Cruise Critic Community
H2Otstr

Canceled trip and purchased insurance

My Viking trip from Bali to Bangkok was canceled last night. What happens to the insurance that I bought for this trip? 

Can it be applied to another cruise? 

I was once told that if there are no expenses to claim, I could switch the insurance to another trip within a certain amount of time.  But that was only one company; not sure of the rest.  Will be interested to hear what your insurance company says. I know insurance for a trip like that is expensive. 

I feel for you.  I was glad I got home from my recent Bali/Aus/NZ trip before the worst of the coronavirus juggling started.   There were itinerary changes, and I lost some money, but at least the cruises weren't canceled. 

Edited by roothy123

2 hours ago, InsureMyTrip said:

Sorry to hear about that. Were you reimbursed for all prepaid non-refundable expenses by your cruise line? 

I am supposed to get my money back from American Airlines for the upgrades that I purchased, but it will take a while to come back on my credit card. I should get back the money for the optional excursions that I purchased from Viking. It will take several weeks to be posted. 

Hi @H20tstr did you happen to buy your policy through InsureMyTrip? If so, I'd like to put you in touch with our advocacy program which can help. 

We were also booked on this cruise that was cancelled by Viking. I purchased our air separately, but covered the full cost in my insurance package last June. Because my cruise has been cancelled and we are not wanting to rebook a trip. Will the insurance I bought reimburse us the the $7800 we paid ?

We purchased a Viking cruise in Jan 2020 for a trip in Oct 2020.  We paid only a $500 deposit, but $1200 insurance through Viking Due to the virus spread into France, our destination, we cancelled our trip prior to paying in full. Viking refunded their agreed upon amount of deposit, but none of the insurance fee. Even though the insurance policy says non refundable, since we only had a deposit on the cancelled trip, they actually insured nothing. We did have pre existing coverage. My husband is on immunosuppressant drugs thus we felt travel was not prudent. Do we have any grounds for an insurance refund?

We had a canceled an April 2020 Japan trip with Oceania Cruise Line and was re-imbursed 100% by Oceania plus 100% by United Airlines.  However, I can't even get in touch with the travel insurance company Generali Travel Insurance, formerly CSA Travel.  Since February 19, 2020 when cruise line canceled trip I've tried to get them via telephone with not luck.  Just trying to find out from them what my options are.  This is the 4th cruise that I've used them and the only one that needed assistance.