Embarkation Day Lunch

Guindalf

Generally it is the dinning room that is used for anytime dinning.  The past few cruises that dinning venue was not listed on the paper that they handed you at the port for dinning options.  It should open around noon and if you cannot find the restaurant that is open, you may need to ask more than one person which sit-down dinning room is open.

58 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Is there an alternative to the buffet for lunch on Embarkation Day?

We are on Emerald to Alaska in May if it makes a difference.

Hi, we are sailing on your cruise!

Yes, there is always a dining room open--as soon as we board the ship we always ask which one is open.  The other option is the International Café -- less hectic than the buffet and perfect for a lighter meal.  Sandwiches, salads, and lovely "goodies".  One of our favorite spots.  You can get your brewed or specialty coffees and tea there as well.

Edited by Cruzinnana47
  • Like 1

Nearly always one dining room is open for lunch, although if you ask, staff will direct you to the buffet. I don't know why they do that.

The back page of the Princess Patter will show which restaurant is open. I have found that it is the one that is open for lunch on sea days.

Edited by Aus Traveller

If you need to bring your carry on with you into the dining room, they will help you put the items in a near by area to keep it from being under foot.

We always go to the dining room on embarkation. It is the only way to get the I am relaxed and on vacation feeling started.

• Like 2

We always go to the MDR for lunch when we board.  It normally is at one of the midship MDR but have seen it at the aft MDR on deck 6.  If you ask a crew member most likely they will deny that any MDR is open for lunch.  It will be open from 12:00 noon to 1:30 PM.   There is always the IC on deck 5 and pizzeria and grill on the lido deck by the main pool. 

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Generally open noon until 1.30.... enjoy

Cheers Don

Therein lies the rub. Many won't make it aboard in time for MDR lunch on embarkation day. If we are on the ship early enough we always eat in MDR. If it's pushing the time limit we don't go as we don't like to cause the staff hassle. Showing up at 1:20 isn't really a good thing.

13 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Is there an alternative to the buffet for lunch on Embarkation Day?

We are on Emerald to Alaska in May if it makes a difference.

Where are you embarking? And if Whittier, are you doing a land tour first? If so, you probably won't arrive until later afternoon. 

• Thanks 1

Embarking in Vancouver and disembarking in Seattle. After being thrown out of our hotel, we should be early enough to make it!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This seems to be something that varies considerably between cruise lines. NCL has a dining room open but Celebrity does not unless you're in Concierge class.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

here is a duh question, 

in the posts it is common for one to write something like in this post "The back page of the Princess Patter will show which restaurant is open". where do you get this patter? isn't that in the room laying on the bed. usually we eat before we are in the room. 

I think maybe you can obtain the Patters at Guest Service?  Who knows. I agree with your sentiment however. I wouldn't think to go looking for a Patters prior to arriving at my cabin and I wouldn't be in my cabin before lunch.

• Like 1

If you can find Patters for a recent cruise on the same ship (usually someone will post them here) that will usually tell you which dining room is open for lunch.  In my experience most of the time it's one of the two midship dining rooms, and if they're not open yet just look for the one that has the lunch menu posted on the wall outside.

I have a link to some Platters from when I posted asking about cruising with Princess (this is our 20th, but first with this line!). A check on it shows that lunch is served in the Botticelli MDR from 12-1:30pm.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oh, and one more thing...

Coke or Pepsi?

What about room service. And also, is there not an International Cafe on the Emerald. Gosh, it has been years since we sailed her. Do not remember.   But a light lunch via those avenues would work for us  We like to sit on our balcony and watch all the activity at the port while we eat our first lunch.  I find lunch in the dining room tedious.  Takes forever and a day to be served.  

I know this will sound totally pedestrian, but we usually head to the Lido deck and get a burger/fries at the Trident Grill/Salty Dog Grill right after boarding.  We then grab a table and watch the world go by.  We used to do this after dropping off our carry-ons in our cabin, but the last few times the cabins have not been available until about 1:00.  So, we just monopolize our table with our carry-ons at our feet, have a couple more ice teas and wait for the announcement that cabins are available.

😁