50th birthday trip - Norway or New York ?

schattenfell71

Hello from Germany,

it is one year ago since we did your first QM2 trip and we are still talking about it. It was an awesome journey.

I know it is a bittle early but my planning has to start soon.

My 50th birthday will be in June 2021 and we would like to make another Cunard travel. I was always dreaming to travel with the QM2 across the Atlantic and to sail into the habour of New York on the QM2. On the other hand I love Norway and to see the fjords would be great too.

Both journeys would be available in 2021 from Hamburg, Germany.

I know that it is possible to book some days extra in New York bfore flying home. I would do that because I want to see New York but I hate to take the plain going home. So it is possible to do a Atlantic crossing, stay a few days in New York and then go back home with the ship (or any Cunard ship) again.

The Norway trip would be easier to handle but I do not know if this is the right way to see the fjords because I guess there will be a lot of other cruise ships around. Another option (in the future) could be a Hurtigruten journey to see Norway better.

I know that you can not make my decicion but you can help me to get pros/cons for both options.

Thanks for your help!

If it was my choice I would go to Norway but that's because I prefer to cruise rather than cross (preferably with a good mix of ports and sea days).

How about doing both ? One this year & one next !!

I am sure you will enjoy whichever you choose.

I'd also recommend the QM2 crossing over QM2 for the Norwegian fjords. A QM2 cruise through the fjords is a spectacular experience (we've done several of them), but she no longer calls at Geiranger, one of the best fjord experiences. For a fjords cruise, I would suggest an itinerary that includes calls at both Flam and Geiranger (among others).

Highly Recommend the Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Though we did it on the QE2, we found to be very enlightening and entertaining to experience. We really looked forward to sharing all the videos and pictures with those at home of what we saw.

Doing it in July, we experienced the un-setting Sunset. Spectacular experience to see and record.

We chose to return on the QE2 TA which was very restful after all the touring on the previous sailing.

Enjoy It! 

You've been on QM2 before so you know how sea days can be both relaxing and activity-filled. If you're ready for a week of those days then the crossing to New York is great, as long as you spend a few days in NYC at the end (I like a QM2 crossing but I could never get on a plane for home on disembarkation day).

Obviously if you like a mix of sea says and port days the crossing may not be the best. 

5 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Is there a chance to do a transatlantic cruise with a loger stop in NY and then go back via ship?

Yes, in late June/early July.

2020:

Westbound June 21-29, in New York June 29 - July 6, eastbound July 6-13.

2021:

Westbound June 23-30, in New York June 30 - July 6, eastbound July 6-13.

There are other opportunities but the period around American Independence Day is about the shortest turnaround if you don't want to head back the day you arrive.

Edited by Underwatr

schattenfell71, since you mentioned you were interested in Hamburg voyages in 2021, do be aware the options Underwatr has listed are crossings between Southampton and New York.

I see no good options for voyages from Hamburg to New York and back to Hamburg where the stay in New York is only a few days. In fact the shortest layover in New York I am able to find for voyages from/to Hamburg during 2021 is 53 days.

But Underwatr's options (for both 2020 and 2021) do continue on to Hamburg on the return voyage. If you are OK with Southampton to New York (westbound) followed by a few days in New York and then New York to Hamburg (eastbound), you do have this option in 2021.

June 23-June 30, 2021 = 7 night westbound crossing Southampton to New York on QM2

June 30-July 6, 2021 = 6 nights in New York

July 6-July 15, 2021 = 9 night eastbound crossing New York to Hamburg on QM2.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

Sounds good but I guess a world cruise for two would be cheaper than this option.

If I would choose the transatlantic cruise I guess I would think about some extra days in New York with Cunard and fly home. I hate this but it would be a dream.

On the other hand it is true that a cruise with some days at land and on sea would be great again too.

The Norwegian fjords are the only voyage we've done 3 times - QE, QV and Celebrity, that's how good it is.  We've done 7 days, 12 days including some of Sweden & Denmark and 14 days going all the way up to North Cape.    We've only done New York once, as a 23 day out and return on QV also going up the coast to new England and Canada before sailing back.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Norway again but t.b.h. even though we went into the Manhattan terminal not the usual  Red Hook and we got an overnight there, I'd much prefer to see NYC again by plane, not cruise. 

I know the voyage is supposed to be part of the experience but I honestly can't see the point of spending a week on the Atlantic with only the prospect of storm force winds to liven things up.

Why not fly HAM - NYC by airplane.  That way you can have a daytime flight and arrive late afternoon in New York. Plan your days for the area and then sail home on the QM2 into Hamburg.  The day flight isn't as awful as the overnight flight, ich kenne diese Strecke und hasse die Ankunft in Europa.😴

On 2/14/2020 at 4:30 AM, Underwatr said:

Yes, in late June/early July.

2020:

Westbound June 21-29, in New York June 29 - July 6, eastbound July 6-13.

2021:

Westbound June 23-30, in New York June 30 - July 6, eastbound July 6-13.

There are other opportunities but the period around American Independence Day is about the shortest turnaround if you don't want to head back the day you arrive.

Underwater's schedule for 2021 is excellent!  You'd have a week in New York, which is probably not long enough, at least IMHO.  I never get tired of New York, so much to do.  And you get the QM2 in both directions!  Heaven!  Make I should look into this?

22 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Just curious, since to do the itinerary mentioned you'd fly to the UK, cross to New York, vacation in New York, cross back to Southampton, then fly back to Oakland?

Curiosity warranted.  Probably not a good idea for us since we are averse to long flights.  But a little fantasy for a hot minute.

• Like 1