Jump to content

Fraudulent charges


Recommended Posts

Have any of you that are booked with NCL has fraudulent charges come through in the past day or two?

 

My daughter and I are sailing on the Gem in a couple weeks. We live in different states and we each paid separately, using different credit cards from different banks, and neither one is an authorized user on the other’s account.
 

Last night we both were hit with fraudulent charges from the same companies (Bed,Bath and Beyond and Keurig) for the same amounts and at the same time of day. 
 

The only commonality with the cards is they were both used for our upcoming cruise. We think either the travel agent or the cruise line was hacked.  
 

Has anyone else had this happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I only use my NCL credit card for NCL related expenses. I am now on my FOURTH card because my account was compromised three times in about two years. It seems to have calmed down now, I've had this card for over a year, but it does seem there is a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No issues here. I have just recently used my credit card to book a Studio on my upcoming Bliss sailing and then used it again to upgrade that to a Balcony. I also entered the same credit card info for an upgrade bid and during my online check-in for my room expenses to be billed to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Too much of a coincidence to point to NCL - reason being that of the thousands of transactions that NCL does on a daily basis, the probability that the 2 of you would be targeted is astronomical.

But the likelihood of the two completely unrelated accounts having the same fraudulent activity of astronomical as well, which is why we think it is either NCL or the travel agent that processed the payments that had a breach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Snowball said:

But the likelihood of the two completely unrelated accounts having the same fraudulent activity of astronomical as well, which is why we think it is either NCL or the travel agent that processed the payments that had a breach. 

I have no doubt that it was related to the TA.  You listed 2 possibilities, I basically eliminated one of those 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there have been a few complaints over the last few years regarding credit card fraud.  I agree, this should be reported.  Also unfortunately, there are some TAs that are not trustworthy. 

 

On a European cruise a few years ago, we were hit with unexplained charges from a Tour Group which our CC company tagged as fraudulent.  They contacted us and, once we confirmed that the charges were incorrect, they contacted the authorities.  The charges were reversed on CCs. 

 

Be careful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Snowball said:

The only commonality with the cards is they were both used for our upcoming cruise. We think either the travel agent or the cruise line was hacked.  


Not necessarily a hack. Could have been someone unscrupulous at your TA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Snowball said:

The only commonality with the cards is they were both used for our upcoming cruise. We think either the travel agent or the cruise line was hacked.  

Actually there are many more "commonality" than you think....... all of us are in the ginormous Credit Reporting Bureaus databases and they've been compromised in the past...  many companies have come forward and admitted their databases have been compromised as well.    I would immediately make a false charge claim (due to possible identity theft), close the credit cards and get new ones.  Unfortunately this is not uncommon nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I only use my NCL credit card for NCL related expenses. I am now on my FOURTH card because my account was compromised three times in about two years. It seems to have calmed down now, I've had this card for over a year, but it does seem there is a problem.


Interesting. I have the NCL card also, and am on my fourth or fifth one over several years. I use mine for NCL purchases, of course, but also use it for every day expenses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Actually there are many more "commonality" than you think....... all of us are in the ginormous Credit Reporting Bureaus databases and they've been compromised in the past...  many companies have come forward and admitted their databases have been compromised as well.    I would immediately make a false charge claim (due to possible identity theft), close the credit cards and get new ones.  Unfortunately this is not uncommon nowadays.

 

There is no question that credit card fraud is all too common, sadly.   But there is an extremely unusual coincidence here in that the OP and her daughter both had their separate cards fraudulently used in the exact same way, and the one commonality those cards have is that they were both used to book the same cruise with the same TA (and on NCL).  That's why I'd be bringing this up with the TA.   

 

As you say, though, in any instance of fraudulent use of a credit card, one should contact the card issuer, notify them of the fraud, close the card, and get a new one.  Presumably, the OP and her daughter have already done this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two days after I read this thread I received a new credit card from my bank - with new numbers. My old account has been closed due to "fraudulent activity", not on my account but apparently with a company I charge to. My card is the card we use to charge NCL purchases.

 

My husband also received a new card, but his number hasn't changed and this is the time of year his is supposed to change. My was changed 15 months earlier than normal. His card isn't used for NCL purchases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...