Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
gold

Serenade to Alaska- Things to do on cruising days

Recommendations on what to do on cruising days. We are used to cruising to the Caribbean so going to the pool would be our obvious choice. whats the options on a colder climate?

15 minutes ago, gold said:

Recommendations on what to do on cruising days. We are used to cruising to the Caribbean so going to the pool would be our obvious choice. whats the options on a colder climate?

Going to the pool is still an option since Serenade has a covered Solarium.  On cruising days on our Alaska cruise we spent the time watching the scenery go by and looking for wildlife.

There will be the regular trivia and other cruise director staff organized activities.  

When I'm in Alaska I tend to ignore ship entertainment.  I'm there for Alaska and I soak in every Alaskan moment.

We spent so much time on our balcony or at the top deck at the pool just enjoying the scenery.

They have lecturers on board who do presentations on Alaskan history and culture that were really interesting.

When we were on Radiance in Alaska this summer, there were really only 2 days without ports.  One was cruising Hubbard Glacier so that was the entertainment in the afternoon.  In the morning we had the Meet in Mingle and a trivia game.  On the last cruising day, we did the galley tour and brunch and loved it.  Otherwise we relaxed and watched the scenery and looked for whales and eagles.

Thanks- So I'm assuming you cannot get bored by looking out at all the scenery all day?

15 minutes ago, gold said:

Thanks- So I'm assuming you cannot get bored by looking out at all the scenery all day?

No one can tell you whether you will be bored with the scenery or not.  If it is not your thing, go to trivia, swim in the Solarium or watch a movie.  You are not likely to see all the pool games as you do on a Caribbean cruise.  It is much more of a relaxed cruise with an older crowd and less families.

29 minutes ago, gold said:

I can't get bored! It's beautiful, whether it's sunny, rainy or foggy. We did sit in the solarium at times, we went to the movies, we went to the enrichment lectures, listened to live music around the ship, took naps, drank alcohol (or drank, then napped) enjoyed a leisurely lunch..

Its a complete different scene to Caribbean cruises. Yes the solarium pool is covered but there are no pool activities like mens sexy leg completions and biggest belly flop etc.

Its more about the scenery. When we stopped at hubbard Glacier the crew launched their little power boat and went to collect some ice that broke off. They then brought it aboard and made cocktails with the ice saying the ice in your drink is hundreds of years old and the the drink will keep you young . LOL. It was a nice touch. 

I guide from one of the small towns also came aboard and talked about their life and history of their village. 

Alaska is a totally different type of cruise.  The entertainment is scenery and wildlife.  Only problem is the wildlife tends to show up on the opposite side of the ship from where we are.