Cruise Critic Community
FTBLCOACH

Medallion arrival time

I'm booked on the 29 March North Coast cruise on Grand out of SFO.  I understand this will be her first Medallion Class sailing.  Although I'm an experienced Princess cruiser (yes, black card), this will be my first Medallion Class venture.  What is the procedure for securing your Medallion?  Is it mailed to you or do you pick it up at check-in like the old days?  I'm also a dinosaur and don't have a cell phone.  Will this impact the usefulness of the Medallion?

Technology...bah.  Give me the old days of stone knives, bear skins, and a roaring fire at night.

44 minutes ago, FTBLCOACH said:

I'm booked on the 29 March North Coast cruise on Grand out of SFO.  I understand this will be her first Medallion Class sailing.  Although I'm an experienced Princess cruiser (yes, black card), this will be my first Medallion Class venture.  What is the procedure for securing your Medallion?  Is it mailed to you or do you pick it up at check-in like the old days?  I'm also a dinosaur and don't have a cell phone.  Will this impact the usefulness of the Medallion?

Technology...bah.  Give me the old days of stone knives, bear skins, and a roaring fire at night.

It is mailed to you. Sent about 20 days before you sail. A lanyard and a plastic holder will accompany it. Many choose to do it differently or not to carry it around there neck at all. All types of items available on the ship to purchase for the medallion. 

You will be able to pick it up at check-in just like checking in for any cruise.  I personally like using the Medallion, the only thing you will miss out on is one free drink using the app on a smartphone or tablet.

I prefer the wrist band for the medallion as I detest lanyards.  The bands can be purchased onboard. Enjoy your cruise.

We've only done one cruise with Medallions, and at that time there was a website it could be done through as well as a smart phone app. I can't find any mention of a website now, and they may have done away with it. So I think you can't get it mailed to you. You'd need to scan your passport in anyway, and that's a big hassle.

They'll set you up with a Medallion at the cruise pier, and you don't need a smart phone to use it. Just check in like always.

I had no problems scanning in the passport. The still mail them out. if you do not receive one it is usually because you booked close to departure. In that case. Yes. You swill receive it when you check in. No need to do anything on the web site. It is sent automatically once you sing in and enter your information..

Thanks for the information everyone.  twodaywonder...Welcome Home, Brother.

if you have your Princess Personalizer info complete, like on all your other cruises, it is just like picking up your cruise card at the port 

We sail on March 1 and just received our medallions today.  I've seen pictures of the nice boxes they come in, so kind of a letdown that all we got was this plain box.

20200214_162450.jpg

18 minutes ago, bluehengal said:

We sail on March 1 and just received our medallions today.  I've seen pictures of the nice boxes they come in, so kind of a letdown that all we got was this plain box.

Curious where did yours ship from?  We are also in NC, and wondered if they were still shipping from overseas now.  We don't sail until May, however we are leaving few days prior to sightsee in Seattle.  I'm assuming they will arrive way before our departure date.  

12 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Curious where did yours ship from?  We are also in NC, and wondered if they were still shipping from overseas now.  We don't sail until May, however we are leaving few days prior to sightsee in Seattle.  I'm assuming they will arrive way before our departure date.  

It shipped from Doral, Florida.  I received the email with the tracking information yesterday and the medallions today via FedEx.

16 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Ours came from Singapore thru Japan via FedEx.  Arrived 18 days before sail date.

19 minutes ago, C-LAD said:

Ours came from Singapore thru Japan via FedEx.  Arrived 18 days before sail date.

Oops...husband told me it was medallions.   I just got home and it was only the sport bands we ordered.  Guess we will just continue to wait.  We sail in 16 days, so we're running out of time. 

17 minutes ago, bluehengal said:

It shipped from Doral, Florida.  I received the email with the tracking information yesterday and the medallions today via FedEx.

Thanks for the information.

Hope you have a great cruise!

36 minutes ago, bluehengal said:

Oops...husband told me it was medallions.   I just got home and it was only the sport bands we ordered.  Guess we will just continue to wait.  We sail in 16 days, so we're running out of time. 

Oh no, thats what I was concerned about with everything thats going on over there. We arent ordering any accessories thru Princess, just purchased on Amazon. Hope you receive them soon. 

54 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Oh no, thats what I was concerned about with everything thats going on over there. We arent ordering any accessories thru Princess, just purchased on Amazon. Hope you receive them soon. 

I just looked back on the order and it shows a delivery date of Feb 22.....one week before we fly to Florida!  We'll see...

4 minutes ago, bluehengal said:

I just looked back on the order and it shows a delivery date of Feb 22.....one week before we fly to Florida!  We'll see...

So thats basically a week before your actual cruise date?  Since we are leaving several days prior to our actual cruise date not sure I like that small window for delays if any. Might change to pick them up at the port just incase. Thats too close for us in our situation. 😂

6 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So thats basically a week before your actual cruise date?  Since we are leaving several days prior to our actual cruise date not sure I like that small window for delays if any. Might change to pick them up at the port just incase. Thats too close for us in our situation. 😂

I agree.  It's way too close for comfort for me!  I had really hoped to have it this week.   Ugh!

We are on the March 1 sailing on the Regal out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our medallions arrived two days ago by fed x. We are leaving early too, planning to visiting family in fla.

Ordered ours through the app. It arrived a few weeks before the cruise. If you don't order beforehand, it will be available at Pier. 

9 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

You will be able to pick it up at check-in just like checking in for any cruise.  I personally like using the Medallion, the only thing you will miss out on is one free drink using the app on a smartphone or tablet.

I prefer the wrist band for the medallion as I detest lanyards.  The bands can be purchased onboard. Enjoy your cruise.

How do you get the one free drink using the app?

29 minutes ago, pmak said:

How do you get the one free drink using the app?

Through the app

I was told that since my phones are to old to load the app that they won't mail them to me and they'll only way is to pick them up at the terminal.

It seems strange that I couldn't call & have them mailed.

18 hours ago, FTBLCOACH said:

There is a roll call for this  cruise, come join it:

regarding receiving the medallion in the mail, I'm guessing it only automatically is sent to those who have previously cruised on a medallion sailing because I had to request it through the app after taking a picture of myself for security and taking a picture of my passport.  So without a smartphone you will have to wait until at the pier.

2 hours ago, jsiegel said:

There is a roll call for this  cruise, come join it:

regarding receiving the medallion in the mail, I'm guessing it only automatically is sent to those who have previously cruised on a medallion sailing because I had to request it through the app after taking a picture of myself for security and taking a picture of my passport.  So without a smartphone you will have to wait until at the pier.

Our fist cruise was the Sky Princess and it was mailed to us. That was for Dec 1st 2020 and we had to cancel the day before the cruise. Our Jan 11th 2020 Sky Cruise and we also received it in the mail. They were shipped from overseas. Not the US.