Luggage weight?

frogerina

I know 50 pounds is the limit for flying on my airline...but does Carnival care if a bag (that is within their size dimensions) is a few pounds over...like 53?  Starting my packing, and would rather move things from a carryon I'll leave behind to my one suitcase...

Edited by frogerina

From Carnival's website:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  "

The operative term is "should not weigh". It doesn't say prohibited or not allowed. I would take that as a suggestion, not rule or regulation. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

From Carnival's website:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case ]

should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat,

bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide

(the length of the bag is not a factor).

Those ^ dimensions, I should imagine, because bags go thru a scanner?

of an aperture a bit larger than 16 x 24.

Notice the length of the bag isn't important..........

Don't overdo the weight!

Some poor bugger has to lift it up and down, up and down

before it ends up outside your cabin door.

I've seen some crew looking Exhausted! on embarkation day

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

From Carnival's website:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  "

The operative term is "should not weigh". It doesn't say prohibited or not allowed. I would take that as a suggestion, not rule or regulation. 

The porter doesn't weigh it, so it is going on.  Very similar to there isn't a true limit to the number of bags, but they do have a recommendation (1-2 depending on the length of cruise if memory serves).  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, frogerina said:

I know 50 pounds is the limit for flying on my airline...but does Carnival care if a bag (that is within their size dimensions) is a few pounds over...like 53?  Starting my packing, and would rather move things from a carryon I'll leave behind to my one suitcase...

There is only one cruise line that does weigh your luggage and the is Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line. If it is over weight you are charged extra.

"Each guest is permitted two pieces of complimentary luggage, not to exceed 50 pounds per piece. For excess and overweight luggage, a $25 fee per bag will be automatically charged to your onboard account. All luggage must be stored in the passenger's stateroom." 

Here is the information you were looking for Carnival.

"Carnival encourages guests to bring no more than two checked items, with each suitcase weighing no more than 50 pounds and measuring no more than 16 inches by 24 inches by 30 inchesCarry-on luggage should be 24 inches by 16 inches." 

I try to be considerate of those who have to handle and inspect my bags, but I have never seen the port employees bat an eye for what appears to be overweight or "excessive" number of suitcases.  Also, at least a couple of times every cruise, I see luggage that does not fit through the scanner and is inspected by hand.

Yes, it does slow things down a little, but I have never witnessed a passenger being chastised for not following the guidelines.  The look from other passengers, though.....

WE use two carry on's even for 11 day cruises. We know haw to pack and wear some cloths for 2 maybe three days. Different shorts with different colored shirts each day. Dress clothes for cruise elegant. Only one set. If we use up some of it that is soiled. We send it to have it cleaned. I really have no idea why two people have 4 suit cases or two super sized, two back packs and something over their shoulder. Last cruise the wife and the husband did self assist. It was a joke. Both had two suitcases on wheels. Both had one super size and a smaller one with back packs. No way could they control them going down the ramps . How much do you need to pack for a 7 day cruise? 🙄

Well, I will be different!  I am a chronic over-packer, I know it and embrace it (and we drive)!  My luggage is plentiful and heavy.  However, I figure if this 58 year old woman can lift it, then it is good.  😂  I have never measured or weighed it.  As for storage, each piece stores into the next size piece and it all fits easily under the bed and is not at all a problem. 

Basically, if you can lift it you shouldn't need to worry about the weight.  Don't worry about room as there is plenty of room under the bed.  Don't go nuts (even I don't go too crazy), but you don't have to try and cram everything into a couple of carry-ons.  And, I have to say that I am truly impressed by those that can.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

WE use two carry on's even for 11 day cruises. We know haw to pack and wear some cloths for 2 maybe three days. Different shorts with different colored shirts each day. Dress clothes for cruise elegant. Only one set. If we use up some of it that is soiled. We send it to have it cleaned. I really have no idea why two people have 4 suit cases or two super sized, two back packs and something over their shoulder. Last cruise the wife and the husband did self assist. It was a joke. Both had two suitcases on wheels. Both had one super size and a smaller one with back packs. No way could they control them going down the ramps . How much do you need to pack for a 7 day cruise? 🙄

My wife has been known to leave a few clothes at home.

I'd never try to tell people how to pack for their own cruise and I'd never come here to insult anyone for packing a lot. It's ridiculous how worked up some people get just because others pack more than they do. The best advice I can give anyone about packing is, take whatever you want. You'll learn pretty quick, probably after a single cruise, what you needed and didn't need. Then next time you can adjust, if necessary. In many ways, packing for a cruise is a lot like packing for any other vacation. You pack according to the time you're away, the weather, and your activities. Pack clothes for certain food venues that you probably don't experience at home. Things like that. It really isn't much different. My packing style isn't going to work for everyone, so it'd be unreasonable to think my way is better. Me personally, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I take a certain suitcase on a cruise and if I have the space in it, I'm going to use it. I'm the first to admit I often take more than I need. How does that affect anyone else? If I want to take a larger suitcase, so be it, it's not bothering you. Someone brought up space in the cabin. We have three large suitcases (if our son is staying in our cabin), plus a couple backpacks. Everything fits under the beds with room to spare. There are no issues with room to walk around.

• Like 4

No problem with space in the cabin AS LONG as your suitcases fit under the bed. If not, you are screwed.  Unless you have a fat suitcase will not be a problem. Unfortunately, a few people find their huge bags do not work on ships.

To paraphrase dozens of posts......some of the best advice ever offered here......layout what you want to take. Put half of it back as you will not wear it.

Place your money out, which will not be enough, and double it. 

I ignore the above to this day, but when I get home, know that I should have heeded the advice. 

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

No problem with space in the cabin AS LONG as your suitcases fit under the bed. If not, you are screwed.  Unless you have a fat suitcase will not be a problem. Unfortunately, a few people find their huge bags do not work on ships.

Our suitcases are 28" or 29" pieces of luggage. They're some of the largest suitcases out there and they fit under the beds just fine. Besides, I don't think too many people go on their cruise with the thought of having a whole heck of a lot of empty space in a cruise ship cabin. Especially those of us who stay in Interior cabins. We don't go on cruises for widely open floor plans in our cabin.

To paraphrase dozens of posts......some of the best advice ever offered here......layout what you want to take. Put half of it back as you will not wear it.

I ignore the above to this day, but when I get home, know that I should have heeded the advice.

I know this is very common advice on this forum, but the fact of the matter is, it always comes from people who have been cruising for some time. They've come to learn what they use and what they can go without. In my opinion, it's terrible advice. The worst advice you can give someone who's new to cruising. This is one of those things where people have to figure out what works best for them. I said it in an earlier post, packing for a cruise isn't much different than packing for other vacations.

It "will not be enough." According to who? Some of us are capable of controlling our spending on vacation. We don't need to "double it" and what we take is enough. Sure, people like to splurge on vacation, but that's something different altogether.

In the end, there are certain aspects of a cruise that can't be answered with a one size fits all, "do it this way" statement. Things that are different depending on the person. Whether it's packing or spending money, I believe people are capable of managing their own lives enough that they'll figure out how to best handle their cruise, but things like that take a little experience.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Organized Chaos expressed most of my issues with this advice (which is nails on a chalkboard whenever I see it), but just as you ignore it and wish you didn't I'll add my two cents and wish I hadn't 😉 

Our first cruise wasn't the first time we traveled.  I generally know what to pack for a vacation and I rarely return home with unworn clothes.  If I followed the "put half of it back" advice I would need to do laundry half-way through my cruise, no thank you.

Cruise ships are supposed to be cashless - everything goes on the shipboard account.  Very few people travel only with cash and have a credit card on file or at least packed for emergencies.  Even on shore many post they use their credit card for everything, so again little need for cash.  I do agree that some cash should be packed (not all vendors take credit, cash for tips), but if $500 (an example) should cover anticipated expenses and small emergencies is there really a need to take $1000 cash?  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Cruise ships are supposed to be cashless - everything goes on the shipboard account.  Very few people travel only with cash and have a credit card on file or at least packed for emergencies.  Even on shore many post they use their credit card for everything, so again little need for cash.  I do agree that some cash should be packed (not all vendors take credit, cash for tips), but if $500 (an example) should cover anticipated expenses and small emergencies is there really a need to take $1000 cash?  

On our cruise on the Dream last July, being our first cruise, it was a 5 day, not knowing what we were doing, we took $800 in cash. WAYYYYY to much. We used our cc several time while in port, but bought some souvenirs with cash. When we got home I deposited the balance what we took with us. It was $450. This next cruise is a 7 day on the Freedom, and we've decided to take $600 with us. I think it will be more than enough.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe817 said:

On our cruise on the Dream last July, being our first cruise, it was a 5 day, not knowing what we were doing, we took $800 in cash. WAYYYYY to much. We used our cc several time while in port, but bought some souvenirs with cash. When we got home I deposited the balance what we took with us. It was $450. This next cruise is a 7 day on the Freedom, and we've decided to take $600 with us. I think it will be more than enough.  

As responsible adults, we're capable of making adjustments and managing the money we choose to bring. If someone wants a souvenir and is running low on money, the solution isn't necessarily to have brought twice as much money. Instead, they could choose to skip a few drinks, for example, and buy the souvenir. I'm not saying people shouldn't splurge on their vacations, but if they need to take twice as much money because they can't control themselves, that's a problem. As far as packing advice goes, the same people who repeatedly tell others to pack half as many clothes are the same ones who complain about shorts & T-shirts in the MDR. Well, that's what you get when people follow your advice and leave half their outfits at home. 😆

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

As responsible adults, we're capable of making adjustments and managing the money we choose to bring. If someone wants a souvenir and is running low on money, the solution isn't necessarily to have brought twice as much money. Instead, they could choose to skip a few drinks, for example, and buy the souvenir. I'm not saying people shouldn't splurge on their vacations, but if they need to take twice as much money because they can't control themselves, that's a problem. As far as packing advice goes, the same people who repeatedly tell others to pack half as many clothes are the same ones who complain about shorts & T-shirts in the MDR. Well, that's what you get when people follow your advice and leave half their outfits at home. 😆

True dat. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your thoughts.  I ended up with a small suitcase that was "land clothing" left at the friend's home where we slept before and after the cruise (also my winter coat...as I come from the Midwest).  We three had one largish-suitcase each, and a backpack.  Suitcases fit under the bed, clothing in the closet.  I did have some pieces that I creatively wore more than once (I mean -- when you have a fully sequined jacket for Mardi Gras...it also goes well with an 80's party and fun for formal dinner!)  I had 1 shirt I didn't wear.  No overweight fees with the airline coming or going, and I spent about 80 bucks total on souvenirs and gifts.   Now my luggage and I are trying to figure out when we can cruise again....

• Like 1