First time Grandeur - silly questions!

NJsharon

Going on the Grandeur in July - just booked today!!!!

I think most of these questions are pretty broad & relate to Royal in general though.

Do they always do themed nights at one of the clubs on board the ship?  How do you know before the cruise if they are going to do them & what they are?  Like 80s night etc.  Any examples of theme nights & yes, do they always do a theme night?

Silly question, but does Royal do bingo on board?  lol  I like to waste my money on bingo.  Yes I say that, as I have never won big on any of the cruises I have taken with other cruise lines, but I still love to play bingo!!!  If so, how often do they have games?  Is it paper or electronic boards?

What kind of game shows do they have on the ship, and how often do they do those games?

Trivia games... do they do those fairly often?  What kind of trivia games, are there prizes, is it serious business or just for fun?

Solarium is on the Grandeur correct?  What time does that open in the morning & does it really get full very quickly?  It says 16+  But do they keep the 18-21yr old 'kids' in check or not?  Can you go early and 'reserve' a spot, then go grab breakfast, and come back, or do you have to be sitting on your seat at all times?  What if you are alone, and want to wander off to a trivia session, then come back?  I guess you'd have to give up your seat right?

Yes, so many questions.  They sound so silly, sorry.

Buffet area.  What free drinks does it have during the day for free?

The soda machines that you can use if you buy the soda package with the special 'chip' cup.  Are there many of those soda machines placed around the ship?

'Cafe Select Coffee Card' I think would included iced lattes? 

That is the only 'premium' coffee I drink really, but I do like to drink that every day.  I was planning to just get the basic soda package for myself as I don't drink alcohol, but didn't think the 'Refreshment' package was worth it as I really am not into mocktails or juices.

That being said, are the iced lattes a decent size?  The card is good for 15, it also says 50% off individually purchased coffees. 

If I used the card on 15 iced lattes.  Could I then get 50% off future iced lattes?

Izumi, is that just a sushi restaurant, or is it hibachi too?  If just sushi, can you order sushi to go, or is that just sit down?  If it is sit down, can you just order one thing, or is it a set meal (appetizer, plus entree, and dessert)?  Was confusing looking at dining options online.  I know my 2 daughters love sushi, but don't want them spending a fortune there!  lol

Spa - there are no services, such as facials that a 15yr old could get done?  It shows a 'fruity facial' & one for acne, but then says the minimum age is 18yrs old!

SO MANY QUESTIONS... so sorry.  

But if anyone can answer just one or two of these that would be wonderful.  Thank you!

12 minutes ago, NJsharon said:

Do they always do themed nights at one of the clubs on board the ship?  How do you know before the cruise if they are going to do them & what they are?  Like 80s night etc.  Any examples of theme nights & yes, do they always do a theme night? Search online for past Cruise Compasses and it will let you know about theme nights.

Silly question, but does Royal do bingo on board?  lol  I like to waste my money on bingo.  Yes I say that, as I have never won big on any of the cruises I have taken with other cruise lines, but I still love to play bingo!!!  If so, how often do they have games?  Is it paper or electronic boards? I think Bingo was offered twice on our last cruise on Grandeur it will be listed in the old Cruise Compasses.  I believe it was paper. 

What kind of game shows do they have on the ship, and how often do they do those games? Same answer check the Cruise Compass

Trivia games... do they do those fairly often?  What kind of trivia games, are there prizes, is it serious business or just for fun? Same answer check the Cruise Compass

Solarium is on the Grandeur correct?  What time does that open in the morning & does it really get full very quickly?  It says 16+  But do they keep the 18-21yr old 'kids' in check or not?  Can you go early and 'reserve' a spot, then go grab breakfast, and come back, or do you have to be sitting on your seat at all times?  What if you are alone, and want to wander off to a trivia session, then come back?  I guess you'd have to give up your seat right?  Yes they have a Solarium for 16 and above.  If leaving from a cold port and it is cold they allow under 16.  You cannot reserve a chair for longer than 30 minutes without being in it or your stuff may be taken.  Give up the seat and find a new one when you come back so others have a place to sit.

Buffet area.  What free drinks does it have during the day for free? Iced tea, lemonade, water, coffee, hot tea, milk, juice from concentrate

The soda machines that you can use if you buy the soda package with the special 'chip' cup.  Are there many of those soda machines placed around the ship? I believe 3 locations

'Cafe Select Coffee Card' I think would included iced lattes? Yes

That is the only 'premium' coffee I drink really, but I do like to drink that every day.  I was planning to just get the basic soda package for myself as I don't drink alcohol, but didn't think the 'Refreshment' package was worth it as I really am not into mocktails or juices. Go with refreshment package if you enjoy iced lattes and bottled water.  You will also be able to get mocktails and fresh made juice with it.

That being said, are the iced lattes a decent size?  The card is good for 15, it also says 50% off individually purchased coffees. There are 3 sizes, some ships require 2 punches for medium and 3 for large.

If I used the card on 15 iced lattes.  Could I then get 50% off future iced lattes? not sure

Izumi, is that just a sushi restaurant, or is it hibachi too?  If just sushi, can you order sushi to go, or is that just sit down?  If it is sit down, can you just order one thing, or is it a set meal (appetizer, plus entree, and dessert)?  Was confusing looking at dining options online.  I know my 2 daughters love sushi, but don't want them spending a fortune there!  lol Just sushi on this ship no hibachi.

Spa - there are no services, such as facials that a 15yr old could get done?  It shows a 'fruity facial' & one for acne, but then says the minimum age is 18yrs old! I believe you can take her but you must go with her. 

Hope this helps

12 minutes ago, NJsharon said:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NJsharon said:

I think theme nights can vary, but there's always a 70s night.

Yes, there is bingo.

Lots of game shows... Song titles/artists, love and marriage, battle of the sexes, quest.

Trivia every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Yes there is a solarium. It's nice and quiet. You won't see many kids there, as it's adults only, and especially Grandeur where there aren't many kids anyway. 

Grandeur is a smaller ship, so most activities happen in the schooner bar, theater, centrum, or South Pacific lounge. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NJsharon said:

Going on the Grandeur in July - just booked today!!!!

I think most of these questions are pretty broad & relate to Royal in general though.

Do they always do themed nights at one of the clubs on board the ship?  How do you know before the cruise if they are going to do them & what they are?  Like 80s night etc.  Any examples of theme nights & yes, do they always do a theme night? I have seen white night, and decade nights,  not always.  it will depend on the Activities manager

Silly question, but does Royal do bingo on board?  lol  I like to waste my money on bingo.  Yes I say that, as I have never won big on any of the cruises I have taken with other cruise lines, but I still love to play bingo!!!  If so, how often do they have games?  Is it paper or electronic boards?  yes to Bingo.   may or may not be the electronic ipad thingies.   

What kind of game shows do they have on the ship, and how often do they do those games?  define  game shows.   there will be various trivia events in a variety of themes( sports, music, etc) .  the marriage game( newlyweds,  old folks and somebody in between compete) 

Trivia games... do they do those fairly often?  What kind of trivia games, are there prizes, is it serious business or just for fun?   2-3 times a day every day for the most part. each will be a different theme.  there will always be one team that  is cutthroat.  

Solarium is on the Grandeur correct?  What time does that open in the morning & does it really get full very quickly?  It says 16+  But do they keep the 18-21yr old 'kids' in check or not?  Can you go early and 'reserve' a spot, then go grab breakfast, and come back, or do you have to be sitting on your seat at all times?  What if you are alone, and want to wander off to a trivia session, then come back?  I guess you'd have to give up your seat right?  no you may NOT save your seat.    at 18 they are not kids and have the same right to be there as you do and are subject to  the same  rules of etiquette.  the prime spots do fill up( and they are not the ones poolside)  

Buffet area.  What free drinks does it have during the day for free?  plain coffee, hot water for tea and  hot cocoa( packets)  at least one flavored water, iced tea and lemonade.    the flavored water is replaced with juice from concentrate at breakfast.. orange and  possibly cranberry or apple.  

[....]

Izumi, is that just a sushi restaurant, or is it hibachi too?  If just sushi, can you order sushi to go, or is that just sit down?  If it is sit down, can you just order one thing, or is it a set meal (appetizer, plus entree, and dessert)?  Was confusing looking at dining options online.  I know my 2 daughters love sushi, but don't want them spending a fortune there!  lol no hibachi.  to go will depend on the host.. sometimes yes, sometimes no.   not sure how they are running out now. a la carte or set price.  

Spa - there are no services, such as facials that a 15yr old could get done?  It shows a 'fruity facial' & one for acne, but then says the minimum age is 18yrs old!  there might be a an option on board that you and she could do together.   but they cannot use the spa without an adult.   

SO MANY QUESTIONS... so sorry.  

But if anyone can answer just one or two of these that would be wonderful.  Thank you!

I deleted the ones I have no direct experience with,  last time I was on GR they did not have the freestyle machines at all and the coffee card was also not a thing.  

I suggest taking the sushi making class if they offer hot.   you get a LOT of sushi for the price.  as for to go.. unless you plan on taking it down to the pool deck and eating it immediately, its not really smart to do so.  the on cabin coolers are not cold enough to keep the food safe to eat

2 minutes ago, spookwife said:

I deleted the ones I have no direct experience with,  last time I was on GR they did not have the freestyle machines at all and the coffee card was also not a thing.  

I suggest taking the sushi making class if they offer hot.   you get a LOT of sushi for the price.  as for to go.. unless you plan on taking it down to the pool deck and eating it immediately, its not really smart to do so.  the on cabin coolers are not cold enough to keep the food safe to eat

Thank you!

For Game Shows I had played the Price is Right on another cruise line, or things like that.  Can't remember the other games, but game show type things in the theater venue, on stage.

Good to hear about the Solarium.  I wasn't as worried about the age.  More so the behavior.  I guess Royal cruise line may be different, but as it was summer vacation time, college is out, I was worried that the age limit allows college age 'kids' in there & they may be loud & drinking.  If they have set rules though, then that is wonderful.  Thinking my husband or myself may want to spend some time there just relaxing.  So appreciate the information. 

3 minutes ago, NJsharon said:

Thank you!

For Game Shows I had played the Price is Right on another cruise line, or things like that.  Can't remember the other games, but game show type things in the theater venue, on stage.

Good to hear about the Solarium.  I wasn't as worried about the age.  More so the behavior.  I guess Royal cruise line may be different, but as it was summer vacation time, college is out, I was worried that the age limit allows college age 'kids' in there & they may be loud & drinking.  If they have set rules though, then that is wonderful.  Thinking my husband or myself may want to spend some time there just relaxing.  So appreciate the information. 

the louder  behavior happens at the main pool.  

Just now, spookwife said:

the louder  behavior happens at the main pool.  

That's good & that is totally fine.  That way if people want to have more fun & be with the excitement, they can go out to the main pool.  🙂 

Again, appreciate the information.

If you're simply leaving your chair at the pool to take a dip or go to the bathroom, just tell someone sitting near you "I'm taking a dip, etc..."that's still considered USING your chair.  If you're going to another activity, you give up your seat, so that others may enjoy.

You can get ice water at ANY bar or eating venue whenever you want.  Lemonade is in the WJ.  Coffee, Tea, milk and juice (at breakfast) are only in the eating venues.

15 hours ago, NJsharon said:

Silly question, but does Royal do bingo on board?  lol  I like to waste my money on bingo.  Yes I say that, as I have never won big on any of the cruises I have taken with other cruise lines, but I still love to play bingo!!!  If so, how often do they have games?  Is it paper or electronic boards?  They do have bingo, not sure how often.

What kind of game shows do they have on the ship, and how often do they do those games?  Love and Marriage, Battle of the Sexes, a rip off of Family Feud, and others.  Times vary, but each show is once.

Trivia games... do they do those fairly often?  What kind of trivia games, are there prizes, is it serious business or just for fun?  Several times a day.  Various themes.  There are prizes, but unless you consider a key chain or highlighter a big prize, they are not that serious.

Solarium is on the Grandeur correct?  What time does that open in the morning & does it really get full very quickly?  It says 16+  But do they keep the 18-21yr old 'kids' in check or not?  Can you go early and 'reserve' a spot, then go grab breakfast, and come back, or do you have to be sitting on your seat at all times?  What if you are alone, and want to wander off to a trivia session, then come back?  I guess you'd have to give up your seat right?  It depends.  30 minutes unoccupied is the rule.  But last cruise, there were always loungers open.

Buffet area.  What free drinks does it have during the day for free?

The soda machines that you can use if you buy the soda package with the special 'chip' cup.  Are there many of those soda machines placed around the ship?  Three, two in the buffet and one in the Centrum on Deck 5 or 6.

Izumi, is that just a sushi restaurant, or is it hibachi too?  If just sushi, can you order sushi to go, or is that just sit down?  If it is sit down, can you just order one thing, or is it a set meal (appetizer, plus entree, and dessert)?  Was confusing looking at dining options online.  I know my 2 daughters love sushi, but don't want them spending a fortune there!  lol  It is not just sushi, but no habachi.  They do have hot rocks.  Other meals include noodles and rice dishes.  I am not sure on the take out.  Probably can be done for sushi.  But I am sure not for the soups.

5 cruises on Lady G.  Last one a few weeks.  Some of the other posters have not been on her, or have forgotten.