Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Elizabethbea

Refunds for cancelled cruises

Recommended Posts

 Apparently UK Crystal have been forced to give refunds for not provided cruises. Crystal's assertion that a cruise to japan was the same as a cruise to myamar didn't cut it with the courts who ruled this was a cancellation by the Cruise Company and thus they were obliged to refund--not insist on a Future Cruise Credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been quite a lot of discussion about the way Crystal is handling cancelled or heavily modified cruises on the Crystal forum. 

 

Even on cruises Crystal have cancelled they are not refunding the fare, only givng an FCC, unless forced to. One person reported that his TA spent hours trying to get his fare refunded and finally succeeded. 

 

This is not what you expect from a luxury cruise line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW the Crystal T&Cs for Australia/NZ clearlt state:

"Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket. If a voyage is cancelled due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest will be entitled to a full refund of the Cruise Fare, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.  If a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Ship’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Guest’s home city, at the discretion and expense of Crystal Cruises, as well as lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at the expense of Crystal Cruises. "

 

FCCs are not refunds IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Crystal are maintaining that changing a cruise to tranquil Japan and substituting a cruise to Pucket is not a cancellation, but "a change in itinerary".  

 

 Thus if the punter doesn't want to go to Pucket and sais so, Crystal accuse HIM  of cancelling, and then they don't have to refund. 

 

 Nice try Crystal--that is utter rubbish. 

 

If I buy a dress online and the supplier says it cannot provide the dress but will supply a  skirt--and  maintains itt's the same, that is utter rubbish--what happens is that the supplier refunds immediately. Without any fraud.

 

 Our consumer law is quite clear on this. 

 

 Do not be rolled into accepting a FCC, firstly TA's get less commission therefore you get less discount, secondly , Crystal cruises are booked often years in advance--so one would want to use the FCC in maybe 18 months time--but no--Crystal have said use in 12 months or it is forfeited.

 

 You are not obliged to accept what is in effect a time limited credit note--your consumer rights are simply to request a refund.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually one or two port changes are considered acceptable, and sometimes unavoidable but, i agree, a complete change should be considered as a cancellation of the original cruise. However there have been incidences in the past where that has happened, the most notable being Carnival going to Tasmania instead of the South Pacific to avoid a cyclone. They didn't give passengers a choice to cancel either. In fact most people didn't know about the change until after they boarded. I believe the class action on that one settled out of court.

 

The situation in Asia has been changing so rapidly that cruise lines are having a hard job keeping up with port closures. However Crystal isn't handling the whole situation very well at all compared with other cruise lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Certainly a Captain's decision for the safety of his passengers and crew done in the face of imminent danger is a completely different matter.

 

 Here we have Crystal cancelling (because that is what it is )6 weeks prior to the cruise. Then to say if you don't want to purchase the different product then YOU have cancelled is downright ingenious.

 

 Also, when Crystal first changed its embarcation Port from Hong Kong to Taiwan, it informed all passengers in writing that it would pay for the extra money involved in changing flights from HK to Taiwan. 

 

You won't believe it --Crystal has now renaged on their agreement and are refusing to refund. Some people have paid  $thousands to change flights at such short notice--they did so relying on Crystal's written assurance to reimburse.

 

 Crystal even asked for bank details so as to effect the direct credit--and now are refusing.

 

 Incredible. 

 

 Not what we expect from a luxury cruise line. Nor the treatment of loyal year after year customers.

 

 Just sue-you will win 100%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

 Just sue-you will win 100%. 

Are you a lawyer by any chance?

 

If necessary I'd prefer to ask my wonderful TA to go to bat for me before even considering a law suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course. I 100% agree with you. I also have a brilliant TA. He is the first option. However if after weeks of fighting they still don’t do what is right one can always sue. 
Actually very  easy and wow does it bring them to the negotiating table. 
 

My T A has got refunds for 4 of his clients already. 
 

it’s a shame one has to fight for what is legally and morally right. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify I certainly am not advocating putting money in lawyers pockets! 
 

one can issue proceedings on line , it’s easy and effective. No lawyer necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise lines can state what they want in their "Terms and Conditions" but they are still subject to Federal fair trading legislation.

 

If they can't come up substantially with what the Punter paid for, they must give him/her a full refund of the fare paid.

 

You don't pay for a pineapple to receive a lemon.*

 

 

*Obilix and Astirix, Attorneys at Law.

We have the gaul to sue anybody.

Edited by Obilix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal have finally announced that passengers can choose a full refund instead of an FCC. 

 

Unfortunately their early stance has probably damaged the brand to some degree. What effect it will have long term remains to be seen. We will certainly think twice before booking any further Crystal cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regrettably Cruystal are only giving refunds to the very short "Getaway " sailings. The  remainder of cancelled cruises for up to 14 days (thus very expensive-)-are not getting refunds. 

 

 How they can do this is beyond comprehension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 So, they are refunding on the cheap cruises, but not the longer ones sailing at the same time--and infact some of the short cruises were PART of the cruises that they now refuse to refund.

 

I bought a cruise to Japan, why would they insist that a cruise to KL is the same/just a minor change in itinerary???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elizabethbea said:

Regrettably Cruystal are only giving refunds to the very short "Getaway " sailings. The  remainder of cancelled cruises for up to 14 days (thus very expensive-)-are not getting refunds. 

 

 How they can do this is beyond comprehension.

Only the short cruises? That's crazy. The short cruises are probably the easiest to rebook, unless they book out very quickly. With longer cruises it would be much more difficult to find a replacement cruise in the required timeframe that is a similar price to the original cruise.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crystal Cruises, with offices in USA, UK, Australia and maybe elsewhere  ( Owned by Genting) is ripping off his clients. 
 
  Clients booked and paid for a cruise to Japan, most of us paid 9 months before the cruise departure . Mine is 16 march 2020. 
 
 The Company first changed the embarkation and demarkation  ports and asked us to change our airfares to accomodate this . They said they would pay for the change cost.
 
Being reasonable, I did this and changed my flights , even though it meant no longer a non stop flight. 
 
So far  so good. 
 
 Now they are REFUSING to pay for the change in flight. 
 
PLUS: they have CANCELLED the cruise. 
 
And-refuse to refund. 
 
Even their own Ts and Cs state : “ 100% refund in the event of cancellation. "
 
 They simply refuse. 
 
I am currently $12,000 down. Their attitude is :Sue us . 
 
 I am a retiree, was going on this Cherry Blossom cruise to Japan , taking my adult son. 
 
 I have even , in an attempt to meet them half way, offered to accept a FCC ( future cruise credit ) as long as it has a 2 year expiry date. 
 
Crystal cruises are often purchased years in advance so this is necessary so as to be able to use it .
 
 They refuse. 
 
 I am not the only one. Crystal UK has been forced to offer refunds. They are treating us Aussies with utter contempt.
 
Their behaviour is totally odds with Australian Consumer Law—they are now maintaining that it is the CLIENT who has cancelled.And as such—no refund.
 
 I haven’t cancelled anything—I bought a cruise to Japan and where is it ?  I have it in writing from them that they have cancelled the cruise. But will not be refunding. 
 
Do they take us for complete idiots? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Elizabethbea said:
Crystal Cruises, with offices in USA, UK, Australia and maybe elsewhere  ( Owned by Genting) is ripping off his clients. 
 
  Clients booked and paid for a cruise to Japan, most of us paid 9 months before the cruise departure . Mine is 16 march 2020. 
 
 The Company first changed the embarkation and demarkation  ports and asked us to change our airfares to accomodate this . They said they would pay for the change cost.
 
Being reasonable, I did this and changed my flights , even though it meant no longer a non stop flight. 
 
So far  so good. 
 
 Now they are REFUSING to pay for the change in flight. 
 
PLUS: they have CANCELLED the cruise. 
 
And-refuse to refund. 
 
Even their own Ts and Cs state : “ 100% refund in the event of cancellation. "
 
 They simply refuse. 
 
I am currently $12,000 down. Their attitude is :Sue us . 
 
 I am a retiree, was going on this Cherry Blossom cruise to Japan , taking my adult son. 
 
 I have even , in an attempt to meet them half way, offered to accept a FCC ( future cruise credit ) as long as it has a 2 year expiry date. 
 
Crystal cruises are often purchased years in advance so this is necessary so as to be able to use it .
 
 They refuse. 
 
 I am not the only one. Crystal UK has been forced to offer refunds. They are treating us Aussies with utter contempt.
 
Their behaviour is totally odds with Australian Consumer Law—they are now maintaining that it is the CLIENT who has cancelled.And as such—no refund.
 
 I haven’t cancelled anything—I bought a cruise to Japan and where is it ?  I have it in writing from them that they have cancelled the cruise. But will not be refunding. 
 
Do they take us for complete idiots? 

Was payment by credit card? Can a dispute be lodged for non delivery of product/goods/service? There are some legal minds on this board who could give an indication perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Was payment by credit card? Can a dispute be lodged for non delivery of product/goods/service? There are some legal minds on this board who could give an indication perhaps.

Explore this option if you paid by credit card. We had a Visa card payment of $7,000 reversed because the service was not as described. ANZ Bank was very helpful. BTW, this was nothing to do with a cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yes you are right. One can commence a Disputed  transction matter.

 

 Sad that the bank has to pick up the tab for a cruise company  though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elizabethbea said:

 Yes you are right. One can commence a Disputed  transction matter.

 

 Sad that the bank has to pick up the tab for a cruise company  though.

I don't think the bank does pick up the tab. I believe they reverse the payment to the company. When you dispute it, the other party has to prove they supplied the goods/services. All the best. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents have been on many cruises worldwide.  Always with Princess.  Once on a month-long trip around the world.  They've even taken me with them several times.  They were booked on this 21 night Sapphire Princess Southeast Asia cruise out of Singapore.  Literally one day prior to departing from Oregon, they decided to see their doctor due to their fear over the exploding cases of covid-19 in the region they were about to explore.  Their doctor told them that considering their age and my father's compromised immune system, they better cancel their trip.  He provided a letter memorializing his advice.  They cancelled their trip and submitted the doctor's letter with their request for a refund.  They received a denial of their claim from Princess Cruises' underwriter AON stating that since they weren't sick or dead and didn't have a severe illness or death of a family member, they didn't qualify for a refund.  Then, as Princess clearly recognized the danger of possible covid-19 transmission in Asia/Singapore/Thailand/Vietnam and their Diamond Princess ship quarantined in Japan with 218 cases of coronavirus infected passengers on board, they cancelled the second half of their voyage with a one-day notice.  My parents were so glad that they didn't have to go through the inconvenience a mid-trip termination of their cruise would've entailed.  So far, their claim for reimbursement is still denied and only their shore excursions have been refunded.  I can't imagine how such business practices benefits Princess' reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly we are a number bringing $. 

 

 Keep on with your claim. 

 

Other avenues are : Travel Insurance. Plus if you paid by credit card, go to them and dispute the transaction.

 

These Cruise Compnaies will just refuse any refund until forced by law to do the right thing. 

 

I dont know where you are --but in Australia it takes about 15 minutes to fill in an online form and issue proceedings.

 

 Crystal UK have apparently been forced to refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ANagy said:

My parents have been on many cruises worldwide.  Always with Princess.  Once on a month-long trip around the world.  They've even taken me with them several times.  They were booked on this 21 night Sapphire Princess Southeast Asia cruise out of Singapore.  Literally one day prior to departing from Oregon, they decided to see their doctor due to their fear over the exploding cases of covid-19 in the region they were about to explore.  Their doctor told them that considering their age and my father's compromised immune system, they better cancel their trip.  He provided a letter memorializing his advice.  They cancelled their trip and submitted the doctor's letter with their request for a refund.  They received a denial of their claim from Princess Cruises' underwriter AON stating that since they weren't sick or dead and didn't have a severe illness or death of a family member, they didn't qualify for a refund.  Then, as Princess clearly recognized the danger of possible covid-19 transmission in Asia/Singapore/Thailand/Vietnam and their Diamond Princess ship quarantined in Japan with 218 cases of coronavirus infected passengers on board, they cancelled the second half of their voyage with a one-day notice.  My parents were so glad that they didn't have to go through the inconvenience a mid-trip termination of their cruise would've entailed.  So far, their claim for reimbursement is still denied and only their shore excursions have been refunded.  I can't imagine how such business practices benefits Princess' reputation.

I think your parents will have a lot of trouble trying to get a refund unless Princess make an ex gratia payment. Your parents cancelled the cruise. If their doctor had given them a certificate saying they were not well enough to travel they could have got a refund on medical grounds, but a certificate saying that they might get sick, apparently doesn't cut it.

 

BTW, your parents' month-long trip could not have been 'around the world'. That cruise is 104 -106 nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am  so sorry  for you. However --previous post is correct--if the punter cancels he is subject to the cruise line's cancellation conditions.  Maybe try for a FCC? As previous poster says it would be ex gratia.

 

 It is different if the Cruise line cancels --as Crystal has done with many cruise in March--

 

 Crystal is  attempting to say that  althought  they have pulled the plug on the Japanese Cruise--that one to Kuwala Lumper is the same?? !! So, they are saying, if you do not wish to purchase that one--They deme you to have cancelled the one they sold but were unable to provide!!

 

It is nothing short of ridiculous--but many people are many thousands of dollars out of pocket so it is  serious to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elizabethbea said:

 I am  so sorry  for you. However --previous post is correct--if the punter cancels he is subject to the cruise line's cancellation conditions.  Maybe try for a FCC? As previous poster says it would be ex gratia.

 

 It is different if the Cruise line cancels --as Crystal has done with many cruise in March--

 

 Crystal is  attempting to say that  althought  they have pulled the plug on the Japanese Cruise--that one to Kuwala Lumper is the same?? !! So, they are saying, if you do not wish to purchase that one--They deme you to have cancelled the one they sold but were unable to provide!!

 

It is nothing short of ridiculous--but many people are many thousands of dollars out of pocket so it is  serious to them.

I agree with you. A cruise to Kuala Lumpur doesn't compare with a cruise to Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...