OBC denied because of “low fare”?

2Oldpeopleinlove

Reading this topic, I became concerned. We had purchased future cruise credits while on the Queen Victoria last November. At Christmas, we decided to do the QM2 crossing leaving New York on July 31 2020. Early January, our agent booked us. Cunard's invoice specified that we could not use Cunard's future cruise credits for the deposit. No problem, I would apply them to the final payment. Last Thursday, I checked the President's Day Sale. Those rates would save us in excess of $1200 Cdn, and so I had my agent rebook this for us. I then read this topic, became concerned, and had him check for me; Cunard told him that because this was the President's Day Sale rate, I would loose the $600 US in onboard credits, the only reason that we had bought these deposits in the first place.

I checked the certificates. As someone else has stated, they say “The Future Cruise Deposit is not combinable with Last Minute Deals, Sailing Soon Savings and other fares offered inside final payment.” Sailing is July 31. This was not a “Last Minute Deal”. Cunard has “Sailing Soon Savings”, but this was not one of them. Final payment is due April 2, 2020, so this is not a fare offered inside final payment. If other people's certificates read as mine does, then Cunard was not living up to the terms of the deal as agreed on purchase.

I was ready to go up the food chain, but thought that I should first check, using the contact number shown on my certificate, 1-800-728-6273. I reached a pleasant young woman. I explained that I wished to confirm that I would not loose my onboard credits. She checked, came back telling me that I would. I pointed out that the President's Day sale was not one of the specified exclusions. She checked with her supervisor. Her supervisor applied our credits to our amount outstanding, and gave us our onboard credits. I asked what confirmation I would receive, and she said that it would be sent to my travel agent. He has sent me a copy, complete with onboard credits.

Now, at one point in our conversation, she tried to tell me that July 31 was “sailing soon”, which is of course a matter of opinion, but given that Cunard does have “Sailing Soon” named sales, I begged to differ on this interpretation. The certificate capitalizes “Sailing Soon Savings”, implying to me that it refers to something named that. So, be persistent. It worked for me.

• Like 1

Dear OP, I can well understand your frustration.  I had intended to take this further, but Cunard granted me my OBC, so I don't have to.  In searching for those higher up the food chain, Cunard's and Carnival's sites were useless, but I did find the following through Elliott Advocacy:  elliott.org/company-contacts/cunard/  This shows their suggested primary contact as Simon Palethorpe, Senior Vice President, Cunard, simon.palethorpe@cunardukgroup.com. I pass it along to you.

I intended to put to him that the Future Cruise Deposit was in effect a contract between the purchaser and Cunard.  Cunard got the use of the purchase price for up to 4 years, as well as tipping the purchaser towards booking again.  The purchaser was motivated to purchase because of the OBC it carried.  The exclusions were clearly outlined in the FCD document.  If a trip did not fall within the exclusions, the OBC should be honoured.

To fail to do so would dry up subsequent purchases of FCD's.

If Cunard intended to exclude ANY reduced fare, they could have said so in the exclusions.  It does exclude any fares inside 120 days, the final payment date.  In my opinion, to deny the OBC beyond the exclusions on the certificate would be a breach of contract.

Dealing with Cunard is frustrating; just look at the mess that is "My Cunard".  But being on the QM2, oh-h, that is magical!  I hope that you won't let corporate ineptitude stop you from enjoying that delight.

Karen

• Like 1

We are keeping our booking for Dec 2020 but will not book further with Cunard. I am not accustomed to outright deception and find it completely unacceptable. I’m sure we can be happy with a company that doesn’t treat us like the red-headed stepchild. Thank you very much for your attempts to help, but after this last call, I am well and truly finished with Cunard.

I am so sorry that this is souring you on Cunard.  I am considering writing to Mr Palethorpe anyway; he may be unaware that this is happening and how counterproductive the matter is to Cunard's long term interests.  I guess it depends on how long I "keep my Irish up".

Red-headed stepchild, huh.  Though now grey, I was the red-headed child of Scots -Irish immigrants.  I always rather liked it!

Karen

• Like 2

It seems strange that, if I have understood correctly, in the US, the FCDs can be used, but you lose the benefits. I should have thought that both Cunard themselves and a competent travel agent should point that out before someone commits themselves.

i also wonder if there might be some result, once on board, in going to have a sorrowful moan to the onboard travel people, to see if they might get the obc reinstated in the unfortunate circumstances. After all, they were the ones who seem to have failed to make the conditions clear upon purchase.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

For UK bookings the terms are clear, Future Cruise Deposits can't be used for Late Saver bookings. 

Our Future Cruise Credits were bought last September and stipulate The Future Cruise Deposit is not combinable with Last Minute Deals, Sailing Soon Savings and other fares offered inside payment. The voyage I was looking at was in September 2020, so not applicable to the aforementioned. They were bought onboard the QM2 and are covered by North American bookings.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

It seems strange that, if I have understood correctly, in the US, the FCDs can be used, but you lose the benefits. I should have thought that both Cunard themselves and a competent travel agent should point that out before someone commits themselves.

i also wonder if there might be some result, once on board, in going to have a sorrowful moan to the onboard travel people, to see if they might get the obc reinstated in the unfortunate circumstances. After all, they were the ones who seem to have failed to make the conditions clear upon purchase.

Whether a competent TA or a Cunard representative point out before a booking that this "advantage" cannot be used is not the point, it is not good business to move the goalposts after a purchase has been made in good faith. No customer should have to present a sorrowful face to try to coax a Cunard employee to give what was agreed on.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, Reuben's 3rd said:

Reading this topic, I became concerned. We had purchased future cruise credits while on the Queen Victoria last November. At Christmas, we decided to do the QM2 crossing leaving New York on July 31 2020. Early January, our agent booked us. Cunard's invoice specified that we could not use Cunard's future cruise credits for the deposit. No problem, I would apply them to the final payment. Last Thursday, I checked the President's Day Sale. Those rates would save us in excess of $1200 Cdn, and so I had my agent rebook this for us. I then read this topic, became concerned, and had him check for me; Cunard told him that because this was the President's Day Sale rate, I would loose the $600 US in onboard credits, the only reason that we had bought these deposits in the first place.

I checked the certificates. As someone else has stated, they say “The Future Cruise Deposit is not combinable with Last Minute Deals, Sailing Soon Savings and other fares offered inside final payment.” Sailing is July 31. This was not a “Last Minute Deal”. Cunard has “Sailing Soon Savings”, but this was not one of them. Final payment is due April 2, 2020, so this is not a fare offered inside final payment. If other people's certificates read as mine does, then Cunard was not living up to the terms of the deal as agreed on purchase.

I was ready to go up the food chain, but thought that I should first check, using the contact number shown on my certificate, 1-800-728-6273. I reached a pleasant young woman. I explained that I wished to confirm that I would not loose my onboard credits. She checked, came back telling me that I would. I pointed out that the President's Day sale was not one of the specified exclusions. She checked with her supervisor. Her supervisor applied our credits to our amount outstanding, and gave us our onboard credits. I asked what confirmation I would receive, and she said that it would be sent to my travel agent. He has sent me a copy, complete with onboard credits.

Now, at one point in our conversation, she tried to tell me that July 31 was “sailing soon”, which is of course a matter of opinion, but given that Cunard does have “Sailing Soon” named sales, I begged to differ on this interpretation. The certificate capitalizes “Sailing Soon Savings”, implying to me that it refers to something named that. So, be persistent. It worked for me.

Thank you for your generous sharing of information, the sailing I am looking at is in September. I am following up with Cunard and will come back to this board when I hear back. 

2 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

That is also clear to us in the printed confirmation if the deposits. However, ten months ahead is hardly a late booking.

I wasn't suggesting it was, just explaining that it's not an issue with UK bookings as the terms are clear. It's also clear what fare type you're booking so in relation to the question 57eric posted it's unlikely that anyone booking in the UK would have a similar issue.