Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
SmoothFlying

We (PARTY OF 3) have booked airfare R/T to SFO

I started to buy a package deal (cruise/airfare) but kept reading reviews that most cruise lines only buy so many seats and IF they sell more than they've bought, well..😲 Some poor soul might get 'bumped'. So I decided to lessen those odds by buying it directly from the airline. I know(having worked for the airlines for 30 years there is still a chance of being bumped because most al of them over sale seats. I was wondering if it's possible to buy insurance to cover the $500 ticket (refundable was $750) each of us has spent. I don't anticipate a situation where we won't make the flight but..? Also I noticed on the CC website that this airline has its own insurance but saw where someone said it is very expensive. Just curious

Mac 

Hi SmoothFlying, sounds like you are a flying pro! Many of our cruising customers do book their own flights and then buy travel insurance. I'd recommend putting the entire amount down for your cruise and flights (prepaid, nonrefundable expenses) during a quote and see what a general travel insurance plan would run you --- you may be surprised by the affordability. You certainly can just insure a portion of your trip but do be aware that you must insure 100% of your prepaid nonrefundable expenses to be eligible for certain benefits. If you want some plan recommendations feel free to email me direct at news@insuremytrip.com.

Airlines typically offer some type of "protection" plan but it doesn't offer the same coverage as travel insurance.