly. Companies have different requirements for what is considered "quarantined", so it is important to read your policy or call to clarify coverage.

If I'm not sick and quarantined on a cruise ship, does travel insurance cover me?

Possibly. Like cruisers who get sick and are quarantined, those who are not sick but are still quarantined are subject to the same guidelines as defined by the provider and policy.

If I get sick with coronavirus on a cruise ship, will travel insurance help evacuate me?

It is extremely rare for travel assistance companies to arrange for evacuation off of a cruise ship. Typically, you have to be hospitalized first and the assistance company will work with the attending physician to arrange transportation to another hospital, or back home if required.

If I get sick with coronavirus on a cruise ship, who pays my medical bills?

If a traveler gets sick on a cruise ship and requires medical care, he or she may be able to file a claim with their travel insurance company to request reimbursement. It is important to keep all receipts and detailed documentation related to medical care received while on your trip.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 9.13.44 AM.png