How or Why Did You Decide to Take Your First Cruise??

Pale Gail Sails

I have to say that I am enjoying hearing about how and why people started to cruise. I also like to hear about destination choices as well and why people choose a specific location for their first trip.

I met a fellow on a cruise and he told me he booked his first cruise because the lady he had recently started dating told him she always wanted to take one.  When they were booking, he chose the longest cruise they each could afford so he could spend more time with her. Luckily it seemed to have worked out because I believe they are still together. If it had not worked out, a three week cruise might have been a bit awkward.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

I have to say that I am enjoying hearing about how and why people started to cruise. I also like to hear about destination choices as well and why people choose a specific location for their first trip.

I met a fellow on a cruise and he told me he booked his first cruise because the lady he had recently started dating told him she always wanted to take one.  When they were booking, he chose the longest cruise they each could afford so he could spend more time with her. Luckily it seemed to have worked out because I believe they are still together. If it had not worked out, a three week cruise might have been a bit awkward.

WOW....ya think? LOL....awkward? It could have been horrible.:classic_wacko: 3 weeks for a first trip? That

is pretty daring.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

WOW....ya think? LOL....awkward? It could have been horrible.:classic_wacko: 3 weeks for a first trip? That

is pretty daring.

I agree. I had a colleague who went on a two week Mediterranean  cruise with a girlfriend. They broke up during the second week. They were unable to get a second cabin and neither wanted to leave the ship. He told me it was a pretty uncomfortable and frosty five days. Unlike the fellow that booked the three week cruise that worked, I don't think my colleague has ever taken another cruise.

52 minutes ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

I agree. I had a colleague who went on a two week Mediterranean  cruise with a girlfriend. They broke up during the second week. They were unable to get a second cabin and neither wanted to leave the ship. He told me it was a pretty uncomfortable and frosty five days. Unlike the fellow that booked the three week cruise that worked, I don't think my colleague has ever taken another cruise.

I hope they at least got the beds moved apart.

• Haha 1

We have friends who live in Orlando and we were due to stay with them for a couple of weeks way back in 2000 when she rang to say that they had seen a short cruise at a bargain price out of Port Canaveral and were we interested. No brainer really as we were already there.  Got us well and truly hooked on cruising.  😉

• Like 1

In 2004 we had 13, 8 and 4 year-old sons and most of our vacations were camping or the like. I received a promotion and we were looking for something "different" for a vacation. We thought about a land vacation to Ireland, but the flights were too expensive. Then I was in the doctor's office waiting for an x-ray for the youngest son, and TV Channel was playing in the waiting room. The Love Boat. I started thinking, "What about a cruise?" The next day I saw an ad for a 5-day Canada cruise out of NYC on Carnival Victory. The price was good and we could drive to the port - if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be out much. DH wasn't really sure about this - I think he bought into the "newly wed and nearly dead" mantra. I booked it anyway, and right until we got onto the West Side Highway in NYC he was still nervous about it. We boarded the ship and were hooked. The boys loved it, we loved it - and when we returned DH booked the next year's cruise without even asking me.

• Like 2

Our first cruise was 2012 and it was a short 3 day to Ensenada. The company DH work's for took the entire shop on this cruise. It was our first Carnival. 

The company has done this same thing 3 times. We also went on the second trip - also a 3 day but on Princess. We much enjoyed the Carnival cruise more. 

That first cruise was enough for me that we booked a 7 day last November for our 25th anniversary.  And we enjoyed that one so much we booked a 5 day for next October (2021) for us, our 3 kids and our boys' girlfriends. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Pale Gail Sails said:

I am interested in knowing how people chose to take their first cruise.  I took my first cruise decades ago when a friend and I decided to take an Alaskan cruise. We had watched a television program that depicted a rather glamorous/romantic side to cruising and we decided it would be a good way to meet guys and vacation at the same time. We did not do any research other than price and destination. Since we lived on the west coast, the Alaskan cruise was the cheapest cruise we could find. Unfortunately we ended up on a cruise geared to seniors so we did not meet anyone our age but we had a great time and the love of cruising was born. We both now cruise with our husbands.  What made you take your first cruise and where was it?

I was kidnapped and smuggled on board against my will. Loved cruising ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The summer of 2010 we realized we were off the week following New Years . We wanted inexpensive meaning not flying but with a bit of warm . We booked a Carnival Pride Bahama cruise . I convinced DW that we could drive to Baltimore and book a stay and park hotel deal .

We were both shocked how big the Pride was . Loved it ! I also discovered Cruise Critic . Became addicted to both . 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, Tapi said:

My parents started me cruising back in the 80’s when I was 7 years old aboard the Cunard Princess. They were cruise addicted long before I was born. 

Perhaps that's why you were born . 😁

• Like 1

Back in 1991, my then husband was working a lot of long hours and traveling a lot.  Seemed every time we took a vacation, his boss would call him with questions - almost every day he was out of the office.  So we got to thinking about a vacation where he couldn't reach us and cruising came to mind.  So my then hubby contacted the company travel agent who booked us on a Princess cruise out of Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. It worked!  My former FIL got the name and phone number to call shore to ship and the boss got my FIL's phone number.  And yes, the boss did call FIL and try to get the number of the ship, but FIL told him his "emergency" could wait.  Yes, we were probably the youngest ones on the ship, but we had a great time and my love of cruising was born. 

My last cruise was just last Sept/Oct with my mom to New England/Canada and I'm itching to book another one.  Hopefully, I'll get to book one as a college graduation present for my youngest son for 2023.

• Like 1

I “decided “ to take my first cruise when the only alternative would have been to run away from home - in those days, my parents made all the decisions, paid the fare, and essentially controlled all aspects of my very young life.  I loved the Queen of Bermuda - sailing from New York to Hamilton - where she spent a few days tied up across Front Street from Trimingham’s (sadly now gone). Then, of course, there were those years on my uncle’s gray ships - with zero entertainment (other than nightly movies) and rather uninspiring meals.

Years later - shortly after my divorce - I sailed through the Aegean Sea in 1996 from Istanbul to Athens - that convinced me that it was the best way to vacation as a single - which I did once or twice a year until I met my new wife - we honeymooned on HAL’s Noordam from New York to the Caribbean in January 2008 - and now sail at least once a year - usually just as a preferred way to come back from Europe - but every once in a while as an escape from New England winter.  

• Like 2

We had always wanted to cruise, but owned a business and couldn't just shut it down while we vacationed.....but eventually got to the point where we COULD leave it for a week.  This was in the "90's, when cruising was so much fancier than it is today.  We got hooked!  The service was fantastic...the meals (no specialty restaurants then!) were always excellent, and quite varied.  5 courses nightly....with real silverware, china, and crystal.  Molded, chilled butter pats, and desserts that were almost too pretty to eat!  It was so nice!

Today's cruising is still a nice vacation, but it just doesn't have the same "special feel" that it used to have.

• Like 1

When I was a freshman in high school my science teacher shared her excitement about her cruise and I thought it sounded great but not likely something I would afford.  When DH and I were first married and "dreaming about the future" we thought a cruise for our 25th anniversary (which will be this year) would be a great way to celebrate.  Around 2012 we realized we should probably try a short cruise to make sure we liked it and decided on a 4 day cruise to Saint John from NYC (driving distance and likely to avoid hurricanes since we sailed in August).

We fell in love with being on the water and have done several cruise vacations since.

• Like 3

A few years ago, my Wife's high school reunion planning committee decided that going on a cruise would be more fun that a dinner dance at the local golf club.  Up to that time I had no desire to be locked up on a little boat way out on the water.

After much "discussion" from my Wife I reluctantly agreed to go.  It was a cruise down the Mexican Coast for 7 days.  As I walked up the gang plank, um wasn't a plank that was used to force people off the ship in mid ocean?, I turned around for a last look at dry land. 🤢

Fast forward a few years.  We now have 17 cruises under our belt with number 18 going to Alaska again in Sept of this year. This will be our 5th cruise back to Alaska.

The shortest cruise was one day and the longest was 33 days.

Both of us are sorry we did not start cruising earlier.

Bob

• Like 1

While being a fan of The Love Boat, I wanted to go on a cruise. One my friends was going on a cruise and asked me if I wanted to go. As I boarded the ship, the old Rotterdam, The Love Boat theme was in my head. Even though we ran into a hurricane, I loved it and I was hooked on cruising.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, SewMuch said:

This is a good question. I'm not sure why I wanted to go on that first cruise, but it was probably because of that tv show Love Boat. I didn't know anyone who had been on a cruise, and this was pre-internet, so I studied the cruise catalog like crazy and based my wardrobe on what people were wearing in the pictures!  Cruise #9 is coming up next month.

The Love Boat inspired me, too.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, Pale Gail Sails said:

I am interested in knowing how people chose to take their first cruise.  I took my first cruise decades ago when a friend and I decided to take an Alaskan cruise. We had watched a television program that depicted a rather glamorous/romantic side to cruising and we decided it would be a good way to meet guys and vacation at the same time. We did not do any research other than price and destination. Since we lived on the west coast, the Alaskan cruise was the cheapest cruise we could find. Unfortunately we ended up on a cruise geared to seniors so we did not meet anyone our age but we had a great time and the love of cruising was born. We both now cruise with our husbands.  What made you take your first cruise and where was it?

I had a career in the Navy and met DW just as I was getting out. She thought because I'd spent so much time at sea that I would have no interest in cruising and I thought because she was afraid of the water that she wouldn't so neither of us discussed it and it probably wouldn't have been feasible when the kids were really little because of finances. After many years passed a co-worker was going on a cruise and was talking about how fun they were and all so I mentioned it in passing to DW and we decided to look into it. We had just finished a family vacation that didn't involve camping (a trip to Washington, DC) and the boys were teen/almost teen. I checked into prices and found that we could afford a short cruise but wanted to try it out before hand, so we found a 2 night cruise to nowhere for DW and I to take. So our first cruise was in the Gulf of Maine. The following year we were able to take all of the boys on a 4 day cruise out of Florida.

• Like 2

In 2001 friends of ours convinced us to try it.  They had gone on a few Princess and Royal Cruises and liked it.  Our DS, 7 at the time, and DD, 4 at the time, were the same ages as their 2 boys.  We decided to do a 4 night Disney World and 3 night Disney Wonder vacation together.  We were hooked.  In 2004 we asked all the kids if they wanted to go back to Disney World or do a 7 night cruise.  A 7 night Disney Magic cruise won out.  After that all our kids got going into sports and we were all working full time it made it too impossible for us to schedule longer trips like this together again but both families have taken multiple cruises over the years, they have tended to do Royal while we alternated mainly between Carnival and NCL.  We have taken multiple smaller land trips together over the years and we are still good friends.   DS. now 25, will be standing up for their oldest DS in his wedding this fall.  They are going with us tonight to see a semi-pro basketball game were DD, now 23, is on the dance team and afterwards I am helping them book their first NCL cruise from their MyVegas Rewards (which we got them hooked on.)  Someday we will work it out so we can do another cruise together.  Having said that, we are planning a trip to Hawaii with them next year for their 30th anniversary.

• Like 1

I had zero desire to go on a cruise.  In 2011 my children ages 13-21 wanted to go on a family vacation (we had not been on one)  They wanted a cruise.  I hate water but gave in.  Loved it the minute I stepped on the ship.  My husband didn't go though.  So a couple years later I asked my husband if he wanted to go on a cruise with me or was I taking the kids again.  So although he didn't want to go he said he would but only to Alaska, I did NOT want to go to Alaska.  We went, the first night he was looking at fliers to see where else we could go.  I loved Alaska so much my kids and I went back the next year.

• Like 1

As a child they weren't up to me, but Sun Cruise Line's Stella Maris & Stella Solaris, 1980s through the Greek Islands.

As an adult (sorta) I organized a Carnival cruise in Spring of 2000 with 4 of my sorority sisters for Spring Break. Most of us had done Cancun and Key West and wanted something different. 5 college girls in an inside stateroom. 😲 We had a blast and still laugh about our antics (there was a topless sun deck). Below are a couple of pictures from a recent text chain about that trip...

I forgot sunscreen in Barbados and my friend still can't tan:

1384136939_cruise1.thumb.jpg.d870b19f9e8dfb49c3fc6b3af08a4800.jpg

There were mannequins placed in lots of places around the ship. We wanted to make sure they were having fun too...

136759909_cruise2.thumb.jpg.f1b053e952fd69d6c25c6b50b7e59a64.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, Pale Gail Sails said:

I am interested in knowing how people chose to take their first cruise. 

When we decided to give cruising a try, we jumped in with both feet - a 15 night Panama Canal cruise.  We had a good price offer and we took it.

• Like 1