Cruise Critic Community
melodyina

Hubby 'booked it'.. as a surprise, AND paid in full..

Hello CCritic Friends,

DH surprised me in the middle of the night, walking down the hallway at 3am holding this piece of paper.  I got up thinking something was wrong and he said 'our next vacation'.  He booked a 7 day AK cruise on the Millennium, AND paid it in full.   He failed to realize that I had a Celebrity Captains Circle number,  didn't think about insurance, or room location.  He booked 'Inside guarantee'.  We are a "Z".  (Oh how I would have enjoyed at least a window....)   I am 'elite' with Princess, and DH is on his way to the same status but said 'i'm tired of Princess I wanted to try something new'.  So here we are and a few of my questions: 

1). From Vancouver may I bring a bouquet of fresh flowers on board if they are wrapped from the florist? 

2). Is there a 'free' sauna or steam room?   In Princess its in the changing rooms of the spa. 

3). Z Class.  Today I looked and there are MANY inside rooms still unsold (49) that I see.  I fear we may be bottom of issue barrel.. (I only have 30 points on my captains club..). 

Yah, we got the Classic Beverage package. 🙂 .  I really do believe that is what made him grab this deal.  I"m very pleased with this surprise and such a wonderful trip we are planning.  This will be my 21st cruise, my last Celebrity sailing was on the Mercury - 2004.  I'm looking forward to my cruise, hubby seems to already be converted over to Celebrity just from the videos and postings.  I feel like a new cruiser all over again. 

What is the final payment date for this cruise? Assuming that you are still outside that date, you should be able to cancel and rebook a cabin more to your liking. Depending on whether he went with an NRD or not, you might lose a few dollars, but it might be worth it.

If you're within 24 hours, I might be tempted to cancel and re-book another category of cabin, especially for Alaska.  Although actually I guess you wouldn't even need to cancel, just make a change as long as it's more expensive.  As a member of Captain's Club, you qualify for a one cabin category upgrade.

No worries about the insurance--you can book that elsewhere at usually a better price!

Enjoy your trip  🙂

Ok.  He really tried.  Balence the damage you might do returning his gift in quite such an open way with what you might gain.  I am assuming he thought this was really something you would like and that he was proud and pleased with himself to give it to you.  For me - I would think twice, if not three or four times, before returning a gift like this.  That needs to be handled gently.  I would suggest love it, embrace it.  Keep an eye on boards and prices - you might be able to flip it for a better cabin etc. when you see a price drop.

In response to your specific questions - yes you may be able to board with wrapped flowers but that depends on your embarkation point.  There are other threads on this but they suggest that if you are US and embarking from a US port you can - put them through the scanner stems first.  No there is no free sauna or steam room.  They are paid for ammenities unless you book aqua class.  Can't comment on your last question as we don't know the specific sailing.  30 captain club points is not a lot.  Anyone who has sailed with X once before will be the same status - it runs from 1 - 149 points.  But you can get 10% off internet and one upgrade to a max of aqua class.

But Bottom line - DH bought you a cruise.  Love it.  Celebrate it.  Educate  so DH makes better decicons..... but you won't do that by rejecting it.    My DH is on here... so with due regard...trained well they are the best cruise bookers with the best price flipping, deck plan examining, cabin booking experts out there.  Embrace it!

First of all, give your husband a pat on the back for being such a nice guy.  Even if you are still beyond final payment, you can upgrade to a better cabin.   Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

The first time we ever went to Alaska, we were in an inside.  You really do need to be up on the top deck no matter what kind of cabin you are in, to see the glaciers properly and get the sound effects of the calving.

Edited by TeaBag

booked 'Inside guarantee'.  We are a "Z".

I don’t think you can get Captain’s Club one category upgrade for Guarantee cabins.

You will have to hope that when you get assigned a cabin number that you are happily with the location.

BTW, I would still add your Captains Club number to the booking.

No need to cancel your reservation.   Under manager your room -  click change your room and select whatever you want and it will tell you the difference.   You can upgrade your room even after final payment with no penalty.

Thanks for the info!  I will say that i've struggled on the Celebrity cruise webpage as I found it not user friendly (as compared to other cruiselines).  I will look into this for at least to see the $ difference. 

I did go back and add this cruise to my captains number.  I was actually surprised they still had me from long ago.  I did phone the rep and was told that adding my number would have made no difference to the price my husband paid for the cruise.  This is due to the fact he bought into the 'pick one' freebie promotion.  He picked the Classic Beverage package for two.  

Agree, this cruise is such a wonderful gift from hubby and I'm very happy.  Didn't budget for a cruise so soon, but we will certainly take advantage of this beautiful ship and itinerary.  I may have to upgrade hubby's wardrobe a bit as I want to eat in the dining room! I've looked at the menus and i'm very impressed.  We do have 8:30 dinner time, as that was all that was available, just juggle the schedule a bit.. early shows.. etc..

17 minutes ago, melodyina said:

Agree, this cruise is such a wonderful gift from hubby and I'm very happy.  Didn't budget for a cruise so soon, but we will certainly take advantage of this beautiful ship and itinerary.  I may have to upgrade hubby's wardrobe a bit as I want to eat in the dining room! I've looked at the menus and i'm very impressed.  We do have 8:30 dinner time, as that was all that was available, just juggle the schedule a bit.. early shows.. etc..

Suggest you simply call Celebrity and ask about upgrading your cabin.

DW and I have some 25 cruises on Celebrity. We usually book veranda cabins - except Alaska cruises! Outside never gets dark. Wonderful quiet. Want a view the there are lots of places steps from your cabin to look at the scenery.

PS - No formal nights on Celebrity. A nice shirt with or without a tie is good. I wear a turtleneck t-shirt and sportscoat. Wife has assorted black and white pants and dressy tops. Keep it simple.

Edited by az_tchr
No formal

I am a regular NCL user, but currently have my first Celebrity cruise booked.  Do they have an upgrade system like NCL? Maybe just wait for that opportunity. We just did an Alaskan cruise last summer and went from an inside cabin to a balcony for about $125 with their upgrade bidding. Needless to say, he got you the best kind of gift a cruise lover could ask for, regardless of the cabin. 

Edited by Joeghartman

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

No need to cancel your reservation.  Under manager your room -  click change your room and select whatever you want and it will tell you the difference. 

What? Somewhere under Manage Your Reservation? I've just been looking but can't find this option. It didn't sound like you meant just pricing a room with the search feature but with a booked reservation. Can you please expand?

If you don’t like your current cabin after its assigned, there is a “move-up” process to bid on other cabins. It’s usually within a month of your cruise, but you have that option!

Remember.... and interior cabin on a cruise ship is still better than a day at the office 😁

As others have said there may be a few options to upgrade to an oceanview or higher before sail date.  If nothing changes soon watch the pricing of your cruise and if the price of an oceanview or verandah drops to a price slightly above what you are paying you can usually pay to upgrade (pay attention to the promos and perks being offered).

Millenium may be my favourite X ship... enjoy.

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No need to cancel your reservation.   Under manager your room -  click change your room and select whatever you want and it will tell you the difference.   You can upgrade your room even after final payment with no penalty.

I can't find any fine print anywhere which allows me to change my room under "manage my reservation".  Would it have anything to do with notifications being blocked?  I've tried to unblock but nothing changes and icon still appears. 

12 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I can't find any fine print anywhere which allows me to change my room under "manage my reservation".  Would it have anything to do with notifications being blocked?  I've tried to unblock but nothing changes and icon still appears. 

Are you booked with a Travel Agent?  If so then that may be why you don’t see the option as pricing and cabin changes need to be done through the TA.

OP, also remember you can keep an eye out on any promotions before your final payment date (even though you've already paid in full), and if it's a better deal (more perks, for example), you should be able to get that promotion by calling your travel agent or Celebrity.

I would just like to add that from my perspective an inside cabin on Celebrity is way better than an inside cabin on Princess.

You will not have a giant closet (Princess does this well) but you will have a place to sit besides on the bed.  I would rather have the square feet in the room instead of in the closet.  The Millie has been re-done with all new cabin furniture..  The smaller closet works well on a shorter cruise with the added cabinets.  I did not like on my last Princess inside that once my DH sat at "his" desk there was no other seating in the room for me.  We are platinum level on Princess but I have stopped sailing with them because of the seating.  The lowest cabins on Celebrity get the seating that is only available in the Deluxe balcony on the newer Princess ships.   Look at the some videos of the "new" Millie, I think you will be impressed.

52 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Are you booked with a Travel Agent?  If so then that may be why you don’t see the option as pricing and cabin changes need to be done through the TA.

no...booked with X directly.   Had success with removing the notification block, but still no option showing to change my cabin.

I have the Change Stateroom option on only 1 of my 4 current Celebrity bookings... the one I booked online and then changed the cabin with a Celebrity agent... another I booked online I don't have the option, not sure why. Two others I booked with Celebrity to get the 'one cabin upgrade' also don't have the option.

The one that does is a suite... it's also 4 nights and the others are all 2 nights.. hard for me to get away for more than 3 with the arrival day before right now.

399366828_ScreenShot2020-02-17at7_54_04PM.png.4ac35fd9edb1397e2e04a9ae30f50651.png

Edited by twins_to_alaska

And when you do this...don't let him know "you" changed the cabin.  Say, EXUBERANTLY, "guess what!  Celebrity called and upgraded our cabin to a porthole/balcony/suite!!!"

I'm guessing you had been kinda homesick for Alaska?  (since that is your "formerly" location)?  if so, what a sweet thing your new husband did.

There is no way I would change the cabin and I wouldn't do it on my own and pretend I had received an upgrade.  

This is just my opinion, but he gave you a gift - why make him feel it wasn't quite good enough?

I've cruised to Alaska 5 times and once of the times was on Millennium.  I've had an inside, OV's and a balcony and I have enjoyed every one of them equally.  I spend most of my time out on the open decks, so the cabin type matters very little to me.

Enjoy your trip - I was just there in September and it is my favorite cruise destination.