klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What????  

You certainly could get that on a menu if it was being served that day;  and you could never  get it at a buffet if it was not being served that day.

I think you took my meaning just a little to literal.

3 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

so "shaming" people for disreputable behavior is wrong, but doxing is ok?

I prefer education and encouragement of good behaviour🤗. It leads to better outcomes than shaming which usually results in self destructive behaviours. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Me by the Sea said:

Please remember that an online post is forever. Write posts that you would like your friends, employers, relatives to read and be proud of you for writing it.  Not embarrassed because it is less than nice. 

This^ And thanks. And I would say unless one is a super close friend or super close family member then no you shouldn't judge. MYOB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

really? so "shaming" people for disreputable behavior is wrong, but doxing is ok?

I had to look up "doxing" and hardly believe that's what was done at all. So you think that person could be identified by that description?

29 minutes ago, Me by the Sea said:

Please remember that an online post is forever. Write posts that you would like your friends, employers, relatives to read and be proud of you for writing it.  Not embarrassed because it is less than nice. 

I don't have to worry about any of that. No one I know reads or posts on CC. 🤣

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, clo said:

I had to look up "doxing" and hardly believe that's what was done at all. So you think that person could be identified by that description?

the tone of the quote is something that is done especially to employees....who are then expected to fire the employee.  

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I prefer education and encouragement of good behaviour🤗. It leads to better outcomes than shaming which usually results in self destructive behaviours. 

I agree.  However, for context, I refer to post 948 in which an uplifting weight-loss story was marred by the obvious and blatant waste of food on the part of the almost heroine. I stand by my observation.  It was not judgemental at all, a plain statement of the obvious.

BTW, I don’t feel doxed.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

I agree.  However, for context, I refer to post 948 in which an uplifting weight-loss story was marred by the obvious and blatant waste of food on the part of the almost heroine. I stand by my observation.  It was not judgemental at all, a plain statement of the obvious.

BTW, I don’t feel doxed.

nobody is goingf to get doxed for "gluttony shamming" on cruise critic.

It's funny that anyone actually gives more than a passing thought to what someone else is eating at a buffet.  As long as somebody isn't being loud and obnoxious or letting their kids run wild, I couldn't care less what they do at a buffet.  Watching other people eat and judging them for it sounds like 15 minutes of a person's life they will never get back.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I stand by my observation.  It was not judgemental at all, a plain statement of the obvious.

Having read the said quote I would say the wording comes across judgemental rather than observational. It may not have been your intention but that is the issue with the written format how it sounds in your head and how others read it can be very different (I had my own experience with this just recently. Made for a very confusing conversation😂). I think Twitter and meme culture is a bit to blame, everyone is trying to be short and snappy but unfortunately it can come off as quite aggressive stirring up people's emotions and leaving the writer no room to expand or clarify the expression. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Me by the Sea said:

she would have one or two bites of each item to taste them

I'm confused. If she only wanted one or two bites if each item, why didn't she just take the smallest possible portion of each item? Then there would have been no wastage 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Having read the said quote I would say the wording comes across judgemental rather than observational. It may not have been your intention but that is the issue with the written format how it sounds in your head and how others read it can be very different (I had my own experience with this just recently. Made for a very confusing conversation😂). I think Twitter and meme culture is a bit to blame, everyone is trying to be short and snappy but unfortunately it can come off as quite aggressive stirring up people's emotions and leaving the writer no room to expand or clarify the expression. 

Well, you’re free to construct a theory on the evolution of commentary in the age of Twitter, discussion boards and somewhat anonymous social media and interpret it that way and I won’t debate it.  The inspiring tale strongly suggested that a person piled their plate high with food they had no intention of eating and simply left a significant portion to go in the trash.  In my books, that’s waste.

• Like 2

Add me to the list of people who don't know the definition of "doxing".  From Oxford - "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent."

It didn't say anything about firing employees so I'm not clear on the use of the word in that context. Also, judgmental isn't the same as malicious.  Clearly I'm confused about what's being discussed or the point being made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm confused. If she only wanted one or two bites if each item, why didn't she just take the smallest possible portion of each item? Then there would have been no wastage 

I was wondering the same thing. If she just wanted to try a small sample of many items, why not just take a wee bit of each?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I was wondering the same thing. If she just wanted to try a small sample of many items, why not just take a wee bit of each?

Although (according to the original story) the lady had lost 200 pounds it appears as though her attitude towards food had not changed.  She’s still got some serious work ahead of her.  Additionally, taking her out to the Golden Corral (Buffet, Buffet! Buffet) is not helpful.... sort of like taking an early in recovery alcoholic out to a keg party to help celebrate three months of recovery.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:07 PM, Me by the Sea said:

It’s 6 of one, half dozen of another. It does not matter if I put the food on my plate, or a server hands me the portion on the plate.  Why does it make a difference and why are folks knickers in a twist about this?  

I cannot go back and reread 900+ posts, but is anyone really arguing strongly against a buffet that isn't self serve.   I'm sure I said it somewhere in this thread, but I think the poll is misleading because of the way it is worded.   Get rid of buffets? Of course not.  Get rid of self serve buffets? Yeah that would be OK.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I cannot go back and reread 900+ posts, but is anyone really arguing strongly against a buffet that isn't self serve.   I'm sure I said it somewhere in this thread, but I think the poll is misleading because of the way it is worded.   Get rid of buffets? Of course not.  Get rid of self serve buffets? Yeah that would be OK.   

I'm ok with getting rid of the self serve buffets too because the buffet isn't important to me. I will not use a buffet with staff serving the food because if I want to be served I don't go to the buffet. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm ok with getting rid of the self serve buffets too because the buffet isn't important to me. I will not use a buffet with staff serving the food because if I want to be served I don't go to the buffet. 

We go to the buffet because we do not want our choice of food to be limited to what is on the menu in the MDR or speciality restaurant.  I know that there is some flexibility in choosing mixtures of different dishes from the menu, but there is far more choice in the buffet. If I want to eat roast beef, smoked salmon, mashed potato and spaghetti, with a small slice of pizza, that is easily done in the buffet, less so in a "sit down" restaurant.

I do not care if I serve myself or if someone serves me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We go to the buffet because we do not want our choice of food to be limited to what is on the menu in the MDR or speciality restaurant.  I know that there is some flexibility in choosing mixtures of different dishes from the menu, but there is far more choice in the buffet. If I want to eat roast beef, smoked salmon, mashed potato and spaghetti, with a small slice of pizza, that is easily done in the buffet, less so in a "sit down" restaurant.

I do not care if I serve myself or if someone serves me.

We go to the buffet when we prefer not to interact with anyone and that happens maybe once or twice during a cruise. We prefer the food in the other restaurants so if someone shall serve us we have no reason to go to the buffet.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:48 PM, Me by the Sea said:

There is no such thing as a forever post in CC

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is no such thing as a forever post in CC

Oh, remember that folks screen print and keep them as photos.  They can show up in the most unexpected places!  Such as below 🤣

1DC72DC6-D8D5-4644-946B-F75A0BD7B236.png

Edited by Me by the Sea
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Me by the Sea said:

Oh, remember that folks screen print and keep them as photos.  They can show up in the most unexpected places!  Such as below 🤣

1DC72DC6-D8D5-4644-946B-F75A0BD7B236.png

I am honored that somebody would want to print out and save a post by moi.