Price drop before final payment

comcox

We seem to have a consensus that booking at launch currently means nabbing the lowest price - which begs the question “When with the next tranche if cruises be launched?”, so we can all get set with our planners, highlighters and bank statements 🙂

43 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

We seem to have a consensus that booking at launch currently means nabbing the lowest price - which begs the question “When with the next tranche if cruises be launched?”, so we can all get set with our planners, highlighters and bank statements 🙂

I think it will be September, when cruises for the summer season of 2022 will be launched.

• Like 1

Also, my cheap one in October is pretty well full.  I tried a dummy booking just for fun and for an inside there was a choice of 2 cabins and for some of the others, there were no cabins available, even though the price is there.  For my next cruise this April, the Saver fare is now only just £40 more than I paid for Select and I fully expect this to go down a bit, but by the time you add on OBC, I'm still quids in.

Nope!  My 2 cruises on Aurora for 2021 were also very good prices.  My 19 nights in October 2021 is £1286 pp 🙂  and April 2021 is £1331.  I don't actually care if they come down, it's a very good price.  The October one has a current price of £2199!!

have to say I don't actually understand why it is so cheap on launch, not that I'm complaining.  Maybe it's so that later it shows that it's popular.

Edited by jeanlyon

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Wow that is excelllent price. 

Aah, but times are changing... When everyone booked on Arcadia cancels to book on Iona as it is so cheap as they will need to fill it, or the latest pandemic panics all the others into not travelling, I will get this for about 50 quid... 😂😂😂

And yes, before someone asks, of course I am joking. 

Andy 

• Haha 1

😜, but Andy, I wouldn't think that the passenger's that prefer Arcadia and Aurora  (small and adults only) would want to try Iona. I certainly don't. So maybe you won't get your 50 quid cabin after all.😆😆

Edited by Adawn47
Added text
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2020 at 7:06 PM, jeanlyon said:

It's an interesting concept.   I have a cruise booked for October this year on Arcadia.  At present the price is £1100 pp  more than I paid.  Ours was £1349 pp, it is now £2499 pp.  So should someone booking now ask if they can have the price we paid on launch?

Er, no I don’t think so....but what is the situation if you look to pay for an upgrade from a fully obstructed seaview stateroom ( ie inside) to a suite?

Edited by Ranchi

33 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

Er, no I don’t think so....but what is the situation if you look to pay for an upgrade from a fully obstructed seaview stateroom ( ie inside) to a suite?

My understanding is that the price for the upgraded cabin will be the same as what it was when you made your original booking.

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My understanding is that the price for the upgraded cabin will be the same as what it was when you made your original booking.

I think things may have changed Wowzz.

We just upgraded our April Britannia cruise for £70 each.

That was a low grade inside to an unobstructed balcony for 7 days. 

If it had been that cheap on booking, we would definitely have booked it. 

Andy 

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Andy can I ask how long the cruise is and where you are going.  That''s an amazing price for an upgrade.  My cruise is looking very full and is 19 nights, so don't think I would be so lucky.

Only 7 nights Jean to Rotterdam etc. 

It was always a cheap cruise, that's why we booked it, but now we have paid £450 each for unobstructed balcony. 

Very pleased. 

Andy 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

You are quite correct. That has been the policy for years and I am not aware that P&O has changed it. However, with all the cancellations at the moment following Cornovirus concerns about potential quarantine scenarios or missed ports, normal rules may not apply. 

We always book at launch, partly because the Select prices haven’t been beaten between release and departure for some years now, but also because we need an accessible cabin. Our experience is quite different from those above. Our 21 night cruise on Aurora this year is significantly more expensive per night than last years 19 night cruise on Aurora. Both booked at launch and for the same cabin. The difference? The 2019 cruise was booked whilst Aurora was still a family ship and the service charge was still in existence. Neither the adult only conversion or tips included policy were on the cards. Some months before the 2019 cruise departed (when adult only and tips included were announced), the fare had jumped to almost double the price we paid at launch. When 2020 cruises were launched, and both factors were known and factored into the price, the difference was very noticeable. 

Aurora has been our favourite ship for some years, even though we find the cabins ancient and the choice of Select Dining restaurants poor, but we feel that she is becoming over priced. We are trying Iona this year and, if we like her, can probably get a suite on her for a similar price of a balcony cabin on Aurora. That will be a dilemma, especially as we can cruise in term time and avoid school holidays. 

I did mention in an earlier post that I thought the sudden price rises on Aurora  could be due to the fact that ex Oriana passengers were trying her because she is very similar ship. Aurora is more expensive than Arcadia now, and it used to be the other way around we've always found. 

46 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

You are quite correct. That has been the policy for years and I am not aware that P&O has changed it. However, with all the cancellations at the moment following Cornovirus concerns about potential quarantine scenarios or missed ports, normal rules may not apply. 

Something has definitely changed. 

I have done a bit of digging for our upcoming Britannia cruise and, on launch, the cheapest balcony offer we had was £629 for obstructed. 

We paid £389pp for inside and have just upgraded for an extra £70 each to unobstructed balcony. 

We just called our ta and that's the price they gave us. 

Perhaps it is due to the current climate, but it was always a 'cheapie' cruise. 

Andy 

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Something has definitely changed. 

I have done a bit of digging for our upcoming Britannia cruise and, on launch, the cheapest balcony offer we had was £629 for obstructed. 

We paid £389pp for inside and have just upgraded for an extra £70 each to unobstructed balcony. 

We just called our ta and that's the price they gave us. 

Perhaps it is due to the current climate, but it was always a 'cheapie' cruise. 

Andy 

That’s interesting Andy and well done you for getting such a great deal. I was hoping to upgrade our daughters from an inside to a balcony on the Iona Maiden cruise (which sold out within a week or so of going on sale) as the balance due date was last week,  but although there have been cancellations they have been inside and outside (no balcony) cabins only.