Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
firstimerhaven

Can I order drinks for my teenagers?

Recommended Posts

We are going to be on the Escape for spring break.  Two teenagers, 14 and 18.  They have the "soda" package, and my husband and I have the unlimited drinks package (don't remember what it's called.  the $99/day one).  If my kids want a virgin daquari or whatever, which is included with my package but not theirs, can I just order it for them?  We are staying in the Haven and will mostly be eating there or specialty restaurants, if that makes any difference.  Also, if I order drinks in the Haven lounge, can I then carry them elsewhere on the ship?  I'm thinking it will be easier to be served there just because of the lack of crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the Escape a few years ago and whatever I was ordering for me, I was ordering a virgin one for my daughter without any problem.  At first she was always coming to the bar with me, but after a few days, I was just ordering without her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, julie1963 said:

I was on the Escape a few years ago and whatever I was ordering for me, I was ordering a virgin one for my daughter without any problem.  At first she was always coming to the bar with me, but after a few days, I was just ordering without her.

 

Technically, this should not be done.  However...if you are not "concealing" the fact that the drink is for someone else, then it becomes the bartender's responsibility to either charge --- or not charge  🙂

Helpful hint...just be honest and even slip the bartender a tip early on and you will get the good results!

26 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

We are staying in the Haven and will mostly be eating there or specialty restaurants, if that makes any difference.  Also, if I order drinks in the Haven lounge, can I then carry them elsewhere on the ship?  I'm thinking it will be easier to be served there just because of the lack of crowds.

As far as bringing drinks out of the Haven...That is absolutely allowed...Take advantage of their great bar service and don't fight for a drink elsewhere if you don't have to!

 

Enjoy the Escape...it's great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

We are going to be on the Escape for spring break.  Two teenagers, 14 and 18.  They have the "soda" package, and my husband and I have the unlimited drinks package (don't remember what it's called.  the $99/day one).  If my kids want a virgin daquari or whatever, which is included with my package but not theirs, can I just order it for them?  We are staying in the Haven and will mostly be eating there or specialty restaurants, if that makes any difference.  Also, if I order drinks in the Haven lounge, can I then carry them elsewhere on the ship?  I'm thinking it will be easier to be served there just because of the lack of crowds.

You can certainly order "virgin drinks" for your two kids. Just remember to tell your server/bartender that these drinks are for your kids so they can charge your account accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially ordering drinks for someone else is against the T&Cs of the drink package and could result in getting your drink package revoked.

 

Whether that happens or not, no one can say. But no, officially you cannot order drinks for your children using your drink package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have done this often, never lied about who they were for, and never been charged for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

we have done this often, never lied about who they were for, and never been charged for them.

Same here, even though my kids had drink packages. We all had soda packages. I ordered for them and took to table. Nobody ever asked for their card. Yes, I consider it stealing if your kids don't have drink packages and you do and you get them drinks. I did however, have my NCL rep suggest to me to do this on a booking. My wife and I get unlimited drink package with a booking and just order soda or virgin drinks for our kids. I guess it depends on your personal integrity and if the bartenders ask for the cards or not. After a couple days, the bartenders knew my kids and just gave them whatever without asking. Non-alcoholic drinks that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pool servers asked me what my kids wanted and they knew they didn’t have the drink package . I didn’t even have to ask them ..... This of course after cash tipping pool side $2 a round . I have not been charged anything for virgin drinks fo my young daughters when we sailed the Escape, Bliss , or Sun ..... Maybe lucky or maybe money talks .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rjm11 said:

we have done this often, never lied about who they were for, and never been charged for them.

 

This has always been our experience.

 

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

"Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable."

 

This is the rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

 

This is the rule.

“Guests are not permitted to smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipe, electronic cigarettes and vapor devices in their staterooms or on their balconies.”

“With the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board NCL ships.”

“No running, jumping or diving are permitted in the pool area.”

“Guests must be at least 18 years of age to receive treatments or utilize the spa facilities unless participating in the kids or teens program.”

“Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard.”

We should follow rules to have a disciplined society.  Rules are put in place to provide order and consequence for actions.  Most cruise lines now have beverage packages that require each adult in the cabin buy the package to prevent drink sharing, in essence penalizing non-drinkers.  Convenience does not justify breaking a rule.

Not a sermon; just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially ordering drinks for someone else is against the T&Cs of the drink package and could result in getting your drink package revoked.

 

If it is revoked you may well be charged for ALL of the drinks that you have had using the package.   Yes they do know what you have drunk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in the Haven and my husband and I had the adult beverage package and our three three kids had the soda package.  The Haven bartender and restaurant staff gave my kids any non-alcoholic drinks they wanted.  Shirley temples, virgin mojitos, etc.  The kids got these in the Haven only, and we never saw any charges for it.  We didn’t order for them either (they were 13, 14, and 17).

 

No idea what happens outside the Haven, we didn’t let them go to any other bar areas.

Edited by AliceIn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Epic last summer with several families all with drink packages.  If we only ordered one drink, the servers always asked us if our kids wanted anything.  There were a couple times that we got sodas or virgin drinks.  No charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

 

 

We should follow rules to have a disciplined society.  Rules are put in place to provide order and consequence for actions.  Most cruise lines now have beverage packages that require each adult in the cabin buy the package to prevent drink sharing, in essence penalizing non-drinkers.  Convenience does not justify breaking a rule.

 

Not a sermon; just a thought.

 

I generally agree with this. But alot of people here weren't "breaking the rules". If you walk up to the bar with your daughter, and say I want a pina colada, and your daughter says she wants a virgin pina colada. Then you give the bartender your cards and he chooses not to charge you, you haven't broken any rules. If you were to force cash upon him since you were determined not to let it slide, he would just accept it as a tip. Don't see any way around this unless you felt the need to report him to a supervisor which would just get a well meaning bartender in trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, firstimerhaven said:

We are going to be on the Escape for spring break.  Two teenagers, 14 and 18.  They have the "soda" package, and my husband and I have the unlimited drinks package (don't remember what it's called.  the $99/day one).  If my kids want a virgin daquari or whatever, which is included with my package but not theirs, can I just order it for them?  We are staying in the Haven and will mostly be eating there or specialty restaurants, if that makes any difference.  Also, if I order drinks in the Haven lounge, can I then carry them elsewhere on the ship?  I'm thinking it will be easier to be served there just because of the lack of crowds.

You can also go to guest services and sign an alcohol waiver and your 18 year old can order beer and wine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week on Breakaway.

 

Walk up to Bar with one card.

 

Order 2 Adult drinks and a Virgin(3 drinks) and they never ever said a word about it!

 

They could care less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do it all the time for non-alcoholics. You will be fine. I believe as long as you order two or less drinks per transaction, no one will question you. Because often, two people are staying in the same room and one person goes to get the drinks for both people. I also always Bring a stack of $1s and drop them everywhere I go, which doesn't hurt either...although this might create favouritism, its not my intention to do so...I just like to reward the bartenders for hard work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the liquor package once (when we had a suite and it was given to us). We do not drink at all so we got virgin drinks for the grandkids. The bar tender saw us hand it to the kids.  We would usually hit the same bar daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...