Cruise Critic Community
mom4mom

Mark cruise cost $0

Can I mark $0 for price of cruise just to get the medical part of insurance?

While you can mark $0, this would prevent you from meeting eligibility requirements for a pre-existing medical conditions waiver. 

Would a price of $1 meet the eligibility requirement, or is pre-existing medical only covered if insuring the full cost?

We were scheduled on the Norwegian Star sailing from Santiago (SCL) Chili to Fort Lauderdale (FLL)                                        scheduled to depart on 14 March 2020.   We arrived 3 days early to allow for any travel delays and to explore the city.

Unfortunately, we were notified by email on Friday morning, 13 March that our cruise was cancelled.

We were offered a full refund and or 150% of our cruise price minus taxes and fees to be applied to a future cruise.

However, nothing about reimbursement for our travel to Santiago and the Flight we needed to book back to our home in                 Costa Rica (our return was booked from FLL Florida where we were scheduled to embark 15 days later.  Nor for the cost 

of our hotel that night, meals and transfers to and from the airport for an unexpected trip home.

Of course we had booked our flights on our own (not through the cruise line) so NCL was no help booking our flights home.

Basically telling us we were on our own.

When I tried to call I got a recorded message telling us how to obtain a refund or credit for another cruise with info available on March 23rd.

I then called the company whom I had purchase the travel insurance from through the NCL Website. 

Coverage was thought AON.   We had used them  in 2017 when we had to cancel a cruise due to a medical issue.

They were easy to work with and very helpful in this case too.

Unfortunately,  they were not prepared for this type of claim either.   As there were no guidelines or coverage in the event

the Cruise Line Cancels.   The young lady was very kind, sympathetic and helpful.  Spending about 30 minutes helping me

know the extent of what my coverage would pay and how much to expect the Insurance to cover as we made arrangements to travel home.

This was what she felt the coverage would pay with no questions asked.

Coverage - TRIP INTERRUPTION - Max Benefit of $500 per person   Includes coverage for Air, hotel, meals, taxi, etc.

Our return tickets were $522 per person on Avianca from SCL to SJO plus $40 for one bag.  Total $1084.00

Basically almost covering the air .   Our loss $84.00

When asked about our costs for travel to SCL she explained there was no coverage for this type of claim.

We traveled on AAdvantage Miles so our cost was minimal.  However, we lost those miles due to the cancellation.

Our friends traveling with us paid over $750 per person total $1500 for their tickets from SJO to SCL.

Their cancellation was sent while they were in route to Santiago and after a long day of travel arrived to find

the trip was cancelled.  They spent the night and we all flew back the next day on the same flight.

The agent suggested we submit all receipts, credit card charges for flights, meals, hotels, transfers and unreimbursed expenses incurred due to the cancellation.   Our return was on American from Fort Lauderdale which will be reimbursed or credited for future trips which is not a problem for us.   Our friends were traveling on Jet Blue who issued a credit for use through Dec 2020.  (not  a lot of flexibility)

Our friends are out over $2800 on airfare costs $2300 of which they say won't be covered under the insurance.

I know we are not the only ones with these problems.   There were many of us stranded together in Chili.

Thanks to Cruise Critic we have made friends and met many of our fellow travelers at a gathering before the cruise

and at the hotel where many of us were staying.    It was comforting to know we were not alone.

However, we all traveled to this port and others in Good Faith that our trip would happen.  We even received notification

of an upgrade the evening before the cancellation.  Many were retired and frequent guests on NCL.   Although, we appreciate the 150% credit on future cruises.   That amount is less than minimal compensation for what the cancellation cost us all financially not to mention, the mental and physical stress on many of the guests.

I am in the process of submitting our claims and encourage all of you to do the same.

I know the Insurance companies are doing the best they can to provide us the most compensation they can which is much appreciated.

Do you feel that the cruise lines should offer OBC or additional bonuses on future cruises to cover the costs we incurred that will not be reimbursed through insurance?

I understand the seriousness of the decision to cancel and that they had no choice based on all the obstacles associated

with the virus.    As loyal cruise passengers of NCL and all the other Cruise lines, we should be appreciated rather than left to incur all these costs with no comment or regard for our business.

I am sure I will receive some negative comments on this post but, felt strongly about my feelings and concerns.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I look forward to your response and comments.