Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
groryjm

Silhouette's new Retreat

Recommended Posts

On Millenium the only shade was inside the seating pods. Even the slatted roof gave no shade as it was open between slats and just decorative. It was very quiet up there for obvious reasons last spring in the Far East. The space itself was great and the light lunches were great. It did involve long sleeves and hats though so we didn’t really linger longer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Porch is great - avoid the tables near the internal door - everytime someone comes through them there is a blast of wind so strong it actually knocked my wine glass over at one point.  But more to the middle you are protected by the walls and they have infra red heating.  Its actually really nice up there in rough weather if you enjoy that and don't get sea sick!

 

Lawn Grill I was less impressed with in cold / inclemant weather.  We were up there for the Lisbon sailaway last October.  They give you blankets and there is infra red but the gaps in the glass walls were such the food cooled really quickly.  It is just a bit mmore exposed than the porch.  But both perfectly useable even at force 9!

 

I concur with this; we ate in both on our cruise to Norway last September.

 

Might be worth noting we were the only diners in The Porch at 6.30; hopefully it filled up later! Food was good; more relaxed the traditional speciality restaurants, but very pleasant nonetheless. 

 

Lawn Grill I really wanted to like, but the weather the evening we ate there was awful - wet, windy and cold - and if I'm being really honest ruined the experience. We enjoyed the food, but will try to pick better weather next time!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the photos.  It looks like a smaller version of the Retreat Sundeck on Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Luckily not on Equinox so on her all passengers are still allowed to look ahead on deck 14! It is ridiculous that they took away two outer decks from all guests. Modern luxury, but not for all!

So you are saying a guest who pays $1,000 for a cabin should have the same perks as a guest who pays $10,000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

So you are saying a guest who pays $1,000 for a cabin should have the same perks as a guest who pays $10,000?

Sounds like a great new thread.  Get popcorn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's starting to sound like the Titanic.

 

As it is anywhere else in the world, the Titanic was divided up into social classes. First class, second class, and third class. First class passengers and third class passengers were not allowed to mix at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just on day 3 on the “new” silhoutte.  If you have been on the Edge you will likely be disappointed.  The Retreat sun deck is split over 2 decks - 15 and 16.  But the elevator only goes to 15 and you have to use outside stairs to access the bar and deck 16.  So if you have mobility issues, you probably not getting to deck 16.  And as someone else noted, very little shade.  The Retreat lounge is on deck 5 at the stern of the ship in the old Michaels club so is much smaller than the retreat lounge on the Edge.  Then Luminae restaurant is on deck 3, also at the stern.  So the “Edgeification” of the Silhoutte is awkward to say the least.  Now in our suite - Royal suite - the bathroom electrical outlets are up by the ceiling.  I am 5ft 6 and standing on tip toes can just reach them.  Unfortunately none of our electrical appliances (toothbrush, hairdryer, etc) have long enough leads to reach.  So can’t speak for the other suites, but if you are in a Royal suite, bring your own extension cord.  You will need it.  A lot of brand new staff on the ship, so service can be spotty - usually excellent but with a few gaps.  Still the beautiful ship it was previously and we are enjoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drwho32 said:

....  Now in our suite - Royal suite ..............

 

I would love to see some photos of your suite or even video....Enjoy yur cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

As long as Kelly Hoppen is designing the Suite areas, it will continue.  Atleast there is a bar.  The retreat sundeck on the MClass ships does not have one. 

 

Curious to see the design of the suite cabins.  I hope it's not like anything she did on the MClass.

 

 

Very little is being done in any of the cabins of the "S" class ships, some categories have received new patio furniture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Klapka said:

I see a bar.  Drinks are free?

If it is like the Edge. The Retreat pool bar drinks are only free if you have a drink package. Drinks are free at the Retreat ie old MC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

So you are saying a guest who pays $1,000 for a cabin should have the same perks as a guest who pays $10,000?

It is not about perks. I just want free access to a forward view like it has been in the past!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

It is not about perks. I just want free access to a forward view like it has been in the past!

Outside forward facing access is still available on deck 12 at the front of the gym.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

So you are saying a guest who pays $1,000 for a cabin should have the same perks as a guest who pays $10,000?

Arrogant!

All guests deserve a view!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If it is like the Edge. The Retreat pool bar drinks are only free if you have a drink package. Drinks are free at the Retreat ie old MC

We didn’t pay on the Edge TA last April and we didn’t have a drink package. They started charging suite guests on the Retreat pool deck initially, but a few days later stopped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the caste system on Celebrity now has another victim. A huge space wear 90% of the ship can't go. Not as bad as the E class where there is not a single front-facing lounge. After 20+ cruises and Elite Plus status, another reason we are moving to Viking Ocean where everyone is treated the same. 

 

Go ahead...flame me Suite people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Luckily not on Equinox so on her all passengers are still allowed to look ahead on deck 14! It is ridiculous that they took away two outer decks from all guests. Modern luxury, but not for all!

 

Just like flying - if you want the benefits of first class, you pay the price. They haven't taken anything away from all guests - it's yours if you're willing to book a suite.  FWIW, in all my years of cruising, and walking laps around the decks, those were the most underused spaces thay could have possibly chosen for the Retreat! As a suite guest on our last cruise, I didn't visit the Retreat once. Nothing to be envious of. 

Edited by sippican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sippican said:

 

Just like flying - if you want the benefits of first class, you pay the price. They haven't taken anything away from all guests - it's yours if you're willing to book a suite.  FWIW, in all my years of cruising, and walking laps around the decks, those were the most underused spaces thay could have possibly chosen for the Retreat! As a suite guest on our last cruise, I didn't visit the Retreat once. Nothing to be envious of. 

Wrong, they have taken away two decks with forward view from all guests. If you have ever cruised e.g. in Norway or Alaska or Iceland this is the best place to watch the approach into a Fjord or to a Glacier. In the Caribbean I agree it does not matter that much. Issue is that Silhouette goes only to North Europe and South America in the next years so it will be colder and windy on most cruises, suite guests will no do sunbathing there that often and others are not allowed to go there just for nature watching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barbette165 said:

Outside forward facing access is still available on deck 12 at the front of the gym.

 

Isn‘t this in front of the Spa not the gym and for Sauna guests and others in bath robes only? Never been there because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

It is not about perks. I just want free access to a forward view like it has been in the past!

I won't return until it's restored to all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drwho32 said:

Just on day 3 on the “new” silhoutte.  If you have been on the Edge you will likely be disappointed.  The Retreat sun deck is split over 2 decks - 15 and 16.  But the elevator only goes to 15 and you have to use outside stairs to access the bar and deck 16.  So if you have mobility issues, you probably not getting to deck 16.  And as someone else noted, very little shade.  The Retreat lounge is on deck 5 at the stern of the ship in the old Michaels club so is much smaller than the retreat lounge on the Edge.  Then Luminae restaurant is on deck 3, also at the stern.  So the “Edgeification” of the Silhoutte is awkward to say the least.  Now in our suite - Royal suite - the bathroom electrical outlets are up by the ceiling.  I am 5ft 6 and standing on tip toes can just reach them.  Unfortunately none of our electrical appliances (toothbrush, hairdryer, etc) have long enough leads to reach.  So can’t speak for the other suites, but if you are in a Royal suite, bring your own extension cord.  You will need it.  A lot of brand new staff on the ship, so service can be spotty - usually excellent but with a few gaps.  Still the beautiful ship it was previously and we are enjoying.

Is this correct? The Retreat Lounge is on Deck Five? Does it open to outside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

Is this correct? The Retreat Lounge is on Deck Five? Does it open to outside?

Yes, the Retreat Lounge occupies the space where the original Michael's Club was. No, on the S-class ships it doesn’t open to the outside like the Retreat lounges on the Millennium class ships.

Edited by C-Dragons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes, the Retreat Lounge occupies the space where the original Michael's Club was. No, it doesn’t open to the outside like the lounges on the Millennium class ships.

So Zeniths are totally screwed! They really do value our loyalty😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

So Zeniths are totally screwed! They really do value our loyalty😥

???
Zeniths have access to the Retreat Lounges.

Edited by C-Dragons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...