Virus

Ginnan2020

Which virus? People get the flu everyday. Did you get your flu shot this year? That you have control of.

Corovirus. You don’t have any control of.
People can die crossing the street. Wouldn’t stop me from cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Omax4 is correct, but a life well-lived consists of making a well-informed decisions, taking into account one's own personal risk assessment vs. the perceived benefits gained. So, some people are afraid to fly, but have no problem getting in a car, even though it is indisputable that the risk of dying in a plane crash is infinitesimal compared to dying in a automotive accident. The key is to have confirmed, accurate, and factual information on which to base one's decisions. So, right now, the Coronavirus risk from cruising is low, but that could change. We all need to closely monitor the news and the rapidly changing situation.

• Like 3

I’m not overly concerned of getting it. I’m overly concerned how it will affect my life. Being stuck on a cruise ship for three weeks without pay?  What if my husband (Or I) got off but I/He was stuck there?

I view it like this.... 

Let's say my favorite pizza place is in a rough neighborhood. I love eating there. 

Now let's say I get a hankering for pizza on a Friday night and the news it talking about a rash of crime in that neighborhood tonight.

Do I say "I have no control over if someone shoots me" and go anyway? Or do I say "You know what, I LOVE Pizza, but my own personal risk assessment tells me that I'll just wait until Sunday afternoon and get a slice then". 

I personally am not willing to enter an environment with a high risk of transmission of a virus that's 3x more contagious and 20x more deadly than the standard flu. We have seen exactly what happens when someone who's infected is on a cruise ship. The cruise industry isn't going anywhere. Our favorite ships will be there this summer/fall/winter when this dies down.

Others may not be as well educated on the virulence of this particular strain, or their own personal risk/reward assessment might be calibrated differently. Everyone gets to make their own decision. There are certainly some great deals to be had for those willing to risk it. 

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 5

It's not the risk of catching CV which is the main concern, it's the risk one of the passengers on board a 3,000 to 6,000 capacity cruise liner is diagnose with CV, then all the passengers are quarantined meaning you spend weeks stuck on board worrying about whether you are going to catch it yourself. Not sure that sounds like an enjoyable holiday to me, alternatively go on holiday to an hotel etc and there's probably zero chance of getting quarantined if a guest does go down with CV. 

• Like 4

On 2/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Omax4 said:

Which virus? People get the flu everyday. Did you get your flu shot this year? That you have control of.

Corovirus. You don’t have any control of.
People can die crossing the street. Wouldn’t stop me from cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0max4,

You are serious?  Yes?  This is NOTHING like the flu.  You don't quarantine 600 million people (and lock them in their homes) for JUST the flu!  If you are over age 60 you are putting yourself in harms way traveling on a cruise ship (it has an outsized effect on older passengers regardless of your health).  Did you notice how FAST this thing spread on the diamond princess?  How fast it spread from one person in Korea?  How fast it is spreading in Northern Italy?  One super spreader will cause half of a cruise ship to be infected within a week.

You sound like my mother.  I"ve got to die of something.  I'd just as soon die of crossing the street.

Instead My mother used to say "die of cigarettes."  She died a very painful death of lung cancer.... I think for your own good you need to take this virus a little more seriously.

Edited by T Tail
new paragraph spacing
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, T Tail said:

0max4,

You are serious?  Yes?  This is NOTHING like the flu.  You don't quarantine 600 million people (and lock them in their homes) for JUST the flu!  If you are over age 60 you are putting yourself in harms way traveling on a cruise ship (it has an outsized effect on older passengers regardless of your health).  Did you notice how FAST this thing spread on the diamond princess?  How fast it spread from one person in Korea?  How fast it is spreading in Northern Italy?  One super spreader will cause half of a cruise ship to be infected within a week.

You sound like my mother.  I"ve got to die of something.  I'd just as soon die of crossing the street.

Instead My mother used to say "die of cigarettes."  She died a very painful death of lung cancer.... I think for your own good you need to take this virus a little more seriously.

Actually yes I am very serious. You are not putting yourself in harms way traveling on a cruise ship that is not traveling anywhere near China, Japan, Hong Kong, or a few other places in Asia. Why wouldn’t you travel on a cruise ship to places like Europe or the Caribbean? I’m going on a Caribbean cruise on Wednesday and I’m not worried all. 

And actually this virus is exactly like the flu. Expect that there isn’t a vaccine for it.

The mortality rate is higher at 2 percent compared to around 0.05 percent for standard flu which is indeed worrisome. That’s the biggest difference. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Omax4 said:

Actually yes I am very serious. You are not putting yourself in harms way traveling on a cruise ship that is not traveling anywhere near China, Japan, Hong Kong, or a few other places in Asia. Why wouldn’t you travel on a cruise ship to places like Europe or the Caribbean? I’m going on a Caribbean cruise on Wednesday and I’m not worried all. 

And actually this virus is exactly like the flu. Expect that there isn’t a vaccine for it.

The mortality rate is higher at 2 percent compared to around 0.05 percent for standard flu which is indeed worrisome. That’s the biggest difference. And even 2 percent isn’t high for a pandemic. Of course I feel sorry for the 2 percent that die. It’s horrible. But it’s nothing compared to SARS, or the Black Death in the Middle Ages, or Smallpox. It could be so much worse.

Edited by Omax4

3 hours ago, Omax4 said:

The mortality rate is higher at 2 percent compared to around 0.05 percent for standard flu which is indeed worrisome. That’s the biggest difference. 

I could spend a day refuting everything you  said.  I won't .  I will simply say WE STILL KNOW VIRTUALLY NOTHING about this virus, because all we've gotten so far is a giant pack of lies.  Don't believe what is said.  Believe what is done.  600 million  under house arrest.  Total destruction of the Communist Chinese economy with virtually all factories shut down.  THEY Will NEVER recover from this...manufacturing will by necessity move permanently from SINGLE sourced China to many other countries, to get alternatives to supply chains. And you think they would do this to themselves  for an equal of the flu????? And if you believe what has come out of Communist China so far, you are grossly mistaken.  The Hydrogen Sulfide levels in Wuhan are the equivalent of what happens when you burn 50,000 dead bodies (not 2000).  97% of all antibiotics in the US are sourced from shut down factories in China.  Don't get sick.  Nuf said.

There are hundreds of people sick with the virus in Iran, Israel, Italy who are nowhere near Asia.  Carnival in Italy along with all public gatherings are cancelled.

I hope you enjoy your cruise,

T Tail

Edited by T Tail
  • Like 3

We'll be on the Norwegian Joy on 3/28.  I'm not too concerned about the Corona Virus itself as there're not that many cases in the US and no widespread outbreak yet.  Also NCL is not allowing people who has Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passports to board.

I'm Asian.  The main thing I'm concerned about is that people would pick on us simply because we're Asian and it's gonna make the trip less enjoyable. It's sad that we're already seeing some very minor discrimination. 😞

Edited by mrneva
  • Like 5

Mr Neva,

I am sorry about the encounter with discrimination. It's truly a horrible experience to be discriminated against for any reason. We Americans can be so ignorant of others in the world because some of us live in a bubble.  Unlike many cultures, the majority of Americans never leave the country and we have no idea how others live, what their values are, or even how they look.  We don't even have mandatory learning of  foreign languages in school anymore. Frankly we don't even care.  I guess that's what happens when you are separated from the rest of the world by two oceans.

It's not my place to fear monger anyone into making a decision.  Each decision is up to the individual.  What I would recommend is that everyone make an INFORMED decision and not succumb to cognitive dissonance.  Cognitive dissonance is when you get new information that contradicts old information....  and one tries to rationalize and find a way to resolve the contradiction, not to find the optimum solution, but to side with what reduces their discomfort the most.  Making your decision to go now is a prime example of this.

I would suggest that you don't have enough information to make a decision yet.  Most of the pertinent information that we could use to make an intelligent decision is being kept hidden from the masses (including in the US...did any know that there are 9000 in 'voluntary' quarantine, in California now).  Seems like politicians worldwide are putting economics, and keeping economies running, ahead of telling folks the truth and keeping people alive.

Korea went from 30 cases of the virus to 600 cases in JUST 4 DAYS.  Things can change in a heartbeat.  It can spread like wildfire...just look at the diamond princess sickness count...and they were Quarantined!!!!  May I suggest you keep an open mind and see where this thing takes us, and if it takes a turn for the worse you maybe consider changing your position.

One of the real differences with this virus is that with the efficacy of superspreaders it only takes one person to pass it along to hundreds in a few days.  And as we all know cruise ships are wonderful incubators for germs!

Regards,

T Tail

Edited by T Tail
  • Like 3

We are going on a 48 day cruise on March 15/20 on the Koningsdam.  I have mixed concerns about the coronavirus and how it will affect me, my husband, the ship and the cruise ports.  I have been on many cruises where I have spent a week in bed because of the flu I caught from someone on the airplane or on the ship.  Also on 1 cruise in Japan/China everyone got sick with Noro including the captain.  We renamed the ship from the Volendam to the Vomitdam. 

It is only 2.5 weeks away and we have the best cancellation insurance, we could cancel but we probably won't unless, the south american ports won't let ships dock at all.   If I wasn't booked, I would probably not book.  I think that the coronavirus will get a lot worse in the next few months.

So safe and healthy travels to all of you/us that are continuing to cruise through this uncertain time.  

• Thanks 1

I am definitely  cancelling plans for cruising in 2020 and possibly 2021.  The Corona virus is spreading like wildfire worldwide.  I do not want to play Russian roulette with my life.  Just my luck I would be one who gets infected with the virus.  I do not want to die from contracting the virus on a cruise.  There is more to life than taking a cruise, especially now.
There are other types of travel I can take posing less risk.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 1:57 PM, Omax4 said:

I was thinking the same thing until watching the news last night in NYC, where people are flying into New York airports from effected areas with ZERO screening. NYC and Newark NJ (both of which have enormous cruise terminals) have the highest concentration of Asian residents in the US. Yes, a person boarding has to show their passport (which I believe China stamps), but who is to say a friend or family member of the passenger hadn't recently come from China, was a carrier, and infected the passenger before boarding. I really wasn't concerned until I watched the report. Not really out of fear for the virus itself, but of being stuck in a stateroom quarantined for two weeks. Have some decisions to make.......

Hi...not only quarantined on a ship for 14 days on the Diamond Princess...my friend also was and still is quarantined at Travis Air Base...upon entering the United States...for another 14 days.  She is still healthy....thankfully....but others have become sick while at the Base.

I am booked on a cruise this April that disembarks in Venice...so am keeping a very close watch on that as I am very tempted to cancel....am so glad (now) I spent lots of $$$ on travel insurance.

Has anyone cancelled your cruise yet?

Although not going to any of the "hot spots", I am not thinking of cancelling my Panama transit in May.....I already have

Personal risk assessment, plus 70+.  Just feel I would be worrying all the time rather than enjoying it.  I do expect to cruise again but not until this virus recedes....or I can get a vaccination against it

• Like 4

On 2/23/2020 at 12:57 PM, Omax4 said:

Omax- Our virological experts do not yet know the specifics of Covid19, so for you to say it is "exactly like the flu" is ill-informed and irresponsible.  You are certainly free to express your opinion, but it shouldn't be implied as factual when you do not have all of the facts.

As for cruising right now, I personally think that to be a very risky move.  The primary threat is, of course, that someone onboard will be; either infected and not yet showing symptoms, or a carrier that will not develop any symptoms, but can still spread the virus, infecting many other passengers.  However, there are very serious secondary concerns; one being that the ship could be denied portage and another being the real possibility of quarantine if it is allowed to dock.  The third very real possibility is widespread panic resulting in countries closing their borders to outsiders giving ships nowhere to disembark passengers.

We know the MSC Meraviglia which left Miami on Sunday was 'denied portage in Jamaica and the Caymans because a crew member had 'flu-like' symptoms, even though no one onboard has tested positive for Covid19.  The ship is docking in Mexico today and passengers being sent home, even though their cruise was to have been 15 nights' (USAToday).

Everyone has to make their own decisions with regards to how much risk they are willing to take under the circumstances, but as for me, no way am I putting myself in a situation where I have zero control over my own fate and that of my family!

• Like 2

I just canceled our Alaska cruise for this summer.  My husband and I are young (well, fifties) and healthy and I am not worried about catching the coronavirus.  I am not even all that worried about being quarantined on a ship - I figure the odds are pretty low.  But I do not want to pay for an expensive cruise and then be denied entry into any ports because someone else on the ship gets a fever.  It would be awful to sit on the ship, looking at the port, while someone with a fever gets tested and we all wait for the results.  Even if the person doesn't have coronavirus, I would have just missed one of my four scheduled ports.  And Alaska is just too expensive to miss a port.  It's one thing to miss Cozumel on a Caribbean cruise (who cares, right?), and I was bummed out a few years ago when we missed Bar Harbor on a New England cruise due to high winds, but I'm not missing a single minute or a single port if I'm paying big bucks for an Alaska cruise.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

SoonerDog

Yes, like flu....a tiger is like a cat. If you look at the numbers A) It is spreading FAST worldwide and 2) the alleged mortality rate of around 2% is grossly understated. The incubation period is 7 to20 days. Comparing today's deaths with today's total cases is a nonsense. Today's deaths relate to infections at least a week ago when there were far fewer cases. The true death rate is closer to 10% althought this may be lowered by the number of unreported cases.

LAVCruiser...Quite understand, just like to say Alaska is a wonderful trip. Did a week out of Vancouver it is amazing. I love scenic places, been to Norway three times but Alaska is something else....do book again when this is over.

3 hours ago, SoonerDog said:

Omax- Our virological experts do not yet know the specifics of Covid19, so for you to say it is "exactly like the flu" is ill-informed and irresponsible.  You are certainly free to express your opinion, but it shouldn't be implied as factual when you do not have all of the facts.

As for cruising right now, I personally think that to be a very risky move.  The primary threat is, of course, that someone onboard will be; either infected and not yet showing symptoms, or a carrier that will not develop any symptoms, but can still spread the virus, infecting many other passengers.  However, there are very serious secondary concerns; one being that the ship could be denied portage and another being the real possibility of quarantine if it is allowed to dock.  The third very real possibility is widespread panic resulting in countries closing their borders to outsiders giving ships nowhere to disembark passengers.

We know the MSC Meraviglia which left Miami on Sunday was 'denied portage in Jamaica and the Caymans because a crew member had 'flu-like' symptoms, even though no one onboard has tested positive for Covid19.  The ship is docking in Mexico today and passengers being sent home, even though their cruise was to have been 15 nights' (USAToday).

Everyone has to make their own decisions with regards to how much risk they are willing to take under the circumstances, but as for me, no way am I putting myself in a situation where I have zero control over my own fate and that of my family!

I thought that was the point. This entire post was started with someone asking if we should travel. They didn’t specify which virus. I assumed coronavirus. And obviously I am giving my opinion. If the poster wanted sound medical advice he wouldn’t have asked it in this forum. 
I gave my advice and my opinion which is what this forum is for.

I personally don’t believe cruising is risky at all. I am currently on a cruise on Royal Caribbean. I have a cruise booked for Europe in July. That cruise is for Europe and right now I would say it is very iffy if I am going to go based on the virus sweeping thru Italy. My final payment is due in April and then I’ll have a decision to make. Cursing in the Caribbean I do not believe is risky. The MSC case you mentioned is unfortunate but as you said no one tested positive for coronavirus but regular flu. That’s what regular travel insurance is for which I always have. 

And of course if you feel that you shouldn’t cruise right now, then you shouldn’t. You should do what you are comfortable with. 

Google searched, "how many people die from the flu every year worldwide " 291,000 to 646,000!  Here in SC 93 people have died with the common flu already for 2020. Just saying....

Seems a lot of panic about the Covid19.

I just see that the cruiselines in the next few months will likely start canceling ports of calls if there is known cases in or near those ports. Wife and I have a Greek Cruise in September 2020, we still plan on going. We just hope it settles down. We are not changing our travel plans, but it is likely public pressure will have cruiselines and airlines canceling flights and ports anyway and will make that decisions for everone. We cruisers also stand the risk of being quarantine onboard if someone has a high temp which might be nothing but common flu. Anyway sure are challenging times right now.

My husband and I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and we are both sick with the flu.  I belong to a Facebook chat about the cruise and I"ve learned that over 100 people from our ship are also suffering from the virus.  We are both in our mid 60's, we practice very good habits of hand washing, using wipes, not touching railings etc, but here we are sick as dogs for 6 days now, along with many others.

So no, I don't want to cruise for awhile, go on an airplane or stand in crowded lines anywhere right now.  This normal flu is horrible, I can't imagine dealing with anything else right now.  Life is too short and being this sick for a week is not much fun.