Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

57 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Sorry to tell you, but you better check. I just read that 2 ushers have tested positive and B-way will be closed temporarily. 

Yes, my wife came home and I was about to tell her that I saw that I saw on the CNN scroll that Broadway shows were closed. But before I could tell her, she told me because she looked it up.

And to make things worse, the people who we bought the tickets and bus ride to NYC from are telling me that their policy is no refunds; they will work to get the play another day. Very short sighted since we have bought other even more expensive trips from them, and now I am no longer interested in their services.

Edited by ontheweb
a spelling correction
  • Like 2

Our cruise for the summer is likely done, or maybe it'll all bounce back in two months, LOL.

Everything is shutting down, look at Norway just instituted.  

Window for containment was lost, all about mitigation and "flattening the curve."      

Flattening the curve will most certain impact the economy as everything is shut down, at least we all save a little money and makes up for the blood bath in our retirement investments.

Edited by chipmaster

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Our Princess cruise is canned, some other lines have done similar and I expect others will follow suit (especially those in the CCL group).  The cruise line made the decision not the Government.

Sorry that you will miss your cruise - hopefully you will be give flexible and generous terms for re-booking, and that you have not incurred related costs like travel to port, hotels, etc.

Still, I think cancellation of unnecessary  travel and  large congregating is important in at least holding down rapid spread which could overwhelm health care capability. 

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks for the birthday wishes. And Happy Birthday right back at you.

After our birthday wishes to one another, I see Broadway is closing for a month!!!!

1 hour ago, Lois R said:
1 hour ago, Lois R said:

After our birthday wishes to one another, I see Broadway is closing for a month!!!!

And now I have only 2 weeks to come up with a birthday present for her.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry that you will miss your cruise - hopefully you will be give flexible and generous terms for re-booking, and that you have not incurred related costs like travel to port, hotels, etc.

Cheers,  we opted for the FCC instead of the refund. Other travel plans, hotels, flights, etc still need to be cancelled or rearranged.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers,  we opted for the FCC instead of the refund. Other travel plans, hotels, flights, etc still need to be cancelled or rearranged.

We were due to fly to Florida for our annual late winter break. The airline will give credit for paid fare for next flight if booked within six months- where we stay will only give credit on our deposit if used within 2020 - really only needed during winter months, so will have to think on it.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not yet canceled our cruise but it is hard to look forward right now. Yesterday my daughter found out she won't go back to work tentatively until April 27th.  Georgia's governor has ordered schools to stay closed until then. Now she wonders if school will reopen before August.

Our county has been on shut down since Wednesday. Of course I feared this would happen. The first person diagnosed in Georgia who was diagnosed after returning from Milan Italy February 24th, lived in Fulton county. Our county (Douglas) borders Fulton. The Fulton county line is only 4 miles form our house. They say our hospital ICU is completely full which is why the shutdown was ordered.

Anyway they know around here the corona virus came directly  from Milan, Italy.

3 hours ago, momofmeg said:

We have not yet canceled our cruise but it is hard to look forward right now. Yesterday my daughter found out she won't go back to work tentatively until April 27th.  Georgia's governor has ordered schools to stay closed until then. Now she wonders if school will reopen before August.

Our county has been on shut down since Wednesday. Of course I feared this would happen. The first person diagnosed in Georgia who was diagnosed after returning from Milan Italy February 24th, lived in Fulton county. Our county (Douglas) borders Fulton. The Fulton county line is only 4 miles form our house. They say our hospital ICU is completely full which is why the shutdown was ordered.

Anyway they know around here the corona virus came directly  from Milan, Italy.

Yes, this situation is full of uncertainty is exhausting and destroys all the plans, I agree. Also, this abundance of news on TV and on the Internet drives into a state of anxiety. And what about hospitals... I have a lot of friends who say that many hospitals are full, there aren't enough places in the wards and so on... But is it worth believing?

On 3/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, Ava79 said:

Yes, this situation is full of uncertainty is exhausting and destroys all the plans, I agree. Also, this abundance of news on TV and on the Internet drives into a state of anxiety. And what about hospitals... I have a lot of friends who say that many hospitals are full, there aren't enough places in the wards and so on... But is it worth believing?

I can only say  about my local  county hospital, there the  ICU is full and I  do know  one person  there  (friend of a friend) fighting for her life there right now because of COVID-19. Which she did not get by cruise ship BTW.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:50 AM, Aquahound said:

It's interesting, knowing what we know now, to go back and read through this thread again.  

After seeing your post, I went back to the beginning and re-read this thread.  Indeed surreal. 

Many of us in the PNW and Washington State especially were perhaps more aware of the situation earlier than others.  I first became keenly aware on January 21, 2020 when the first case in the US showed up in Washington State.  Suddenly, "over there" became right at our front door.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:50 AM, Aquahound said:

It's interesting, knowing what we know now, to go back and read through this thread again.  

And to think the first post was only in February😱. It is interesting just looking back at my own posts, even I drastically underestimated this virus😷.

19 hours ago, momofmeg said:

I can only say  about my local  county hospital, there the  ICU is full and I  do know  one person  there  (friend of a friend) fighting for her life there right now because of COVID-19. Which she did not get by cruise ship BTW.

How sad it is... I wish your friend a speedy recovery and let everything be fine! Unfortunately, the virus can now be obtained anywhere.

As for the news, it's already kind of scary to watch and listen to all this, it's really scary. But we need to be informed and not believe in delusional rumors

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yup, cutting off travel from China doesn't seem so racist now, does it.

I never heard anyone say that banning people who travelled from China was racist. It was the ban on people with Chinese passports that people thought was wrong and quite rightly has it had no bearing on your travel history. Besides if you go by Singapore's logic focusing only on people travelling from China was another of the West's big mistakes🤔. We have a lot ot learn from the countries who are fighting this infection much better than our countries.

• Like 2

@ilikeanswers Thank you for going to the trouble to point out the true issue that was discussed.

@Toofarfromthesea The thread where the issue of racism was strongly contended was, I believe, deleted. That thread was started by someone who (IIRC) had a friend who could not travel into some country because she had a Chinese passport. The OP asked if people thought it was racist. It was not discussed in this thread in the same fashion, and I hope we can let it drop so this thread can survive. 

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well our cruise was cancelled. I wish we could have gone but  I was afraidd if one person got sick after we sailed then no port would let us dock and we would be circling the Caribbean for who knows how long. So I see why the cruise line had no choice but to cancel.

We went ahead and took the refund as it just does not seem feasible right now to to try to plan a cruise this fall or winter. (we already had a cruise booked for  summer 2021. I HOPE this is all over by then.) That is what we wanted to do. The good thing is Travel guard issued us a credit for our insurance to use at a future date. They understood why we felt we could not plan anything right now.

• Like 1