Coronavirus

Thought it was worth a try, Tui are holding fast on cancellations/refunds reading their twitter pages and plan to allow holidays to Italy after the quarantine period on 3rd April. 

As you can imagine they're not many kind words there.  Sometimes though companies buckle under bad social media exposure.

A month to go until my Cruise so anything can happen.

I already have £200 obc  because they cancelled 2 ports in Egypt so don't want anymore obc,

Israel looks like a no go port and Cyprus are starting to impose restrictions, we have a 7 night stay 

after our cruise so not looking good for us, probably be sailing around the med for couple of weeks. 

We don’t sail until July but the balance has to be paid next month. I am hoping they will decide that they will allow us to postpone/change our holiday as we do not fancy cruising to places we have seen/don’t particularly want to see if they alter the itinerary . We currently have two ports in Italy among others, followed by a week in Majorca. If push comes to shove, I will take a hit on the deposit. No sign of them cancelling any cruises apart from Asia, as yet.

Edited by shot2bits
Typo

I will try to find where I saw this but I believe if more than two ports are change that constitutes a significant change to the holiday and (in the UK) at least you are entitled to a refund and not a credit hence why Celebrity had to refund everyone for cancelled cruises in South East Asia. They first offered future cruise credits. Oh and yes I was booked on a South East Asia cruise with Celebrity and have been refunded. 

Went in to my local TUI office this morning....all 4 ladies sitting there with nothing much to do! Asked them about what their policy was if a) departure port is changed (thus necessitating us to pay for new flights) and b) if 3 of our 5 ports are cancelled. They said there was no set policy! Also said that they have been advised that all cruises after 3 April should go ahead unchanged as they anticipate Italy restrictions being lifted by then! So hopefully we will be ok for May and just have to hope the flights are still going. 

I'm no nearer finding out what's happening to the 1st April departure. I mentioned that Israel is on lockdown and with that being the only reason I booked the cruise not one of the sales staff would entertain my feeling of being short changed and wanting a refund.

This was to be a taster of Marella but you only get one chance of making a good first impression and they've failed miserably.

1 hour ago, shot2bits said:

We don’t sail until July but the balance has to be paid next month.

Ours is due this week and as I have posted earlier our TA is allowing us an extra two weeks before final payment and also we can book a future cruise and transfer all monies paid for a £50pp cost. 🙄

The Italian country lockdown is in place until 3rd April? but don't count on it!. Even if Italy is over the worst by then it would be a daft idea to open the country to 'foreigners' who might just re introduce the virus. Remember nobody has any resistance except those who have had the disease. P&O have announced various measures for cruises departing before September and I would think Marella would be wise to as well.

Helengp  I am aware that some Marella cruisers do book separate flights as I've said on another post aiming at the Canadians but they are few and far between. 

My sister who knows Barbados well has booked 4 nights there flying next week with Virgin Atlantic then cruises on Explorer 2 for a week followed by 3 nights in Barbados before flying home But most Marella cruisers prefer the safety of a flight/cruise/stay as a package through TUI unlike cruisers who are used to arranging their own flights and cruising other lines

I personally prefer a mostly British cruise as other countries cruisers ironically usually the Italians do not like queuing especially at the buffet and can be very rude pushing in at queues Nor do I wanted to be dodging wheelchairs all the time Having seen the number of Americans piling off American ships squashed into wheelchairs in the Caribbean it has put me totally off Nor do I want to be on ship with 5000 passengers I'm sure plenty enjoy their other cruise lines but that's why Marella suits us

Thomson Spirit           Oct/Nov 2005  Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh  

Thomson Celebration   Jan 2007  Red Sea Magic 

Ocean Village             Feb 2008  Western Caribbean & Central America 

Ocean Village             Aug 2008  Eastern Med 

Ocean Village 2          Feb 2009  Eastern Caribbean  

Ocean Village             Mar 2010  Eastern Caribbean 

Thomson Dream         Feb 2011  Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration  Aug 2011  Eastern Med  

Thomson Celebration  Apr 2012  Red Sea Magic  

Thomson Celebration  Apr/May 2012  Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream         Feb 2013  EasternCaribbean  

Thomson Majesty        Nov/Dec 2014  Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream          Jan/Feb 2015  Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba  

Thomson Dream         Apr 2015  Transatlantic Sunset 

Thomson Majesty       June 2015  Hellenic Classics 

Thomson Celebration   Sept 2015  Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream          Jan 2016  Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream          April 2016  Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream           June 2016  Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration    Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream            April2017  Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Spirit              June 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty         Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Marella Celebration         Jan 2018  Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2         April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2          April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream                 May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2         June 2018 Aegean Meze

Marella Dream                  Sept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

Marella Celebration          April 2019 Caribbean Dreams

Marella Celebration          April/May 2019 Atlantic Quest

Marella Discovery            June 2019 Adriatic Explorer

Marella Dream                  Dec 2019 Ancient Affair

Marella Discovery             April 2020 Golden Cities and Sands

Marella Discovery             April 2020 Red Sea Experience

Marella Dream.                  June 2020  Hidden Gems

Marella Explorer               Sept 2020 Adriatic Explorer

Marella Discovery             April 2021 Secret Shores

Marella Discovery             April 2021 Sunshine & Jazz

2 hours ago, shot2bits said:

Yes, I understand that. Trouble is it could be all over by July , or not! I don’t think I am willing to gamble. I’ll hang back for a couple weeks and see how it pans out.

Well we've run out of time for our cruise - the 70 day limit when I can cancel and only lose the deposit runs out tomorrow.  So we've jumped and have cancelled.

<boo-hoo> 

If it all gets sorted soon, then I might rebook it, but I doubt things will be clear in that timescale.  

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

WHO now declared pandemic 😞

Well it was always going to be one (given the number of cases in china before any action). Essentially, it will run its course until the majority of people  have been exposed to it and have developed immunity.

8 minutes ago, bluewater2111 said:

Sorry to be a bit thick here but why does a pandemic affect our insurance? Checked on Barclays FAQ but can't see anything about this?

Due to go to Barbados a week on Sunday, who knows what could change in a 10 days ....

Think it depends what your insurance covers, we have Nationwide Flex Plus annual and it covers full costs if a pandemic is declared within 28days of travel. 

4 hours ago, PJ's said:

I notice that P&O have released new cancellation terms. Everyone seems very pleased with what they have put in place if passengers want to cancel their cruise from now until end of August 2020.

Yep, I've signed up to get mail from P & O, Costa, Marella, Fred Olsen, Cruise & Maritime. Today's mail shot from Fred Olsen said :-

"What’s more, if you book your 2020 cruise today, you’ll be covered by our “Booking Reassurance Guarantee”. You can cancel your booking with no penalty and move any money paid to a different cruise (within the same year). You just need to let us know no later than 2 weeks before you are due to travel."

I'd prefer to see "Within 12 months" rather than"(with in same year)" but it's a step in the right direction.

Well, it’s not looking good is it? I have Barclays insurance, I’ll ring them tomorrow as I seem to remember something in the T&Cs about a pandemic. However, I just know I will be 500 big ones out of pocket, but worth every penny if I don’t croak!!! Don’t fancy cruising with 1500 plus other people, some with suspect hygiene routines, sorry. Lots of respect to Marella obviously for the help from customer service. Not! Given that Ronaldo arrived in Madeira earlier and was instantly checked by medics in full suits and the uk just asks if you are ok, do you think the government think this might be an easy way to wipe out the elderly population and so release pressure on the NHS?

43 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

Well, it’s not looking good is it? I have Barclays insurance, I’ll ring them tomorrow as I seem to remember something in the T&Cs about a pandemic. However, I just know I will be 500 big ones out of pocket, but worth every penny if I don’t croak!!! Don’t fancy cruising with 1500 plus other people, some with suspect hygiene routines, sorry. Lots of respect to Marella obviously for the help from customer service. Not! Given that Ronaldo arrived in Madeira earlier and was instantly checked by medics in full suits and the uk just asks if you are ok, do you think the government think this might be an easy way to wipe out the elderly population and so release pressure on the NHS?

Found the policy it states this...

If one of the following events occurs or prevents you from travelling within seven days of your scheduled departure date: a. an avalanche, earthquake, explosion, fire, flood, landslide, storm or tsunami renders your pre-booked accommodation uninhabitable. b. your pre-booked holiday accommodation is directly affected by a food poisoning outbreak. c. the area in which you were due to stay is affected by pandemic or epidemic influenza. d. a Foreign and Commonwealth Office advisory notice against all travel or all but essential travel to your destination is still in place.

Within 7 days??? Am  I covered?