Independence of the Seas - Newbie questions

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

I haven't been on RCCL in a long time, since 2000 on Explorer of the Seas.  Looking at a cheap Independence of the Seas cruise and had a few questions.

I normally book inside, and or oceanview.  What's the biggest bang for the buck.  I'm seeing 160sqft rooms mostly, which is Tiny, I know Carnival has like 185-190.  It's a big

difference as NCL has the same 160sqft which I wasn't fond of, especially with no window.  Any suggestions?

Has anyone been on this ship recently? How are the activities for an 8 year old active boy?  He loves ropes courses, mini golf, water slides.

In regards to Cococay, I see there is a small little water park area.  Are the lines insane with 3000-4000 people?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaprofitt said:

Has anyone been on this ship recently? How are the activities for an 8 year old active boy?  He loves ropes courses, mini golf, water slides.

we are from Atlanta area as well, and have already been on Indy twice. It was our DS's very first cruise at 3, and I just booked the Thanksgiving cruise on it for this year. He is turning 9 shortly.  Oh, and we got the inside cabin. RCI ships have so much to do, we only sleep in the cabin.

Your son will LOVE it!

while cruising, DS loves ice skating, rock climbing, waterslides, he may even try boogie boarding this year on surf simulator, and the trampoline!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Remember, not all passengers have kids...and there will be plenty with kids who don't want to pay extra for the "waterpark"...you can always decide once you get there, if it's worth the money.  You can have a lovely beach day without spending extra!

In regard to your Coco Cay question: if there is more than one Freedom Class or larger ship in port, yes it could get very crowded at the Thrill Waterpark.   However, I don’t think it’s necessary to pay the extra money for it.  First of all, there are slides on the ship your son can enjoy.  Secondly, there is a large splash pad area with two dumping buckets, lots of spray/splash/fountain features, as well as three smaller slides that are included.  There is a pirate ship splash scape as well.   In addition to the giant freshwater pool, the activities (both formal and informal) on the beach like volleyball, races and contests organized by the recreation crew, and much more, it truly isn’t necessary to spend an extra dime. There are free lockers, and a ton of lounge chairs, tables, and umbrellas all over.  The drinks are included in your package, and the food at the extensive beach buffet and the snack shack are also included.   Have a great time!

• Like 1

I'm also thinking of booking this ship too. The reviews have been pretty poor lately with talk of awful food, dirty common soaces, worn out carpet/outdated cabins, rude staff. I realize some people are extremely picky and will never be happy and lots of people do negative reviews while the good aren't seen. Is the ship really that bad? I'm hoping not.

9 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

I'm also thinking of booking this ship too. The reviews have been pretty poor lately with talk of awful food, dirty common soaces, worn out carpet/outdated cabins, rude staff. I realize some people are extremely picky and will never be happy and lots of people do negative reviews while the good aren't seen. Is the ship really that bad? I'm hoping not.

We were on Independence of the seas in February.  We had so much fun we booked another trip on her over the summer.

With the exception of our room steward, all of the staff was great.  One night my vegetarian daughter asked for the vegan menu.  She had it waiting for her every night.  She ordered first incase the vegan item took longer than the regular items.

This was the first cruise that the more than one bar staff remembered my name.  

4 minutes ago, ljmandelbaum said:

We were on Independence of the seas in February.  We had so much fun we booked another trip on her over the summer.

With the exception of our room steward, all of the staff was great.  One night my vegetarian daughter asked for the vegan menu.  She had it waiting for her every night. 

please tell 😉 

We’re on Indy right now and LOVING this ship.  We’re in the newer panoramic rooms, so ours is in great shape. But the entire ship seemed in good shape to me. There are a ton of activities, especially for those ages.  The FloRider, trampoline thing, pools, ice skating, kids club (seriously, my kid begs to go)...

• Like 2