Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

16 hours ago, dog said:

On Island Princess March 7-17th. Believe me, you will hear from me if there is any kind of outbreak.

We are going on with our lives as normal. Have no control over others, but always take precautions to stay healthy.

We are on the same cruise with you. I got a notice from Princess this morning stating that anyone who has been to mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 14 days prior to boarding will be denied boarding and given a full refund. It looks like they will check your passport to ensure that you have not been to effected areas. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, curlerguy said:

We are on the same cruise with you. I got a notice from Princess this morning stating that anyone who has been to mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 14 days prior to boarding will be denied boarding and given a full refund. It looks like they will check your passport to ensure that you have not been to effected areas. 

The Princess website further states that providing false information regarding areas the passenger has visited could result in legal consequences. They're clearly taking this VERY seriously.

"Shipboard staff will be scanning guest passports to verify transit through any of the prohibited areas. Given the serious nature of these circumstances, false responses on pre-boarding documents will result in immediate disembarkation at the next opportunity. Guests who do not disclose travel through prohibited areas in Asia may also face additional legal consequences."

next cruise scheduled - not until late November - western Caribbean

concerned? sure with everything going on

thinking of cancelling - not a chance at this early time

we're currently booked in an inside cabin at a very attractive rate with BEST2DG added on … to change to a balcony across the hall at current pricing would be over $ 200 per day for the 2 of us

have I been thinking about it … of course 

• Like 2

Our next cruise is in May, leaving from Warnemunde Germany.  I am not concerned.  After what happened on the Diamond Princess, I do think that Princess will err on the side of caution and cancel cruises if there is a high risk of a repeat situation.  Three months ago I wouldn't have felt this way as the financial considerations tended to win out, but it's a changed world out there.

Question for the people who are worried about cruising since coronavirus hit.   has any ship been hit with cases of the virus since Princess started to take precautions? It seems to me that the ships are as safe as they were before the virus hit. Please let me know if I am wrong.

10 minutes ago, cajinyank said:

Question for the people who are worried about cruising since coronavirus hit.   has any ship been hit with cases of the virus since Princess started to take precautions? It seems to me that the ships are as safe as they were before the virus hit. Please let me know if I am wrong.

It seems as though they are for the time being but I certainly wouldn't be booking a European or Asian trip at the moment. 

All cruise bookings are temporarily off for the moment. 

I'll let things blow over for a while.

Why take any chances?  

• Like 3

We have always felt safe with cruising.  Yes people get sick on ships but we believe no more than at an airport or on a plane and even at a grocery store.  You must keep washing hands using hand sanitizer etc.

Dennis

• Like 2

2 hours ago, curlerguy said:

The other part to notice I got was a reminder to check port requirements ie : Visas. Since there could be changes since this virus. Or something to that effect. 
we have a roll call come join. 

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Is 14 days really enough?  Shouldn't Princess up it to 30-90 days?  It seems like they still don't have any firm conclusions on incubation period, how long someone can spread the virus, etc.

The not knowing seems to be the main concern of most disease experts.....I suppose if it does become a pandemic and medical facilities become overwhelmed worldwide, like in China, there will be plenty of people not going anywhere either by their choice or government choices.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Is 14 days really enough?  Shouldn't Princess up it to 30-90 days?  It seems like they still don't have any firm conclusions on incubation period, how long someone can spread the virus, etc.

I wonder the same thing but it seems to be the duration everyone is ‘hanging their hat on’ for some reason. I guess they feel pretty confident it’s long enough. I sure hope they’re right. 

3 hours ago, BrennerM said:

I'm not overly concerned about catching/surviving the virus as my wife and I are healthy younger people (compared to cruise average ages).  But getting quarantined in our inside cabin for weeks just because one person got on the ship with the virus would be really bad.  That is a lot of time to spend in a tiny windowless box with one person, even someone you love.

We've paid our full fare for a mid-March cruise and we're still planning to go at this point but we are keeping a very close watch on the situation.  If the outbreaks in Italy/Korea/Iran continue to spread and more pop up around the world we might think twice about going.  We still have 3 weeks to decide.

This exactly my concern...being quarantined because of one person.  We are scheduled for late March.  We would be able to get 50% back if we cancel within the next few days.  We would use the refunded amount to do a local vacation...drive 4 hours away.

Edited by mthomp5

5 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

This exactly my concern...being quarantined because of one person.  We are scheduled for late March.  We would be able to get 50% back if we cancel within the next few days.  We would use the refunded amount to do a local vacation...drive 4 hours away.

Where does the cruise take you? 

On 2/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, gottagocit said:

With the large increase in the number of people now contracting this new virus in countries such as Italy, South a Korea and Japan and given the scenario that played out on the Diamond are you having second thoughts about cruising this spring/summer? 

We were on the Coral when this all began and didn’t really have any idea how it would evolve and weren’t yet concerned about it even with many passengers onboard from China, Hong King and other parts of Asia. But now it seems it may just a matter of time before every country is dealing with outbreaks and perhaps another ship having an one as well. Honestly I’m not sure I would take a cruise right now although we do have a Suez Canal and med cruise booked next year. With it scheduled that far out we are taking a ‘wait and see’ attitude for now. 

If you’re on a cruise now what is the vibe like onboard?  Notice any different practices with respect to crew serving food, cleaning...etc. one of the things that has always bothered me when cruising is the number of people coughing openly in public areas without regard to spreading their colds etc to others and this situation doesn’t help matters. Are those with apparent colds being allowed onboard?

No.

I have three more cruises for this year all Eastern Caribbean. Carnival, Royal and in 3 weeks Princess. I have no concerns about the virus. We will do what we always do. We take sanitary wipes and wipe down a lot in our room. basically anything everyone would normally touch. We walk around anyone that looks like they may not be well. if someone sneezes we walk way around them. If they are near us, we promptly leave. Wash our hands regularly and often. This time we will take the wipes with us to the buffet. Hold the serving spoons with them. Wipe down the table. So a bit more caution for now.

• Like 3

"Passport Scanning" for recent travel is probably ineffective as frequent travelers could have up to 10 years worth of non-chronological stamps.  Very time consuming.

Self-reporting of travel of physical symptoms is risky.

Body heat imaging devices catch those with active symptoms, but not those still in incubation.

For those flying to the port, more risks of which no one could be fully aware.

I have questions, but no answers.

I have 2 cruises totalling 49 days still booked in next 6 months. Being alert as this story unfolds.

The ships are safe, but the passengers are another question.  I would not be cavalier in dismissing COVID-19 and its transmissability.  The appearance and spread of this in Italy and Iran is surprising, and points out how  barriers of entry or travel may not be all that effective.  People are spreading it, and when it lands, it seems to take hold.  This could be the pandemic long predicted by infectious disease folks.  It wasn't H1N1, HPAI, MERS or SARS, but some virologists I know are jittery about this one.   This seems to be a very contagious virus, with an overall case fatality rate some 10-20 times that of influenza.  We're scheduled on a cruise in April, Sydney to LAX and will go, but we'll be keeping an eye out for risks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cajinyank said:

The Westerdam, Costa Smeralda, World Dream, Anthem of the Seas. All report people with the virus.

30 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Western Caribbean out of Ft.  Lauderdale.  Costa Maya, Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. 

I would probably be inclined to take it as planned but would not be crazy about the flights to/from Florida. 
The flight thing is probably mostly due to the long one we recently took to Argentina and back from Santiago which was enough for me for a while. Lol. 

• Thanks 1