Cruise Critic Community
Até

Primary medical coverage

I have found policies that offer primary medical coverage difficult to find on your site.  Do you have a filter I can use to specifically search for these?

Hi Ate, Julie here from InsureMyTrip. I'm sorry to hear that it was difficult to find this information on our site. While we don't have a "filter" for this information --  what we encourage our customers to do is click "compare" on a few plans.  In compare mode, you can see plans side-by-side and easily distinguish between plans that offer primary medical coverage and those with secondary medical coverage. I hope this helps. I also attached some screenshots, so you can see this feature in use. You'll notice some plans have the word "secondary" noted under the medical benefit. 

Ate, if you want to avoid doing that digging on your own, you can speak with a licensed rep directly at 1-800-487-4722 and they can do the heavy lifting. 

First, for those interested in learning more about primary medical coverage it simply means that if you purchase a plan that has primary coverage, you may file a claim first with the travel insurance company. This allows you to file one claim and receive one conclusion. It’s often simpler for travelers to only file one claim, rather than two.

Annualmulti-trip medical plans and some single-trip medical plans require travelers to have primary health insurance. For most plans, any health insurance company would be considered a primary health care provider aside from Medicaid. These details will be specified on the plan certificate and under the “Additional Benefits” section of the quote for review prior to purchasing.

For instance, Medicare is considered your primary health insurance, so a travel insurance plan with secondary coverage may have extra steps to see a conclusion. Generally, the company will require you to file a claim with Medicare first. Once you are denied that claim, you can file a claim with them. Medicare will send a “refusal to reimburse” letter that will be crucial in your claims process with the travel insurance company.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 10.43.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 10.43.44 AM.png

Thanks for the reply.  I have had to go through and compare every policy that came up, it would be nice if your site added "Primary Medical" as one of the check boxes to the "Coverages" or "Plan Types" on the left side where you can choose other options.  A majority will specifically show as secondary so I can rule those out.  Am I correct in assuming the policies you show that don't state "secondary" are in fact primary?  Your site does not seem to show any as "primary".  When I look in the details some only cover accidents while others also cover sickness.  None explicitly state they are primary.

Ate, thanks for that feedback! It sounds like that type of filtering option would be helpful to a customer like you. We will pass along that to our website department. Also, here's a response to your question from Nichole at InsureMyTrip:

"The emergency medical benefit is to reimburse for expenses incurred during the trip for unforeseen illness or injury on all plans.  If it does not say secondary, then yes, it is primary and you are not required to file with your insurance back home first.  If it says secondary next to the limit, you would file your claim with your insurance back home first, then seek reimbursement from the travel insurance policy for anything your primary insurance did not cover.  When travelers are looking for medical coverage during their trip, we also recommend you search within the certificate under the exclusions section; this section will list any activities and illnesses not covered under the policy."

If you have a high deductible health care plan and you elect primary medical coverage from insurance- any costs from illness paid by the travel insurance will not go towards that deductible.    So if you travel early in your year of health care coverage it would make more sense to select secondary medical travel coverage .  The  travel insurance policy will pick up your deductible payment for any covered reason on your plan- so you would still have no out of pocket cost.