Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
PammyMouse

Pearl Penthouse Suite (not Haven) Boarding in NYC

I booked an Aft Penthouse (category SF) on Pearl for Canada & NE and was curious about boarding in NYC. 

Do we check in in the same area as the Haven? That is what I understand, but I want to be sure. I have seen

reviews where this was not the case.

Thanks!

In the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (assuming that's where you will be sailing from), there's a separate check-in for all Haven and non-Haven suite guests.   If one of the folks at the entrance to all the check in lines doesn't understand that or tries to steer you elsewhere, they are incorrect; make sure they understand you are in a suite.  After you check in, there's a waiting lounge for all the Haven and non-Haven suite guests.

The personnel at the pier seem to have a hard time understanding the non-haven suites.  Just go to the Haven check-in line and tell them you're in the Haven, they'll look up your suite number and let you through.  Generally it's to the right as you walk into the terminal.  Enjoy!

12 hours ago, PammyMouse said:

I booked an Aft Penthouse (category SF) on Pearl for Canada & NE and was curious about boarding in NYC. 

Do we check in in the same area as the Haven? That is what I understand, but I want to be sure. I have seen

reviews where this was not the case.

Thanks!

I have a forward penthouse on your same sailing 6/6 :-)! I sailed the Jewel a few years ago in a penthouse (non-haven) and yes, we embarked with Haven guests. Concierge met us, we sat in a separate area with canapés and beverages. It was pretty seamless, but it was also out of LA. This will be our first time traveling out of NYC. I really enjoyed the forward penthouse the last time. My youngest was 17 at the time and loved having the butler... he will be 20 this time, too old for teen clubs, too young to drink on the ship... and then there is Canada! HAHA We did an Alaska cruise when my oldest turned 19, and I bought him his first Scotch in Victoria, BC. 

I really wanted to go Haven, but once I factored in 3 days stay in Manhattan, I blew that budget. Never stayed in Haven... one day! You will get invited to the Haven Captain's Cocktail party... which is a more intimate meet and greet and drinks are free flowing.

It will be me and my other half, and my son... Looking forward to it! IF you have never had a suite, you will love the suite life!!

The only difference in The Haven Category vs the Suite category on Jewel Class is the Haven Courtyard. Other than not having access to the courtyard, all the perks are the same. Personally (coming from a Haven lover) I prefer the suite category on Jewel Class vs Haven has you get the biggest bang for your buck. 

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (assuming that's where you will be sailing from), there's a separate check-in for all Haven and non-Haven suite guests.   If one of the folks at the entrance to all the check in lines doesn't understand that or tries to steer you elsewhere, they are incorrect; make sure they understand you are in a suite.  After you check in, there's a waiting lounge for all the Haven and non-Haven suite guests.

Correct, as you walk in from the street the little entrance to the Haven / Suites will be in front of you, or to the right of the main security line. They should have a sign on a stand that says something like Haven / Suite check in. Just say you are in the Haven and someone should steer you in the right direction. As of June of last year the Haven / Suite check in was about half way down on the right side of the terminal

Edited by Laszlo

This is good information.  Next April we are sailing on the Gem out of NY and we will also be in an aft PH.  Thank you all.

Thanks all!  This is really good information.  Like DLepard, It was a cost/perks/itinerary balance for us too, three people (DH, DD, and I) port-intensive cruise, visiting friends in the NYC area (hotels), etc.  I'm especially excited for the aft balcony and hope the weather is okay.

We have sailed out of NYC twice on the Haven SJ and SF. Yes you will be directed to the Haven boarding area. Refreshments will be available.