Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mickeygirl78

Back to Back Questions

Recommended Posts

Last summer I booked the Freedom for 10/18/20. We have three rooms, interiors with promenade view (7607, 7611, 7613). We saw a really great price for the sailing the week prior so we booked 3 interior guarantees for the 10/11/20 sailing.

 

I’ve been searching but I’m hoping some of you can help fill me in.

 

- Since we won’t have the same rooms both weeks, do we just pack everything? Do we get tags and they move it for us? Or do we move it to the new room?

- Do we do the muster again on the second sailing?

- Do we need to tell guest services that we are on the second week or do they automatically know and provide info?

- We are planning to use the turn around day in San Juan as a port day and explore the island. I assume that’s allowed? 

 

Anything else I should know?

 

Thanks for your help! This is my first time doing two cruises in a row so I’m excited and nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. You pack everything NOT on hangers. They will move everything for you and hang the clothes. 

2. Yes, you have to do the muster drill the second week. 

3. Guest services may or may not know. I always check with them around the 3rd day of the first cruise to make sure they ay know. There will be a consecutive cruisers meeting, usually in the early afternoon of the last sea day, which will go over the specifics, including going off the ship on turnaround day. You should receive a letter in your stateroom with the date and time of that meeting. 

 

We have done many b2b on Freedom... Enjoy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mickeygirl78 said:

Last summer I booked the Freedom for 10/18/20. We have three rooms, interiors with promenade view (7607, 7611, 7613). We saw a really great price for the sailing the week prior so we booked 3 interior guarantees for the 10/11/20 sailing.

 

I’ve been searching but I’m hoping some of you can help fill me in.

 

- Since we won’t have the same rooms both weeks, do we just pack everything? Do we get tags and they move it for us? Or do we move it to the new room?

- Do we do the muster again on the second sailing?

- Do we need to tell guest services that we are on the second week or do they automatically know and provide info?

- We are planning to use the turn around day in San Juan as a port day and explore the island. I assume that’s allowed? 

 

Anything else I should know?

 

Thanks for your help! This is my first time doing two cruises in a row so I’m excited and nervous.

 

* Moving to your new cabins will be easy.  Pack all loose items from drawers, bathroom, etc...your clothes that are hanging, you can leave them hanging.  Everything will be moved for you to your new cabin.  Don't forget to clear/empty your safe.

* If you already printed luggage tags...use them. 

* Guest services usually knows you are B2B...but it wouldn't hurt to let them know.  It would also help if you introduce yourself to your new cabin steward.

* Yes, you will have to do the muster on the second cruise.  Note: For the Freedom out of San Juan, there are two musters...one around 4:30 and a second one for late passengers...the ship doesn't sail until around 8:30pm.

* Yes, you can leave the ship at turn-around day and explore the island.

 

other random info:

* There's usually a special lunch for B2B passengers.  Limited menu but  very nice.

* There's usually a meeting for all B2B passengers a couple of days before the end of the first sailing.  You can ask additional questions there.

* All B2B passengers will meet at a designated lounge on disembarkation day...you will use your old seapass card to clear out the ship and be given your new seapass card.  Customs/Immigration will be onboard for a quick check and hello.  B2B passengers (and the crew) will have the ship for themselves for about an hour.  New passengers typically board around 11am.

* If you decide to leave early, you can get your new seapass card from guest services.  You will also be given an "In-transit" card...so when you come back, you won't have to go through the line...just the security line of course.

* Uber is now available from the Pan American Pier.  There is no designated location for pick-up and drop-off for Uber...just simply walk across the street and meet your driver in the parking lot.

 

Envious...Happy Sailing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call Royal Caribbean or your TA. Explain your situation and ask if they can assist in finding you back-to-back cabins available on both sailings. It's a bit of a hassle and somewhat stressful (but not a whole lot) to have to switch cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mickeygirl78... Also each leg of your back to back cruise is considered two different cruises. If you have any non-refundable OBC on you first leg use it all or you'll lose it. OBC (non-refundable and refundable) is not transferable. On our March/April 2019 Freedom B2B cruise our muster drill was at 5:45 PM. All dining times were adjusted 30 minutes later that evening than the rest of the cruise. Go to the TAD meeting. Ours was held in the Viking Crown Lounge. A lot of good info especially if you've never done a B2B cruise before. You will also receive a detailed TAD letter in your cabin telling you where to meet, what time to meet and what to bring on your TAD. Once the TAD procedures are complete you can access your cabin at any time. The fire doors will be closed to the cabin hall ways but not locked. You can open them but  just make sure you close the door behind you. All of our B2B cruises have been well organized. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other minor points.  Immigration may or may not board the ship to clear you.  More likely your B2B group will be the last people escorted off the ship, you go through immigration, get new cards and right back on before others board.  Typically this is 9:30-10:30.  If you are going into town instead, you will usually get your new cruise cards the night before and you can get off at any time.  Then you are not allowed back on until boarding (they have to zero the passenger count).  You will need your passports going out through immigration, but not to get back on since you already have your room key and have checked in.  Doesn't hurt to have it but no reason for anyone to ask for it.  In-Transit card and room key get you through security and allows you in hallways while cabins are being cleaned.

 

Coordinating with your old and new stewards is important - they will move your luggage and hanging clothes.  Once the old occupants of your new cabin leave you can move your safe contents into the new cabin (preferred).  

 

The Pan American pier is across the bay from Old Town, adjacent to a small airport.  Not walkable into town, but you can easily pick up a cab with the passengers getting off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B2B have to run a muster station just to check that you payed full attention the first time ,you will have to go to a training session end of first leg , but you get to wear a fluro Ask Me A Question over all .😉🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Call Royal Caribbean or your TA. Explain your situation and ask if they can assist in finding you back-to-back cabins available on both sailings. It's a bit of a hassle and somewhat stressful (but not a whole lot) to have to switch cabins.

 

The OP said that they booked guarantees.  No wiggle room on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing not mentioned is all 3 cabins can bring 4 bottles of wine ( I would also assume 2-12 packs of non alcoholic drinks as well) 

Make sure to have both boarding passes when you go through security 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

One thing not mentioned is all 3 cabins can bring 4 bottles of wine ( I would also assume 2-12 packs of non alcoholic drinks as well) 

Make sure to have both boarding passes when you go through security 

 

The wine allowance is only for a cabin with a 21+ year old passenger in it.  The OP did not specify, so I wanted to make that clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

One thing not mentioned is all 3 cabins can bring 4 bottles of wine ( I would also assume 2-12 packs of non alcoholic drinks as well) 

Make sure to have both boarding passes when you go through security 

2 Bottles per stateroom, one 12 pack soda/water per stateroom. All carry on, not checked baggage. Only need have first Cruise Boarding Pass in hand, second not needed while boarding ship...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

2 Bottles per stateroom, one 12 pack soda/water per stateroom. All carry on, not checked baggage. Only need have first Cruise Boarding Pass in hand, second not needed while boarding ship...

They can bring 4 bottles with both Boarding Passes if they don't want to hunt for their preferred wine on the turn around day. 

I have heard some ships will hold 2 bottles and some ships don't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've never done a B2B on a ship smaller than an Oasis class, but on said class they generally do a special lunch for those who're staying on. In our experience they've been at Jamie's and Giovanni's, but I've read that they've also done it in the MDR so maybe if you're planning on heading into town that day you may hit lucky with a 'spec' restaurant lunch!

 

Have fun - there's something a little bit special about a B2B cruise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

They can bring 4 bottles with both Boarding Passes if they don't want to hunt for their preferred wine on the turn around day. 

I have heard some ships will hold 2 bottles and some ships don't 

Yup, forgot that some Ports will hold. Cant remember which but atleast one my kids went to they wouldnt so in the trash it went...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for all this great information! 
 

the reason we didn’t try to switch rooms for week 2 to book the same week 1 was because we have a family promenade for one room and didn’t see any other family rooms available. We really liked the rooms we picked and figured it was worth the hassle of switching.

 

I had not thought of putting our new luggage tags on for week 2, great advice just in case. I will plan to speak to both our old/new stewards. I’m looking forward to a new experience.

 

btw - we do have people over 21 in all 3 rooms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup, forgot that some Ports will hold. Cant remember which but atleast one my kids went to they wouldnt so in the trash it went...

WOW!! I never heard of any ships that made them through it in the trash. The ones that didn't hold it let them keep all 4 bottles with them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't done a B2B yet - scheduled for next year. But I think I remember reading that if you have refundable OBC and don't use it all the first week you can move the balance to week 2. Anyone done this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cruising Nona said:

Haven't done a B2B yet - scheduled for next year. But I think I remember reading that if you have refundable OBC and don't use it all the first week you can move the balance to week 2. Anyone done this?

The exact opposite is true.

 

They are two totally separate cruises.

 

Cash it out on the last night

 

🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cruising Nona said:

Haven't done a B2B yet - scheduled for next year. But I think I remember reading that if you have refundable OBC and don't use it all the first week you can move the balance to week 2. Anyone done this?

Not true. The refundable OBC will be automatically  credited back to your CC if you don't cash it out before the first leg is over. Nothing transfers over as each leg of a B2B cruises is two different cruises. Also make sure to spend all your non refundable OBC. Use it or lose it. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember , do not put your luggage in the hall on the last night of your first cruise, keep it in your room!! otherwise, it will end up off the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. So if there is left over OBC and I cash it out can I put the cash on the account for week 2 as a credit? Really don't forsee not spending it all, but just in case....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Just remember , do not put your luggage in the hall on the last night of your first cruise, keep it in your room!! otherwise, it will end up off the ship.

That would be a nightmare!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup, forgot that some Ports will hold. Cant remember which but atleast one my kids went to they wouldnt so in the trash it went...

Amazing, I’ve never heard of them trashing Wine designated for your second week.

 

in fact, we’ve done at least 15 back to back cruises, and we’ve never had a problem bringing wine for both cruises on board. We usually have the second cruise paperwork in our hand and occasionally it has been reviewed. The times they questioned our extra bottles, they never took them, they let us bring them aboard because we had proof of the back to back. All of our back to back’s have been from US sports so I can’t address foreign port procedures 

 

I am surprised to learn of this but I guess anything can happen

 

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cruising Nona said:

Thanks for the info. So if there is left over OBC and I cash it out can I put the cash on the account for week 2 as a credit? Really don't forsee not spending it all, but just in case....

 

Sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Call Royal Caribbean or your TA. Explain your situation and ask if they can assist in finding you back-to-back cabins available on both sailings. It's a bit of a hassle and somewhat stressful (but not a whole lot) to have to switch cabins.

We've had luck doing this on several B2B cruises. Since we always book direct, I'm not sure how the process would work through a TA, but the C&A agents have usually been able to find us matching cabins on both legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...