Celebrity Travel Advisory Important update

az_tchr

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I feel for you! We’re on our second try for the Italy & the Greek Isles (had to cancel our 2018 cruise due to family and work issues). We’re to sail from Civitavecchia in May, and we’re also celebrating our anniversary. We’re past final payment, so all we can do is wait and hope everything calms down within a few weeks. I hope you’ll be able to celebrate your anniversary as planned🌺

Thank you! I hope you have smooth sailing to celebrate your anniversary, too. 🌻

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

There are several dozen cases in the USA.  Are we going to start banning them too?

The great majority of USA cases are those brought in from Japan so It’s not as if the virus is being spread person-persons...yet. So that’s why.

Den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

The great majority of USA cases are those brought in from Japan so It’s not as if the virus is being spread person-persons...yet. So that’s why.

Den

That plus the fact that there have been no deaths in the US attributable to COVID-19.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Royal Caribbean owns two-thirds of the stock and operates Silversea.  As such, I believe the same restrictions apply to Silversea. 

Yes, I’m aware of that. i tried to get the RCL stockholders OBC for the Silverseas cruise but told no go......oh well. As to other Lines putting the Northern Italy restriction, I checked Carnival website and it doesn’t have an update adding Lombardy or Veneto, just the Asian ports. No date of their Advisory, so......

Den

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding is only if from the regions listed in the alert, which are located near Milan and Venice.   I'm sure this could change as things are fluid.   The e-mail doesn't say they will be denied boarding. 

The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal:

• Any guest who has travelled to, from, or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand or Italy (all regions other than Lombardy and Veneto) in the past 15 days.

It denies boarding on the Australian site:

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.

I havent received any emails from Celebrity.  I have received multiple emails re booking my next cruise. 

Edited by Pushka

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

Yes, I’m aware of that. i tried to get the RCL stockholders OBC for the Silverseas cruise but told no go......oh well. As to other Lines putting the Northern Italy restriction, I checked Carnival website and it doesn’t have an update adding Lombardy or Veneto, just the Asian ports. No date of their Advisory, so......

Den

Carnival was a few days behind Royal Caribbean in imposing restrictions on Hong Kong.  That did not work out so well for them, with the Diamond Princess.  Carnival owns Costa, which has a ship currently in the Mediterranean, with scheduled stops in Italy.    

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

That’s interesting.  I’ve seen the letter posted but the posters did not say what cruise they were sailing.  It makes more sense that it is specific to Caribbean cruises because it makes absolutely no sense in reference to cruises originating from Venice.

I received the letter today via email. We are sailing on the Equinox in the Caribbean on March 14.

It's been a long time since I traveled Northern Italy, but this would all but exclude any land-based travel from north of the Alps. Yes, you can traverse Liguria along the coast, but I'm not sure how practical that is; it's a pretty narrow region, and could easily be added to the exclusion. Which would mean even Europeans that might normally drive or take a train across Italy would be cut off and have to fly to Rome or Naples for a cruise. And assume they had no contact with anyone from those regions elsewhere in Italy. 

Interestingly, the Italian government is not trying to limit the Schengen open borders, so there's a small section of Italy where they're telling their own residents not to go in or out, but anyone in the Schengen zone can move into Italy...

This will get even more interesting over the next few days...

2 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Could be some significant loss of money for those denied boarding - probably no refund from the cruise line and insurance may well not cover due to "act of God" type clause.

Celebrity's advisory provides:

"All guests that are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds."

I do not know what they would do with airfare, if you did not buy it through Celebrity.

11 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Could be some significant loss of money for those denied boarding - probably no refund from the cruise line and insurance may well not cover due to "act of God" type clause.

Celebrity will give complete refunds to people denied boarding and will get them home if they used Celebrity Flights.  This was confirmed in my conversation with Lisa Perloff-Lutoff’s office this afternoon.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

It's been a long time since I traveled Northern Italy, but this would all but exclude any land-based travel from north of the Alps. Yes, you can traverse Liguria along the coast, but I'm not sure how practical that is; it's a pretty narrow region, and could easily be added to the exclusion. Which would mean even Europeans that might normally drive or take a train across Italy would be cut off and have to fly to Rome or Naples for a cruise. And assume they had no contact with anyone from those regions elsewhere in Italy. 

Interestingly, the Italian government is not trying to limit the Schengen open borders, so there's a small section of Italy where they're telling their own residents not to go in or out, but anyone in the Schengen zone can move into Italy...

This will get even more interesting over the next few days...

We’re now being told to self-isolate if you have visited anywhere in Italy north of Pisa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51625733

Additionally, an Italian doctor has tested positive while holidaying in Tenerife, Spain. This could potentially cause more problems because last week was half-term in England and many families visit the Canaries for some warm weather during our winter. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51625123

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8040361/New-coronavirus-fears-tourists-Italian-doctor-tests-positive-holidaying-Tenerife.html

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

Coronavirus is becoming more and more of a topic, especially when it comes to traveling.  Celebrity recently (yesterday) updated their guidelines for who can and cannot cruise with them based on criteria developed by discussions with professionals in the health industry, WHO, CDC, etc.  They also set secondary screening guidelines for individuals that have traveled through certain countries within 15 days.

How can this effectively be enforced?  I believe the short answer is that it can't.  

Truly they are depending on individuals being HONEST when they are checking in and being screened.  It becomes a logistic nightmare to determine where an individual may have traveled prior to embarking on a cruise.  I was in Singapore 3 weeks ago.  I have been back in the States for over 2 weeks.  Will the check in agent go through each and every passport?  Will they be able to read each stamp in the book and understand what they are looking at?  Aside from my honesty, how would one determine my course of travel and where I had been outside of the United States within the past couple weeks.  

Below is the email being sent by Celebrity to passengers cruising the Caribbean in the coming weeks.  Does anyone see how this can effectively be enforced?

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some new and updated information regarding your upcoming travel plans.  

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience. After further consultation with public health authorities and medical experts, we have decided that any guest, or crewmember, who has traveled to, from, or through China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto within 15 days of departure will be unable to board our ships. As well as coming in to contact with people who reside in these areas – this includes guests who had connecting flights in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.  Additionally, anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms will not be permitted to sail. 

As a result, it is imperative that you check your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

We have elected to take this precautionary step due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal:

• Any guest who has travelled to, from, or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand or Italy (all regions other than Lombardy and Veneto) in the past 15 days.

• Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand or Italy, in the past 15 days.

Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

We’ve also taken numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards onboard our ships: 

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing.
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day.
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing.

• Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests and crew. 

• Plus, the Captain will make daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.

• Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist. 

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us  for a complete list of global contact information. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Edited by cruisehabits

I realize it is a VERY fluid situation.  I was on Celebrity Millennium for the 01 FEB cruise that departed Singapore and was cut short due to Celebrity determining they were not able to deliver the vacation they had intended.

The crew on the Millennium did an exceptional job based on the unprecedented circumstances.

It is very important that Celebrity is addressing it.  However the check in process would have to change drastically in order to properly ensure the guidelines are followed in good faith.  The majority, if not all, of the check in agents are not employed by Celebrity.  They are sub-contracted by Celebrity to facilitate the boarding process.

If each and every passport had to be physically reviewed page by page would be way too time consuming to embark on time.  I personally have stamps in my passport that can barely be read.  Whether it be very lightly ink stamped, smudged when the immigration officers stamped it, etc.

I have a cruise booked for March in the Caribbean and at this point intend to go.  I will continue to educate myself as best as possible.  I also clean my own cabin once we are inside before getting settled in with luggage, bags, etc.  I carry lysol/clorox bleach wipes with me and use them for this purpose.  

Also washing your hands more frequently than you would normally, keeping them away from your face/nose/eyes and mouth certainly goes a long way when it comes to contracting a virus as well.

Certainly I pray all will take a better course and soon!

Safe travels to all!  🙂

Edited by cruisehabits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisehabits said:

I realize it is a VERY fluid situation.  I was on Celebrity Millennium for the 01 FEB cruise that departed Singapore and was cut short due to them determining they were not able to deliver the vacation they had promised.

The crew on the Millennium did an exceptional job based on the unprecedented circumstances.

It is very important that Celebrity is addressing it.  However the check in process would have to change drastically in order to properly ensure the guidelines are followed in good faith.  The majority, if not all, of the check in agents are not employed by Celebrity.  They are sub-contracted by Celebrity to facilitate the boarding process.

If each and every passport had to be physically reviewed page by page would be way too time consuming to embark on time.  I personally have stamps in my passport that can barely be read.  Whether it be very lightly ink stamped, smudged when the immigration officers stamped it, etc.

I have a cruise booked for March in the Caribbean and at this point intend to go.  I will continue to educate myself as best as possible.  I also clean my own cabin once we are inside before getting settled in with luggage, bags, etc.  I carry lysol/clorox bleach wipes with me and use them for this purpose.  

Also washing your hands more frequently than you would normally, keeping them away from your face/nose/eyes and mouth certainly goes a long way when it comes to contracting a virus as well.

Certainly I pray all will take a better course and soon!

Safe travels to all!  🙂

Also, since the airplanes really aren't cleaned between flights, important to wipe down your seats, screens and trays- anything you touch.  In addition, they do not replace the magazines after each flight- So don't read them.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not much anyone can do about re circulated air on airplanes...or AC systems. Trvl companies can only do their best and learn from past errors..like Diamond Princess

The Diamond Princess 😮 ....what a terrible situation!  Very sad that 4 passengers have died and almost 700 infected.

Although no word of a lawsuit has surfaced.....you can bet someone...somewhere will travel that route.  When THAT many people become infected you have to wonder if all that could have been done...was actually done.

The loss of life worldwide is quite sad and as I mentioned above....truly pray that a better course for things is ahead.

Safe travels to all!  🙂

• Like 1

I agree with the OP in that it is impossible for Celebrity to effectively enforce their guidlines.  There are too many variables which cannot be controlled....many of which rely on the integrity and honour of the traveller to self disclose.

Many of us have seen the effects of noro and how ineffective the current system is.  Five years ago we had a noro breakout on a cruise...they were deep cleaning the second morning .....obviously someone came on the ship in a very sick condition.

With Covid 19 many people do not exhibit symptons and may not know they have been infected.

Using people of Chinese ancestry as an example, many Chinese people hold dual citizenship and use other countries' passports for travel, however, they have to use a Chinese passport when travelling to and from China...their entry to China will not appear in their other passport.....

Unfortunately, more form that function.

Having said that, we have a Carribean cruise booked in April and at this point in time have no plans to cancel. We will not be flying, and to major extent will be relying on the integrity of other passengers to self disclose.

We consider the risk of exposure to be very low.  time will tell.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 1

When I checked into my cruise on 10 February, the agent did go through every page of my passport and came upon my Chinese visa, which I pointed out was from five years ago. She said thank you and continued going through the rest of the passport. She looked at it page by page. It might slow your check in process by a few minutes but I hope they do that for all passports.

• Like 2

But the problem is that you do not need a passport to do the closed loop cruise in the Caribbean.  Yes, if you have traveled to the areas pinpointed, you would have had to have a passport.  But if you have traveled there and could be refused boarding, you could choose to travel on a birth certificate and no agent would be the wiser.  I am wondering if when they swipe your passport, it can show where you have traveled during the life of that passport.  And then the cruise lines could all go to requiring passports.  EM

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

When I checked into my cruise on 10 February, the agent did go through every page of my passport and came upon my Chinese visa, which I pointed out was from five years ago. She said thank you and continued going through the rest of the passport. She looked at it page by page. It might slow your check in process by a few minutes but I hope they do that for all passports.

And you could have sat right next to someone from one of the banned places on your flight (several hours) to the ship. How would you know? You wouldn’t be aware. That’s the issue here, what’s in your passport wouldn’t show that. Hence the OP’s initial question.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pushka said:

Making it unenforcable then in all practicality. A CYA exercise to be blunt as Celebrity simply cannot enforce that or even have any knowledge of it. We have caught the trains throughout Italy.

To be clear the bans on Veneto and Lombardy are not from Celebrity but from the overalI association of cruise lines. Two other lines cancelled all Venice cruises yesterday.