Cruise Critic Community
nich3cats

Classic to premium

If I have classic drink package as one of my perks but want the premium package should I upgrade online prior to cruise or wait until I am onboard the ship?

If you get a sale I would upgrade before hand, very rare but does happen,  otherwise do it onboard, with a bartender/wine steward and you would probably get great service from them for the remainder of the cruise.  

I got lucky on my cruises with upgade, wasnt showing in the CP but I had a question on something else and also asked about the drink package and it was on a promotion buy one get one free.  Never seen it show in the cruise planner on sale.  

As Bikerunner said, buy the upgrade onboard and the person (bartender or server) you buy it from gets the tip. If you wait a day or two, you only pay for the remaining days.

On our first Celebrity cruise I chose the Classic package and figured I would see how it goes.  On day 3 of a 10 day cruise I decided it was worth the extra $ to upgrade based on the beer selection alone.  As other's have said, the bartender who I had do the upgrade was VERY appreciative and took care of me VERY well for the rest of the cruise.