Your cruise/holiday plans and Corona

zltm089

With all the Corona virus stuff going on, ships quarantined etc 

What are your cruise plans for this year?

I was planning a cruise to Norway and Alaska, but bit apprehensive with all the horror stories.

Multiple threads on CC about Corona virus, so what are your thoughts folks? My main concern is getting on a ship that's quarantined or last minute cancellations, not too bothered about the risks of catching the virus itself.

What are your plans? Have you cancelled anything? 

Kind regards 

Kevin 

We are in the same dilemma, with just two weeks until final payment is due for our Norway cruise on Apex.  It's not the catching of the virus so much as the possible quarantine situation on the ship.  The Diamond Princess did not seem to quarantine people very effectively at all.

At the moment we are thinking of cancelling, but will wait as long as possible in case the situation changes.

• Like 1

Not changing a thing. In a normal day I come in contact with a few hundred people at my office, a few hundred more at the gym (gross place), and tonight add another hundred or so at Happy Hour. Those places currently have no restrictions on where people have traveled to. I also joked with our CFO that my next week long cruise may turn into three weeks of paid sick time 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Although travel to Asia might be problematic right now - and many cruise lines including  X have varied thier intineraries.  To cancel Norway or Alaska cruises right now is not - IMO  - justified.  Yes it is something to watch.  If you don't already have annual insurance you might be a touch late but if you can, get a policy which includes disease outbreaks.  But otherwise - I guess if you cancel it leaves more cheaper cabins for everyone else!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you say ‘watch’, what are you watching for? Corona to break out in Alaska or Norway? One case? Two? People aren’t going to local Asian restaurants in areas that corona hasn’t shown up within 1000 miles. 

And yes, theoretically, someone could book your cruise and bring it aboard. Yup. And I could step out of the van taking me to the cruise ship and forget to look left/right (or is it right/left for the UK??) and get run over by someone wanting to get to the ship Really quickly. 

My uneducated, subjective wild guess is the threat really this year for most of the world, it could (Stressing ‘could’) be Winter and we should ‘watch’ what occurs then. I’m on a Japan TransPacific in April/May 2021. I Will ‘watch’ what occurs prior to final, but that’s only because of the itinerary being closer to the epicenter. My final payment is mid-January 2021 and it’s nonrefundalabe, which means since I don’t think how Celebrity has and is handling this situation is ‘shameful’, I’ll take a future credit for a different itinerary. 

The US State Dept only has China has a Level 4 (do not travel) threat due to Corona Virus. The rest of the level 4’s are due to violence levels. Heck, Hong Kong is Level 2 (incensed caution) and most all other SE Asian and western Asian countries are Level 1. 

Go enjoy Norway, or Alaska, or Europe and Africa and in truth, most of Asia.....stay out of China, especially Central China!! For now.

Den

• Thanks 2

Honestly my doctor just today said people in the US should be more concerned with the flu then with the corona virus. 

I booked a Caribbean cruise last year for this April and I’m still going. I did call last week to see if there were any balcony rooms available (which there were) and the sweet rep gave me one for free. That was my “just in case” kicking in and not imagining being stuck in a room without fresh air and daylight should a quarantine be issued.

I think one should take normal precautions but If you are apprehensive about traveling right now then do what feels right to you. No use in spending thousands of dollars on a vacation only to be worried when you should be relaxing. 

Best Wishes!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emmandjay said:

We are in the same dilemma, with just two weeks until final payment is due for our Norway cruise on Apex.  It's not the catching of the virus so much as the possible quarantine situation on the ship.  The Diamond Princess did not seem to quarantine people very effectively at all.

At the moment we are thinking of cancelling, but will wait as long as possible in case the situation changes.

The DP was protecting Japan and could not leave

I have six more cruises booked this year, beginning with one tomorrow. No way am I cancelling anything at this time.  Anything could change in the future, but unless you are very elderly, and/or already have serious health issues (in which case why are you cruising at all I wonder) I see no reason to cancel at this time.  I will bring extra prescription meds as a precaution but beyond that, it’s live life as normal until or if that doesn’t make sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a B2B in April going down under Auckland to Sydney and TP Sydney to Honolulu going through French Polynesia and we’re prepared.  Make sure you bring wipes for the plane and your cabin.  That, avoid touching nose or mouth and good hand washing should help.  Just prepare and don’t worry, you’ll have a great cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1