Vancouver hotels: airport or downtown?

WiscGram

17 hours ago, botbien said:

We consider staying at Pan Pacific. Are there any near-by (walkable) restaurants outside of the hotel?

Also, do we need to book a cruise package in order to get our luggage transferred directly to the port?

Thank you. 

Yes - if you can walk even 500 yards you will have many restaurant choices - but if you want something on the fancier side, Five Sails inside the hotel is excellent (and also has very nice views).

Technically only a cruise package includes the in-room baggage pickup; but a 'pre-emptive tip' to the bell staff would undoubtedly be a lot cheaper than the extra cost of the cruise package, so unless you also want a ridiculously overpriced breakfast included the package is poor value.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:35 PM, botbien said:

We consider staying at Pan Pacific. Are there any near-by (walkable) restaurants outside of the hotel?

Also, do we need to book a cruise package in order to get our luggage transferred directly to the port?

All you need to do is get in the elevator.  The cruise terminal is on the parkade level of the Pan Pacific, you don't even leave the building.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, martincath said:

Yes - if you can walk even 500 yards you will have many restaurant choices - but if you want something on the fancier side, Five Sails inside the hotel is excellent (and also has very nice views).

Technically only a cruise package includes the in-room baggage pickup; but a 'pre-emptive tip' to the bell staff would undoubtedly be a lot cheaper than the extra cost of the cruise package, so unless you also want a ridiculously overpriced breakfast included the package is poor value.

Martin,

When I checked in last May I asked how to get to the cruise terminal and they gave me a card to call for the bellman to come up and get my luggage, I wasn't on a cruise package. I did tip the bellman both when I arrived and when he took the bags. I think I had to call to have them get the bags by 11 or 11:30 am.

A-

Edited by AlanF65

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Martin,

When I checked in last May I asked how to get to the cruise terminal and they gave me a card to call for the bellman to come up and get my luggage, I wasn't on a cruise package. I did tip the bellman both when I arrived and when he took the bags. I think I had to call to have them get the bags by 11 or 11:30 am.

A-

I have no doubt that's what happened Alan. According to their own website it's just the cruise package that includes luggage transfer with no mention of it in the regular room amenities... but then officially they also claim that they only accept bags for storage if you are a guest too. Pretty sure the 'bellhop mafia' control what actually happens - i.e. tip 'em and you get bags moved or stored no problem - making the cruise package horrible value 😉

10 hours ago, martincath said:

I have no doubt that's what happened Alan. According to their own website it's just the cruise package that includes luggage transfer with no mention of it in the regular room amenities... but then officially they also claim that they only accept bags for storage if you are a guest too. Pretty sure the 'bellhop mafia' control what actually happens - i.e. tip 'em and you get bags moved or stored no problem - making the cruise package horrible value 😉

The cruise package is horrible for me  when I travel because I travel solo and its breakfast for two. I guess the front desk is on the 'bellhop mafia' as they have a printed card with the instructions. 😎

19 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

The cruise package is horrible for me  when I travel because I travel solo and its breakfast for two. I guess the front desk is on the 'bellhop mafia' as they have a printed card with the instructions. 😎

They're not part of the Family, but they are the first folks to get kickbacks from them. We should probably stop talking about them now, or guys in tiny hats pushing luggage trolleys will start following us around... 😉

1 hour ago, martincath said:

They're not part of the Family, but they are the first folks to get kickbacks from them. We should probably stop talking about them now, or guys in tiny hats pushing luggage trolleys will start following us around... 😉

I would send you a special tinfoil hat to keep you safe but they use different radio waves in Canada and American tin foil won't work. I will leave something for you to keep you safe with the bellman in a secret location when I stay there in May.

I tip well so they probably will leave me alone. Are shared tips kickbacks in Canada?

In the mean time hide in plain sight, the little carts can't maneuver

20190524_101959.thumb.jpg.d1a92cf991a78e050c55f84ad6a83392.jpg.

20190524_101955.thumb.jpg.bf42608df8f540104247f126d57ebc06.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 2:13 PM, martincath said:

Great!  Thank you very much Martincath.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, scottbee said:

All you need to do is get in the elevator.  The cruise terminal is on the parkade level of the Pan Pacific, you don't even leave the building.

Thank you for the additional detail Scottbee.