Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Went to TUI TA this morning as we are 70 and have been advised not to cruise (although our cruise hasn't been cancelled yet) got an immediate refund for 2 back to back cruises £5000+ We could also have had £400pp if we had rebooked as part of the cancellation but as we have booked on line for end of June, early September and next April we couldn't really book anything else as we don't know when we could go.

I had booked £300+ excursions but they couldn't help as I'd booked them on line. When I got home I had an email saying my excursions had been refunded.

When we went this morning the news that TUI  had cancelled all cruises, holidays and flights hadn't been released 

Absolutely gutted to not be going away but can't fault TUI AT ALL and at least I got more shares for my dividend due to the low price 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, from Tui rep on Twitter, April 5th cruise (not sure where that goes from) is still scheduled to go ahead.  That was about an half an hour ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jono75 said:

FYI, from Tui rep on Twitter, April 5th cruise (not sure where that goes from) is still scheduled to go ahead.  That was about an half an hour ago.

 Madness! What are they playing at? Don't they listen to the news?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vitalsign, your birthday celebrations sounded like a lot of fun. You were so very lucky with timing.

 

Trying to make lemonade from lemons, the remaining four of us had decided to stay in at our home for family dinner, cake and champagne.

 

Daughter phoned earlier today. Having sleepless nights thinking about bringing possible infection into our house as she was socialising in pubs and clubs at the weekend. In tears as she has decided to stay away to protect us. As she and another guest were making the cake, I have asked that they not make it as we are now only three persons-and this is only Monday.  By Thursday/Friday we may not even be three! We can try to do something when all this is over, whenever that may be.

 

This "special" birthday is definitely  "special" for all the wrong reasons!

 

And Mother's Day this Sunday will also be different from previous ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, edinburgher said:

Vitalsign, your birthday celebrations sounded like a lot of fun. You were so very lucky with timing.

 

Trying to make lemonade from lemons, the remaining four of us had decided to stay in at our home for family dinner, cake and champagne.

 

Daughter phoned earlier today. Having sleepless nights thinking about bringing possible infection into our house as she was socialising in pubs and clubs at the weekend. In tears as she has decided to stay away to protect us. As she and another guest were making the cake, I have asked that they not make it as we are now only three persons-and this is only Monday.  By Thursday/Friday we may not even be three! We can try to do something when all this is over, whenever that may be.

 

This "special" birthday is definitely  "special" for all the wrong reasons!

 

And Mother's Day this Sunday will also be different from previous ones.

Definately  a Unique birthday and Mother’s Day, but health come first.

 

Weve just made the decision to bring my Mum to ours for the foreseeable.  She’s been isolating herself in Sheffield for the last 9 days but couldn’t do that for three months so we are having her here so we can ensure she’s protected and we don’t really go anywhere apart from country walks around here so don’t mix with people as such and will be scrupulous about hygiene.  Her cat is coming too and will have it’s own bedroom, much better than a Cattery and Mum can spend time with her, helping each other.  
 

Strange times.  Cruising seems a distant memory and a fairytale ambition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not cruise related but my son ‘escaped’ Spain over the weekend, driving non stop overnight. They left a cat they had adopted over there ready to come to uk. Now Spain has shut down ‘La Gata’ is costing £10 a night until they can release her for the flight. I can’t see an end to this any time soon. Cruise companies, airlines, retail businesses, they are all very vulnerable. Dunno about you but on so many levels, I’m worried!


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edinburgher. So sorry your special event has been spoilt and your poor daughter is so worried about you

God forbid there won't be three of you by the end of the week Please keep safe, which I'm sure you will and think positive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KevinYork   That's great your Mum is coming to stay with you My mother who will be 93 in May, hopefully, will not move!!! She's not gone out except to the dentist for 2 years Yes she still has her own teeth and smokes 6 ciggies a day!!! As long as she can still read and watch TV she's happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

KevinYork   That's great your Mum is coming to stay with you My mother who will be 93 in May, hopefully, will not move!!! She's not gone out except to the dentist for 2 years Yes she still has her own teeth and smokes 6 ciggies a day!!! As long as she can still read and watch TV she's happy.

Strange to say but she’s probably safer than most of us given her fairly isolated situation.
 

I couldn’t trust my mum to stay isolated being at her home in Sheffield and with the number of visitors she gets, and hugs, and kisses,   Weird that today I’ve felt a bit chesty and warm.  Part of me wants me to get this thing and get over it then I can’t (hopefully) infect my Mum or diabetic hubby and can be there for them.  An expert on Woman’s hour on Radio 4 today said, we are all going to meet this virus which I found chilling.  If we are, I want it first and then can help hubby and .mum as best as I can.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin York...I agree, I want to get this thing and get it over and done with. Then I can go to work and help others without worrying about it. We are currently in France and now need a piece of paper stating our purpose to leave the house. Not sure what that will achieve as it’s easy to print off the form and tick the box....can go shopping, walks, walk dogs, go to Dr and so on but no social gatherings. People here are not happy! We have brought our return home forward a week as there’s not a lot we can do here...all the DIY shops are closed. So no decorating possible and hubby can’t get out on long cycle rides as he’d planned, so might as well be at home. Well, apart from the fact the sun is shining here 😁 

As you say, cruises seem a long way off.....still waiting to see what Marella do next about May cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They are still selling cruises from Malaga on the Dream for early April (after Spain's lock down is planned to finish), so I suspect you wont know about your May cruise any time soon. Tui appear reluctant to cancel anything if they can avoid it.

Edited by howmuch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

They are still selling cruises from Malaga on the Dream for early April (after Spain's lock down is planned to finish), so I suspect you wont know about your May cruise any time soon. Tui appear reluctant to cancel anything if they can avoid it.

 

3sx16o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw that too.

 

Should trigger a massive demand on cruise lines, holiday companies, airlines etc for refunds so refunds may take some time.

 

May or may not need to claim on travel insce.  I am not 100% clued up on that, no doubt others are and will hopefully advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise was cancelled last Friday and I got a full refund , money back already in my account so very pleased 

with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spoke to customer services, won't give me a refund. Due to sail on 31st March on Discovery 2 (round trip Jamaica), which was obvious wasn't going to sail when all the ports are closed to entry. Two weeks out, hadn't heard from them, just rang. Situation changing "minute by minute", "until we're briefed we've been told we can only rebook and not issue refunds". Don't want to rebook at the moment, the situation is too uncertain and I was taking kids with me who are tied by school holidays. Come on Tui, I expect better.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Saw that too.

 

Should trigger a massive demand on cruise lines, holiday companies, airlines etc for refunds so refunds may take some time.

 

May or may not need to claim on travel insce.  I am not 100% clued up on that, no doubt others are and will hopefully advise.

Most insurance companies are in the first place directing customers to seek a refund from the travel provider, that was the first recorded menu message when I called mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Possible nobody at Marella has caught the FCO announcement at 12-30 today, or maybe the "high heid yins" did but it hasn't yet filtered through to call centre staff.

 

With an advisory effective immediately not to travel globally for next 30 days they should be giving you a refund.  You should not feel pressured into taking a future date as an alternative.

Edited by edinburgher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just this second had a text from TUI. It's pretty standard but it confirms my cruise is cancelled and that for "customers due to travel between 20th March and 16th April we'd like to offer you the opportunity to amend your holiday to a later date if you wish." I think the sensible choice is to take a refund. In all likelihood I'll book another cruise at some point in the future but I think I'd rather my money be in my bank than there's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

Just this second had a text from TUI. It's pretty standard but it confirms my cruise is cancelled and that for "customers due to travel between 20th March and 16th April we'd like to offer you the opportunity to amend your holiday to a later date if you wish." I think the sensible choice is to take a refund. In all likelihood I'll book another cruise at some point in the future but I think I'd rather my money be in my bank than there's.

I’d take the money too.  If Tui fold then claiming from ATOL or through your credit card provider could take a while..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I'm thinking. It also depend on what incentive they offer too. This was a two week cruise in the Caribbean so a little bit more money than a week in the Med.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

TUI's communication has improved as the days have gone on, with 3 updates today.

Having worked in a operations role helping to manage such emergencies, they've not done a bad job when every hour the situation changes.

I'll wait it out for now as we're not booked to cruise until early June.

Edited by Essex_uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

TUI as a group are One of, if not the largest travel group in the world but they need to take a look Princess Cruises CEO on YouTube. Now that is classy and clever.

 

It is clear empathetic and cleverly implores your help.

 

My cruise doesn’t go until 1st May but still I want to know where I am as I don’t want to waste a weeks holiday from work. 
 

I’m not worried about a refund as I have TUI, insurance, ATOL and credit card coverage.

 

Poor communication would make me wary of booking TUI again.

Edited by buzzybuzzbuzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...