Just back from Thailand

diesel1973

Just back from a 15 day land tour of Thailand. Didn't see many masks and the crowds were absent as the Chinese were not present. Went to Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and Mynamar  Was originally scheduled to lay over in Shangai both ways but changed to layovers in Munich and Vienna. What a very interesting and fun trip. Almost backed out when the virus hit but glad I didn't. Not only were there no crowds but the flights were half full resulting in being able to stretch out during those long flights. Now my family has me in quarantine and are treating me like a leper!

• Like 3

Thanks.  That's good to know, as I've been reading of a few cruises to Bali and other places in Asia where people or cruise lines are canceling.  I returned Jan. 20 from Bali/Australia/NZ, with plane connections in Hong Kong, where all the airport people were wearing masks.  I have to admit I was very happy when it had been fourteen days after I was in Hong Kong.  I also was very grateful we had no problems due to corona or any other virus.  Itinerary changes due to bush fires, smoke, and weather, yes.  Illness or quarantine, no. 

I would love to go to Thailand, but after being in Bali for 3 days and getting to places handpicked by me and facilitated by a wonderful driver, I think I probably got a small taste of what Thailand MIGHT be like.  Traveling can be a challenge sometimes, but it's so, so rewarding.

I'm finally getting my sleeping schedule back to normal. I go to Alaska for 6 weeks every summer and have no problem with sleep. I guess the difference of 3 hrs, time difference and 13 hrs. has a big affect. Will be going to central Europe in the fall after my Alaska trip so I will really be messed up!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 5:11 AM, diesel1973 said:

Just back from a 15 day land tour of Thailand. Didn't see many masks and the crowds were absent as the Chinese were not present. Went to Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and Mynamar  Was originally scheduled to lay over in Shangai both ways but changed to layovers in Munich and Vienna. What a very interesting and fun trip. Almost backed out when the virus hit but glad I didn't. Not only were there no crowds but the flights were half full resulting in being able to stretch out during those long flights. Now my family has me in quarantine and are treating me like a leper!

Hi diesel,

We are seeking cruise reviews from recently returned cruisers, have you submitted your cruise review yet? Recent reviews from fellow cruisers are among the most trusted sources of information that our members rely upon, and in the current environment, your experience would be particularly interesting to our members.

If you feel inspired, we'd be grateful to you for sharing a review of your recent cruise experience in Thailand. You can start writing your cruise review right here

We hope you and yours, and everyone in our cruise critic community are safe and well. Do the 20 second hand wash and do it often 😉 🙌

Edited by Host Bonjour

25 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Hi diesel,

We are seeking cruise reviews from recently returned cruisers, have you submitted your cruise review yet? Recent reviews from fellow cruisers are among the most trusted sources of information that our members rely upon, and in the current environment, your experience would be particularly interesting to our members.

If you feel inspired, we'd be grateful to you for sharing a review of your recent cruise experience in Thailand. You can start writing your cruise review right here

We hope you and yours, and everyone in our cruise critic community are safe and well. Do the 20 second hand wash and do it often 😉 🙌

I would but as stated I did a land tour , not a cruise. I am taking a break in cruising and doing land tours in some of the countrys  I find interesting, and it certainly was. Now we have decided to roll the boulder in front of our cave and hunker down till this mess passes. Happy cruising!

On 3/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, diesel1973 said:

I would but as stated I did a land tour , not a cruise. I am taking a break in cruising and doing land tours in some of the countrys  I find interesting, and it certainly was. Now we have decided to roll the boulder in front of our cave and hunker down till this mess passes. Happy cruising!

Oh yes, you did!! I was a bit bleary eyed last night, thank you for the reminder and I'm still so happy you posted because the information is absolutely wonderful for everyone to have, since of course so many people plan pre-post cruise journeys. We see lots of posts by cruisers who decide to choose land trips because it gets to be time to explore in greater detail these countries they have so far only seen on shorter port visits. 

You're welcome to write one anyway, start off maybe with a history of the cruising that first got you interested in Thailand/Asia and maybe if you are planning a future Asia cruise (I know it could be awhile!) This is why we have port boards, to help our members plan for what they will do in port stops, and possibly for before or after cruises, or on future land journeys if they are not yet ready to take time off of the boat–your point of view would be helpful to others who might be thinking of doing the same thing you just did!

No pressure, it's totally up to you. You may even win a bit of Cruise Critic logo swag, which I have to say, with our new look and design, is pretty sleek and cool. You never know. 🙂

We have experienced many cruises in various parts of the world.  We enjoy cruising.

After spending five winters travelling in Thailand, Vietnam, and Malaysia we were never able to pick up a cruise that appealed to us.   Partly because of the ports, partly because of the distances to the major sights from those ports and the time that it takes to cover them. 

At some point we probably try a Japan centric cruise.  But, we came to the conclusion that if one really wants to see Thailand a cruise is not the best way to accomplish this.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. I have done many cruises and have done a fair amount of land tours. One difference is that when on a cruise you can tour at your own pace. On land tours  sometimes the schedule is very hectic but you end up seeing much more. Have done land tours from 2-3 weeks at a time and sometimes I couldn't wait to get home to rest!

• Thanks 1