Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

A buffet can be the place where you hear overweight and diabetic cruisers chat about the lack of personal responsibility in society today as they overload their plates with all kinds of food their doctors recommend they should avoid.

lol. somehow i can see this crowd who retired with a pension at 58; their boomer-scooter parked next to the table bitching about " millennials" 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MSUjohn said:

that is one thing i do like about buffets; if it larger on can make some great and unique....er spreads.

Some years ago we were on a cruise and I had braces on my teeth (yes, an older person even then).  The salad bar was great cause I could get tons of toppings but no greens (they got stuck in my braces).  Just the two of us so no way we can keep all those great choices around.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Some years ago we were on a cruise and I had braces on my teeth (yes, an older person even then).  The salad bar was great cause I could get tons of toppings but no greens (they got stuck in my braces).  Just the two of us so no way we can keep all those great choices around.

for cruising i like the buffet for lunch, a variety of soups, and make a nice sandwich or maybe a small salad. but i like that there are several soups. 

8 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

for cruising i like the buffet for lunch, a variety of soups, and make a nice sandwich or maybe a small salad. but i like that there are several soups. 

On Oceania they have a 'cook to order' grill and one day I got a wonderful medium rare lamb burger with no bun and some salad.

IMG_7121 - Edited.jpg

2 minutes ago, clo said:

On Oceania they have a 'cook to order' grill and one day I got a wonderful medium rare lamb burger with no bun and some salad.

IMG_7121 - Edited.jpg

see that is one of the positives about a buffet, you could never get that on a menu.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

that is one thing i do like about buffets; if it larger on can make some great and unique....er spreads.

once again no edit feature

*that is one thing i do like about buffets; if it is larger, one can make some great and unique....er spreads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

once again no edit feature

*that is one thing i do like about buffets; if it is larger, one can make some great and unique....er spreads. 

The edit feature is limited to a 15 minute window after submitting your post. 

Edited by davekathy

On 2/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, 4jaynki said:

With the exception of Guys, we only eat in the MDR. Just our personal preference. 

We do too. We have an occasional pizza or deli sandwich. The common denominator is that the food is served to us. No handling of common serving utensils, etc.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Me by the Sea said:

WOW!  That’s quite a post.  Why would you even care what another person says, does, eats?  It’s their vacation and they can eat what they want — without (a self-appointed) member of the pantry police overseeing their choices. 

Welcome to CC!  Mt statement was just that, an observation of actual experiences from the cruises I've been on.  I didn't think I had a judgement or care involved, nor did I feel I was part of the pantry police as you claim. I stated an observable fact, and have heard those same folks saying they can do what they like to do while they moan about society's lack of personal responsibility.  Just like you did in your post.  

Did I hit a nerve for you to respond so unjustly?

On 7/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, evandbob said:

A buffet can be the place where you hear overweight and diabetic cruisers chat about the lack of personal responsibility in society today as they overload their plates with all kinds of food their doctors recommend they should avoid.

“as they overload their plates wiTh all kinds off food their doctors recommend they should avoid”

That is judgemental in my opinion.  Again - why does it matter to you?  

The only nerve you hit was the one about criticizing another cruiser.  They paid their money. They can eat what they want in my book.

If I’m their provider, I will turn a very blind eye to what is on their plates.  It’s their vacation. 

I agree with the above post.  We should not make fun of people and what they eat.  It is our lives, it is our vacation.  Let us have fun.  Full disclouse.  I am 5'7" and weigh 145;  so I am within limits.;  I am just saying please don't make fun of others

• Like 3

On 7/11/2020 at 10:21 PM, MSUjohn said:

see that is one of the positives about a buffet, you could never get that on a menu.

What????  

You certainly could get that on a menu if it was being served that day;  and you could never  get it at a buffet if it was not being served that day.

well cathy I see it's a recommendation. Hopefully people will treat this recommendation with more care than they do the clothing recommendation on gala/formal night. 

Edited by c-boy

1 hour ago, clo said:

First, thank you for sharing that.  

The  Washington Post article links to an FDA statement which is from April.  (Old news recycled as new news. Gotta love the WP!). I’m not commenting on the validity, just the timelines of it.

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Me by the Sea said:

April

Oops. I REALLY try to keep an eye out for such things, especially now. But I've long 'felt' that no self-serve would be the easiest as far as getting little to no pushback from pax. Thanks.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Oops. I REALLY try to keep an eye out for such things, especially now. But I've long 'felt' that no self-serve would be the easiest as far as getting little to no pushback from pax. Thanks.

We've been on HAL with the servers instead of self serve, and had no problems with it. But, it was not 100% self serve. But, IIRC, you still made your own coffee or tea, poured your own water or lemonade. Are you going to have employees doing that instead in your future cafeteria?

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We've been on HAL with the servers instead of self serve, and had no problems with it. But, it was not 100% self serve. But, IIRC, you still made your own coffee or tea, poured your own water or lemonade. Are you going to have employees doing that instead in your future cafeteria?

Oceania served all the beverages once you were seated. It went quite smoothly.

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Oceania served all the beverages once you were seated. It went quite smoothly.

On our HAL cruise, I do remember a server making sure my lemonade was always full. And in fact, I gave her a write up as one of the employees who made the cruise special. (She was very happy about that.) But, I do remember getting by self serve decaf coffee for DW who was at the pool and obviously in her swim suit.

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I agree with the above post.  We should not make fun of people and what they eat.  It is our lives, it is our vacation.  Let us have fun.  Full disclouse.  I am 5'7" and weigh 145;  so I am within limits.;  I am just saying please don't make fun of others

some behaviors, even personal behaviors do have a stigma and for good reason. wanton gluttony should be made fun of if not sneered at.

50 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

some behaviors, even personal behaviors do have a stigma and for good reason. wanton gluttony should be made fun of if not sneered at.

I’m confused as to why you feel you know someone’s being a glutton?  Let me share an experience with you.

I once had a patient who lost 200 lbs. She was still obese, but on the way down the scale.  To celebrate her birthday her husband had a party at Golden Corral.  She went up and filled her plate with a wide variety of foods. To the casual bystander, it looked excessive. What those judging her did not know was that once in the room set aside for her party, she would have one or two bites of each item to taste them, and then stop eatIng that item. Her plate had a lot of food on it when it was cleared. 

What was particularly CRUEL was on the way out, She received a few nasty, snide comments from a couple who had been behind her at one food station. This was her birthday and we were celebrating a personal triumph for her.  It was completely wrecked by a pair of sanctimonious judgmental hypocrites!  Please don’t join their ranks.

Think of her story before you decide to pass judgement on another human being. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

That’s quite a story.  Rehabilitated from a presumed glutton to just blatantly wasteful.

Please remember that an online post is forever. Write posts that you would like your friends, employers, relatives to read and be proud of you for writing it.  Not embarrassed because it is less than nice. 

Edited by Me by the Sea
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Me by the Sea said:

Please remember that an online post is forever. Write posts that you would like your friends, employers, relatives to read and be proud of you for writing it.  Not embarrassed because it is less than nice. 

really? so "shaming" people for disreputable behavior is wrong, but doxing is ok?