Cruise Critic Community
LaPochCka

Amsterdam in 2 days

Hi everyone! Could not find anything here, so starting a new topic

Like many others we are spending a couple of days in AMS prior to the cruise - does anyone have an idea on the possible agenda? We will for sure do boat tour in the city and Van Gogh museum but what else? 

Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks a lot!

When will you be in Amsterdam?

If you're there in April or May, go to Keukenhof.

In Amsterdam, visit the Rijksmuseum.  (sorry about the spelling)

We also did the Heineken experience as recommended by friends.  It was okay, depends on whether you're beer drinkers I guess.

We took the train to Zaanse schans to see working windmills etc.

Other friends did the Anne Frank house (make sure you book your tickets ahead).

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Agree with above and also suggest Rijksmuseum & Anne Frank House. 

Also you MUST buy timed tickets to Anne Frank House on line before you go!  They go fast so check the website to see how far out they are selling and keep coming back to check for your dates.  These timed tickets saves several hours on the long line.  Remember the family hid there so it's tiny...so only  a few people get in at a time.  With the timed ticket we just walked in thru a side door while the line out front was about 2 hours long.

Also the daily flower auction at  Aalsmeer is amazing to see. 

Get the 2 day Amsterdam pass that pretty much includes everything except the Anne Frank  House (unless it has changed since we were there.) Google it and their website should tell you everything that is included on it.

The Rijksmusuem is the national museum and it is right by the Van Gogh Museum, highly recommend both.

9 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

Also you MUST buy timed tickets to Anne Frank House on line before you go!  They go fast so check the website to see how far out they are selling and keep coming back to check for your dates.  These timed tickets saves several hours on the long line.

Tickets must be purchased on line. There are no longer any sales at the door, so no long lines. Check the website for details.

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Tickets must be purchased on line. There are no longer any sales at the door, so no long lines. Check the website for details.

Thanks for the info.  That's an interesting change!

52 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Indeed.  80% of the tickets come online 2 months prior your day of visit, on the day itself only 20% of tickets can be booked. Check their website: https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets/

Be aware you have to go up a steep stairs.

We didn't tour Anne Frank house but instead did the walk from there to the Dutch Resistance Museum. Purchased the small booklet "Persecution and Resistance" from Anne Frank House for .50 euro (though they did not have English version on the day, we used google translate along the way and purchased the English version at the museum) and followed the route. The museum is excellent! After our visit there we had lunch at nearby cafe de Plantage and then caught the tram back(we had purchased a 2 day transport pass) to our B&B in the Jordaan  area.Was a great day!

We are big art people, so for our first full day in Amsterdam we booked a private guided tour of both Rijksmusuem and Van Gogh museum, as well as a general tour of the city sights. For the second day we booked a bus tour out to Zaanse Schans to see the windmills, a cheese farm, and also a wooden shoe demonstration. We purposefully chose a tour that didn’t leave until the afternoon, as we are hoping to get tickets to Anne Frank House that morning. 

I did a lot of research on different companies and ended up choosing the same company for both, which gave us a significant discount. As said above an afternoon start in day 2 was needed, and they were one of the few that did that. They were also one of the only companies that would not charge anything for our one year old daughter (Provided she sits on our lap if the tour is full), most tour companies charged full price or close to it, even though she would have free admission to all the locations if we planned it ourselves. 

A lot depends on what you're interested in, too, of course. If you enjoy art museums, the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are amazing. I wouldn't skip over the contemporary art museum, though - Stedelijk. All three are located near one another and accept the iAmsterdam Card (though you should select a time slot in advance for Van Gogh, if possible). 

The last time I was in Amsterdam, I did a food tour with Hungry Birds - it's a long tour, but very delicious and very informative. We did their 'day experience' and it is a very full (and filling) 5 hours. If you have never been to Amsterdam and only have the couple of days - or if you don't necessarily care about food - you may want to spend your time doing something else. That said, I can't wait to go back and do their evening experience. 

You will see plenty of canal boats all day, every day. They are usually large and include a pre-recorded audio track. I prefer smaller boats from a company like KINBoat or Those Dam Boat Guys. On the other hand, the iAmsterdam Card includes a free canal boat tour on one of the larger, impersonal boats and it's hard to argue with a bargain like that. 

The Old Church (Oude Kerk) is worth a visit, too. It's located near the Church In The Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder) which I found to be absolutely fascinating. 

If you make it to the Anne Frank House, I would suggest getting breakfast/brunch before or after at The Pancake Bakery (Prinsengracht 191). For dinner, I would also highly recommend an Indonesian ‘Rijsttafel’ (Rice Table). Think Indonesian tapas. Sampurna (Singel 498) and Indrapura (Rembrandtplein 40) are both good options and are centrally located. 

On 2/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, puppycanducruise said:

When will you be in Amsterdam?

If you're there in April or May, go to Keukenhof.

In Amsterdam, visit the Rijksmuseum.  (sorry about the spelling)

We also did the Heineken experience as recommended by friends.  It was okay, depends on whether you're beer drinkers I guess.

We took the train to Zaanse schans to see working windmills etc.

Other friends did the Anne Frank house (make sure you book your tickets ahead).

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

We will be there in July, seems to be late for Keukenhof, but it is never too late for Heineken! 🙂 

1 hour ago, 3rdCoastFan said:

A lot depends on what you're interested in, too, of course. If you enjoy art museums, the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are amazing. I wouldn't skip over the contemporary art museum, though - Stedelijk. All three are located near one another and accept the iAmsterdam Card (though you should select a time slot in advance for Van Gogh, if possible). 

The last time I was in Amsterdam, I did a food tour with Hungry Birds - it's a long tour, but very delicious and very informative. We did their 'day experience' and it is a very full (and filling) 5 hours. If you have never been to Amsterdam and only have the couple of days - or if you don't necessarily care about food - you may want to spend your time doing something else. That said, I can't wait to go back and do their evening experience. 

You will see plenty of canal boats all day, every day. They are usually large and include a pre-recorded audio track. I prefer smaller boats from a company like KINBoat or Those Dam Boat Guys. On the other hand, the iAmsterdam Card includes a free canal boat tour on one of the larger, impersonal boats and it's hard to argue with a bargain like that. 

The Old Church (Oude Kerk) is worth a visit, too. It's located near the Church In The Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder) which I found to be absolutely fascinating. 

If you make it to the Anne Frank House, I would suggest getting breakfast/brunch before or after at The Pancake Bakery (Prinsengracht 191). For dinner, I would also highly recommend an Indonesian ‘Rijsttafel’ (Rice Table). Think Indonesian tapas. Sampurna (Singel 498) and Indrapura (Rembrandtplein 40) are both good options and are centrally located. 

Wow, the food tour is a brilliant idea, thanks a lot! 

I'll second a lot of what's already been said. Book Anne Frank as soon as possible. There's both a tour of the house, and a tour + a talk; the two together are worth it. You'll spend time there, and it's probably the farthest away from the Museumplein, so count that as a chunk of time. Get the 2-day iAmsterdam card and immediately (they should have an iPad at the sales point) reserve your Van Gogh museum time. That's the one museum I recall where you needed to reserve a time. You can spend a lot of time there as well, especially if you're into Van Gogh and his art. The Rijksmuseum is huge, so depending on your interests, plan on a lot of time there as well.

The iAmsterdam card includes a canal cruise as mentioned. It also includes public transportation within the immediate Amsterdam area (all on the web). You can order the card ahead online, and even have it delivered to the states. Reserving a time at the Van Gogh museum does not start the timer on the card (we were there for business and got the card for after my meetings, so reserved when we bought the cards).

The Rijsttafel is a treat. Depends on where you're staying. I've done Restaurant Blauw a couple of times, which I loved. Zaanse Schans is wonderful, but it will take time both to get there and to tour, and you've got two days (does that include day of arrival?). It's included on the iAmsterdam City Card as well.

Personally, I'd skip Heineken and if you want a treat find some place with good Genever and do a vertical from young to old; my favorite, not available in the US, or at duty free on the way out, was Zuidam Oude Genever. You'll have to look it up to understand; it's not a gin, and it's not really a whisky, but it's very good, and very much a Netherlands thing. (The Marriott bar off the Museumplein had a great selection.)

One warning about hotels and July. "Air Conditioning", outside of the big American chains, can be a "misnomer". Summers are getting warmer in Northern Europe, and many of the affordable hotels will have dramatically undersized AC for the new normal. Check reviews...

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

Get the 2-day iAmsterdam card and immediately (they should have an iPad at the sales point) reserve your Van Gogh museum time. That's the one museum I recall where you needed to reserve a time. You can spend a lot of time there as well, especially if you're into Van Gogh and his art. The Rijksmuseum is huge, so depending on your interests, plan on a lot of time there as well.

One more:  the Rijksmuseum.  Until very recently, when you bought a ticket in advance on line for the Rijksmusuem, it was good for a year, no need to select a date.   Now, however, you must select a date, as well as a two-hour entry time.  On their web site, it will look like a very specific entry time (9am, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm), but when you actually get the email with your tickets, it provides a two-hour window for entry (9-11am, ,etc.).   I just did this recently, and was surprised by the change in ticketing, since I hadn't seen any reference to it in anything I've read.   (Maybe it's just very, very new.)  I think it's a good thing; I was puzzled by how a Museum as popular as this one could just sell unlimited tickets with no entry date specified. 

Edited by Turtles06

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

One more:  the Rijksmuseum.  Until very recently, when you bought a ticket in advance on line for the Rijksmusuem, it was good for a year, no need to select a date. 

Interesting. The iAmsterdam City Card page still only has a link for the Van Gogh Museum, but that could be a change to be aware of for them as well.

The Rijksmuseum website states the following; “If you have a Museumkaart, I Amsterdam City Card, members of ICOM, ICOMOS, the Rembrandt Association, KOG, Stadspas, VVAK, BGL VIP-Card, you do not have to choose a time slot. These cards are scanned at the entrance gate as usual.”

So if you have a Museumkaart or an I Amsterdam City Card, you still can proceed directly to the entrance as usual.
Source; https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/visitor-information/opening-hours-and-prices

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

32 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The Rijksmuseum website states the following; “If you have a Museumkaart, I Amsterdam City Card, members of ICOM, ICOMOS, the Rembrandt Association, KOG, Stadspas, VVAK, BGL VIP-Card, you do not have to choose a time slot. These cards are scanned at the entrance gate as usual.”

So if you have a Museumkaart or an I Amsterdam City Card, you still can proceed directly to the entrance as usual.
Source; https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/visitor-information/opening-hours-and-prices

Thank you for clarifying that.   My comment above was related only to the purchase of advance tickets on line directly from the Rijksmuseum (not via any of the city cards). 

My post #18 was in reply to post #17 directly above, that’s why I didn’t quote. 
Post #17 states that the I Amsterdam Card website only has a link to the Van Gogh Museum (to book a time slot). I wrote my post #18 to clarify that those with an I Amsterdam Card do not need to book a specific time for the Rijksmuseum. They can directly proceed to the entrance and have their card scanned. So it makes sense that the website of the I Amsterdam Card doesn’t have a link to book a time for the Rijksmuseum.

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

We had two days in Amsterdam in August prior to our cruise.   Not enough time.  Did the Anne Frank house - bought tickets in advance.  Also did a Free Walking tour on the day we arrived.  Of course, do Canal tour.  Have a plan to return April 2021.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, LaPochCka said:

We will be there in July, seems to be late for Keukenhof, but it is never too late for Heineken! 🙂 

We are beer drinkers and found the Heineken experience very commercial.   Didn’t enjoy it.  But everyone is different and you may love it.  Amsterdam is great for wandering the streets.....see so many interesting things.   If you’ve never been the red light district is interesting as is Cannibus college if you want to see those parts of town.  There are also some great bars scattered around Amsterdam with sidewalk seating for amazing people watching.  We aren’t huge museum people but the Anne Frank house was very interesting.  

We were there for three days.  We bought the iamsterdam card and thought it was a great value.  It included transportation all over, except for trains.  We used the subway, buses, trams and took a free ferry (and then a bus) over to see the windmills.

It also included one canal boat ride, which we loved, entrance to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh and lots of other attractions, most of which we didn't do.  We did tour a couple of old canal houses which was included.

We are not beer drinkers, so didn't do that.  We did lots of just wandering to see the city; it was rather late for the tulips, so didn't do that. 

I ordered the Anne Frank tickets exactly two months ahead.  All in all we loved our days there.  In two days, I'd probably do Anne Frank and the museums one day, plus some wandering the city and the Windmills another day; you'd still have time to see a few sights like churches.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:19 PM, gfkcruiser said:

Also did a Free Walking tour on the day we arrived. 

Please be aware that these so-called “free” tours that harass participants into giving a tip are banned in Amsterdam starting April 1, 2020. They were nothing but schemes to avoid paying taxes, so the city decided to ban them. Also the maximum number of participants in a group will be limited to 15 people. Guides that guide groups with more than 5 people need to have a license.

We did Anne Frank, two tours (walking & red light district) with That Dam Guide (https://thatdamguide.com/) both were excellent tours. We did a private canal tour with Rederij Paping (tours@rederijpaping.nl) that was excellent. Both of these tour companies have excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. Also did a Marken, Volendam and the Windmills with Amsterdam City Tours. We loved Amsterdam!