The Viking Daily and onboard schedules

Just out of excitement for my upcoming trip, and having never been on a Viking cruise before, I would love to see some examples or photos of Viking Daily's to get an idea of what the days can look like onboard. I've seen photos of large fruit and chocolate tables and am curious to know more about or how often they are set up, or info about lectures, movies, etc. I would love to see/hear more about cruisers past experiences! 

Can’t speak to your particular cruise but if you check out my blog for our transatlantic last April, it will give you some idea of some of the special events. Click here for the start of the cruise:

https://cruisinwithclay.com/2019/03/29/there-she-is/
and then at the bottom you can press “next” to see each post of that cruise. 

I thought I had blogged about the chocolate buffet but I guess not. 😢 sorry. 

During our recent Asian cruise they had an American BBQ night (it was alright but no potato salad-horrors!) and several other special dinners on the pool deck. 

We have decided that some of the decision on when to hold special events may be tied to how many people are trying to eat in the Restaurant at about the same time.  If after a day or two they see tht everyone is trying to eat at the same time in the same place, they throw on an event to draw some folks to another venue. 

have a great cruise!

Similar to Clay, I am completing a daily blog post from this year's World Cruise. I'm not photographing the Daily, but am mentioning the special meals we receive almost daily and activities.

www.AndyandJudi.com

I suspect there are more Special food events on a transatlantic crossing or a World Cruise and its segments then a dedicated itinerary - back and forth of the same cruise like Midnight Sun or Med Sojourn.  We just returned from SA & Chilean Fjords with 7 sea days (plus 1 extra for missed port) and we had no chocolate bar, no brunch in the pool grill, no soup day in the pool grill.  Don't expect it  just because you heard about it on another cruise.  We did have a Land & Sea (lobster & filet) in the Pool Grill one evening where they set up lots of extra tables.  It was okay.  The steak was too well done and the sides were very limited.  I would prefer ordering a steak how i like it rather then stand in a long buffet.  We went because it was an "event".  A few nights later, they did the same thing.  We skipped it and had a wonderful served meal in an empty restaurant.  The World Cafe and The Restaurant have daily changing menus with fabulous food.  There are touch screens throughout the ship showing daily menus.  There usually is a seafood buffet in the World Cafe one night.  Watch the menus for it.  One night there was a ton of king crab legs, scallops still attached to the shell, oysters rockefeller, crayfish and the usual pile of shrimp.

As far as other events, they showed the Super Bowl Game on the large pool screen and the Pool Grill was open late for that.  It was quite the scene.  There were two movie nights in the pool area.  We had Dancing Under the Stars with the Viking Band.  On port days the activities were limited since most everyone goes ashore.   Depending on the day there were lectures (historian, astronomer, military historian, adventurer), movies, port talks, bridge lessons, dance lessons, tastings (wine, whiskey, martini), scarf tying, craft people gatherings, knitter gatherings, baggo challenge, yoga class, meditation session, jigsaw puzzle table, bridge tour, galley tour, Nordic Spa night, star gazing, sun gazing with solar telescope... Many things you must sign up for and are not advertized until you get the Daily.  Check with the Spa Desk for the yoga and meditation session schedule.  Check with them also for the Nordic Spa Nights (must sign up and $).  Check with Guest Services for the bridge or galley tours and sign up.  The astronomy shows are probably specific to the Jupiter and Orion which have the Planetarium dome.

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We have decided that some of the decision on when to hold special events may be tied to how many people are trying to eat in the Restaurant at about the same time.  If after a day or two they see tht everyone is trying to eat at the same time in the same place, they throw on an event to draw some folks to another venue. 

On the other hand, I can't imagine that these things aren't planned well in advance because they need to have the provisions on board.

Shore excursions.  If you have booked shore excursions though Viking, the trips are listed inside the bulletin.  Make sure you check your excursions vouchers closely.  There may be several times for the "same" excursions.  Also check if you need to bring the QuiteVox.

You can also find the dailey menus, and lectures though your TV screen.  Many of the lectures can be viewed on your cabin TV.

Enjoy your cruise.

14 hours ago, Strangford said:

If you search back to Jan 25 you will find a thread by Mibele 'In search of the Northern Lights Jan 10, 2020 - Daily Viking'.  You will find uploads of the dailies for that cruise.  I found them interesting reading.

Thank you for calling these out, they were great!