Moose!!

Topdog52

We are on the Norwegian Pearl this May going to Halifax, St John, Bar Harbor, Portland and Newport. Any chance we will see a Moose at any of these Ports. My wife is a little crazy about seeing a moose. We went on an Alaskan Cruise last year and she was bummed out that she did not see one. 

I've seen one in southern Maine, when my wife commented on "what an ugly horse" that was out in a field (it was a cow moose).  We have had several over the 40 years I've lived in Portland, that have found their way into the city.  Most likely place is up in Aroostook county on the back roads, but it isn't something you could plan on.

Good luck seeing any moose!  Years ago we used to see a lot of moose around here, even walking around in the middle off town in the middle of the day!  Now if I want to see a moose, I go on a local "moose safari" designed for tourists in my area......small buses that go around back roads in early evenings between May and October checking out the watering holes where moose tend to hang out, but even then there is no guarantee!  The ticks have been doing a number on the moose over the years in New England.....ticks get on the moose and the moose die from the infestation.  Terrible way to go.  Scientists are looking for ways to save the population, and even moose hunting has been limited in the past few years with lotteries taking place with a small number of hunting licenses handed out.  Sorry to share all of this sad news.....they are incredible creatures and I would hate to see them become extinct.

Funny but true story.  Years ago in Idaho my husband and I, desperate to see a moose, followed a ranger's advice, and hiked for miles off an unpaved logging road to a small lake where we finally saw 3 of them.  Meanwhile, my elderly parents who had chosen instead to go golfing, encountered 17 moose on the golf course. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, maryann ns said:

I have lived in Nova Scotia for seven+ decades and never seen a moose in the wild. Perhaps visit the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park outside of Halifax. You would need to rent a car.

Halifax information

Thank you!! This was super helpful and I booked a tour with Bruce for October!

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, Topdog52 said:

We are on the Norwegian Pearl this May going to Halifax, St John, Bar Harbor, Portland and Newport. Any chance we will see a Moose at any of these Ports. My wife is a little crazy about seeing a moose. We went on an Alaskan Cruise last year and she was bummed out that she did not see one. 

If you rent a car, you can drive a half hour north of Portland to the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, ME, You will definitely see one or more moose there. It's a lovely state park.