Cruise Critic Community
kimmiecruises

boarding independence of the seas questions

I apologize for asking questions that probably have been answered but I have not figured out how to do a search, I used to be able to type in my questions and I would have plenty of answers,  now I seem to get a bunch of threads not relevant.

We will be sailing on the independence out of Fort Lauderdale and would like to know how the boarding is handled.  We are a group of 24, ages 11 to 79, only 2 have cruised Royal before, in case that makes a difference.  We like to board early, and our hotel shuttles start at 9, will we be able to board that early?  Do they tell you a time to board as opposed to whenever you show up?  What is the check in like - inside/outside? Chairs?  Any info/suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

57 minutes ago, kimmiecruises said:

We like to board early, and our hotel shuttles start at 9, will we be able to board that early? 

Leave the hotel at 10 - unlikely you will be able to board much before 11 and sitting around the hotel is likely more comfortable than the terminal. 

Boarding will not begin before 10:30 or 11.  Boarding groups are : wedding parties, back to backers, pinnacle, suites, Key then everyone else by boarding number.  Once boarding begins, the last stragglers of the group who were there before it began should be on board within 20 minutes

check in itself may not even begin until 930 or so and prior to that you are in line, possibly outside.  

far better to have a leisurely breakfast and not rush.  Get to the terminal between 10-11 and your wait should be minimal

If you are in the terminal before boarding starts they do separate people into groups based on their status, but you can always sit with a lower level group.  Once boarding actually begins it moves fast, so the two with status might only gain 5 minutes even if they sat with their own group.  After the initial rush you board as soon as you check in.

Look at your set sail pass, gives you a time when you should check in. We usually arrive at the terminal around 10:30 and depending on the crowds, can take anywhere from half hour or longer but there’s been few times we’ve “sailed “ right through. If you get there early, you might spend lots of time standing in line before you can even get through security. Spook wife is right, suite guests and Pinnacles board first, then down the line depending on how many RCL cruises you have been on. Have fun!

Thank you!  So they give you a number/time, that is good to know. (do they keep groups together as far as the time goes? We'll stay with the group even tho we can get on sooner)  I thought 9 might be too early, our 2 cruises out of port Canaveral we got there between 10:15 and 10:30 and were on board at the pub before 11, so leaving the hotel at 10 sounds like the right plan. 

Now for the next year to "sail" by  😉

8 minutes ago, kimmiecruises said:

So they give you a number/time, that is good to know. (do they keep groups together as far as the time goes?

Yes, but you can ignore those times. 

Biker19, thanks!

Is it a pretty quick drop off?  When we left out of long beach it took 30 mins to get us to the drop off from the time we reached the entrance to all the docks (after spending 30 mins going to the wrong ship and having to start over  😩, it might have been his first day) 

15 minutes ago, kimmiecruises said:

Is it a pretty quick drop off?

Yes, the longest delay usually is the security check at the entrance to the port.