Cruise Critic Community
craykclan

After Cruise stay.

We are staying at the Residence Inn in Newark/Elizabeth but before the cruise and after.. my question is because we dock so early in the morning and we can leave pretty much anytime we want, then what do we do between the time we get off of the ship and the time we can check in? Has anyone called the hotel and asked to check in early?

Never been to this hotel but when this happens to us the hotel always checked our luggage and we went off and came back later.

I thought so, but we will be on foot so no where really to go.. I guess we could just sit in the lobby.

2 hours ago, craykclan said:

Has anyone called the hotel and asked to check in early?

Early check in can be a benefit with some frequent stay programs that hotels run or through credit cards like American Express. But it's also something thats frequently given if they have the rooms from the night before. It's always worth an ask. 

The only way to guarantee an early check in would be to book the night prior to you arriving and let the hotel know-- we've done this a few times when flying a redeye flight and want the room available at 6,7,8am when we show up. 

Because the plane tickets that we can afford have us flying at 5:30 am, we will stay over and then fly out the next day

39 minutes ago, craykclan said:

Because the plane tickets that we can afford have us flying at 5:30 am, we will stay over and then fly out the next day

You don’t need to sit in a hotel lobby, Uber and Lyft have a solid presence. Liberty science center is close by, and the ferry to Ellis island/SOL. There are also hotels in the area with better public transportation to manhattan. 

Thanks but I don't do big cities.. the scare the crap out of me.. I live in Wyoming where the cattle out number the people!

2 minutes ago, craykclan said:

Thanks but I don't do big cities.. the scare the crap out of me.. I live in Wyoming where the cattle out number the people!

Ok but if you change your mind about leaving the hotel, Liberty state park is a 15 minute $15 uber, you can buy tickets online for the ferry, Ellis island is fascinating and the views of nyc from the SOL island are breathtaking, and you never need to step foot into a city.

3 hours ago, craykclan said:

We are staying at the Residence Inn in Newark/Elizabeth but before the cruise and after.. my question is because we dock so early in the morning and we can leave pretty much anytime we want, then what do we do between the time we get off of the ship and the time we can check in? Has anyone called the hotel and asked to check in early?

Are you Marriott Bonvoy members? If not, join, download the app, and make sure your Bonvoy number is on the reservation. Then do mobile check-in 48 hours out for 9:00 a.m. No guarantee the room will be ready, but frankly most people who are checking out leave Residence Inns first thing in the morning, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had a room by 9-10.

Yes I am a member so I will have our travel agent call them and make sure they have my number

15 minutes ago, craykclan said:

Yes I am a member so I will have our travel agent call them and make sure they have my number

If they've got your number, the reservation will be in the Marriott App and in your account on Marriott.com. Easy check.

good luck;  will they shuttle you to airport?

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

good luck;  will they shuttle you to airport?

All the “Newark Airport” hotels offer a free shuttle to and from the P4 Airtrain Station.  Even some of the hotels in downtown Newark and Staten Island offer shuttles as well.

138east; good to know thank you.  have fun out there

If the hotel wasn't sold out the night before, chances are good that they'll let you in early.  I've stayed there often and I can't think of a time when I  haven't been able to check in well before the appointed time.  I do use the app to check in, and note early check in on my reservation.

It may help that I am Titanium Lifetime and that I stay there quite a bit, but, being an airport hotel, people come and go at all hours and the housekeepers start around 8 AM during the week and they turn the rooms fast.  You can wait in the lobby, it's quite comfy.  

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

It may help that I am Titanium Lifetime

Yes. That helps...😀 (Likewise)

5 hours ago, markeb said:

Yes. That helps...😀 (Likewise)

In that case, you should be good.  Use the chat function when you get the check in notice!  😉

1 minute ago, megr1125 said:

In that case, you should be good.  Use the chat function when you get the check in notice!  😉

Unfortunately, I'm not the OP...

On 2/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, markeb said:

If they've got your number, the reservation will be in the Marriott App and in your account on Marriott.com. Easy check.

Yep and I check yesterday, they have our requests for early check in both the day before the cruise and the day we get back from the cruise. so keep your fingers crossed