Celebrity Travel Advisory Important update

az_tchr

3 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

The bigger question is what are passengers signing before they board? Or how are they acknowledging that they haven't been to those places?

It seems to me that if passengers acknowledge and confirm that they have not been to one of those regions before boarding, and they lie and board, and are later sick, and others on the ship become sick or the ship is quarantined costing the cruiseline a significant amount of money, the cruiseline may be able to sue the passenger for damages.

I never heard of this being done, but my understanding of contracts are that they work both ways, protecting both parties -- cruiseline and passengers.  Some of these passengers are very wealthy.   If you get a group that violates the rule and there's an outbreak, the cruiselines may get creative to recoup their lost revenue and expenditures.

There was no paperwork for us to sign during checkin on  our Equinox cruise, just verbally asked the questions pertaining to recent travel.  

I have seen signs of extra cleaning, the “enhanced sanitation”,  however, it has not prevented the spread of what must be some respiratory virus. We are currently on the second leg of a B2B , a few days after the embarkation for our first leg I started noticing people coughing. Each day the numbers noticed increased and by Friday, day 7, I had joined their ranks. About half the people at our meeting for B2B were coughing also. Turned out to be, for me at least, just a nasty URIL, no fever but coughing and congestion.  Today is day 4 of our  second week and I am feeling much better.  But lots of other people coughing. 

And yes, as a retired nurse, I am fanatic about washing hands!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Princess/Carnival cancelled its Venice port stop.  The cruise association press release you sent a link is dated 2 weeks ago. My TA said an updated presser is coming regarding South Korea, Italy, Canary Islands and other areas with outbreaks.

I just checked both Carnival's and CLIA's website, and neither has been updated (yet) to include South Korea or parts of Italy.  As with adding Hong Kong, Carnival and CLIA seem to be slower than Royal Caribbean in taking action.  

Royal Caribbean added Hong Kong several days before Carnival/CLIA.  When the original infected passenger boarded the Diamond Princess, Royal Caribbean had already banned passengers from Hong Kong.  Carnival/Princess had not.

Edited by cruiserchuck

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I am booked on back-to-back cruises in July--Rome to Venice and Venice to Rome...So, I am hoping to an incredible extent that all of this is moot by then (but, of course, no one knows)...But, thus far, I have received no notices.

I wi...

So, I REALLY HOPE all of this goes away quickly!!!

You will be one of many (thousands? millions?) that are going to have to go thru this.

If I was a betting man, I would bet on your trip not happening...at least as you have planned.

You might be able to do something similar without the cruise itself (using train or just using rental car and making the whole trip a land based one), or do it at a future time (year later??)

Good luck and hope it all works out.

52 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I just checked both Carnival's and CLIA's website, and neither has been updated (yet) to include South Korea or parts of Italy.  As with adding Hong Kong, Carnival and CLIA seem to be slower than Royal Caribbean in taking action.  

Royal Caribbean added Hong Kong several days before Carnival/CLIA.  When the original infected passenger boarded the Diamond Princess, Royal Caribbean had already banned passengers from Hong Kong.  Carnival/Princess had not.

A spokesperson from Carnival was on a financial show this am - I think Fox - stated they had cancelled several Venice stops. CLIA issues stuff usually once a week. Got to think Princess is getting on this quickly.

The hard part for containment is - what I read about Diamond Princess - that people are contagious without any symptoms. Also several tested negative in Japan but positive once in the US. ??? Also strange Diamond crew had few cases while passengers much higher percentage. And no discussion I found.

12 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Also several tested negative in Japan but positive once in the US. ???

Not necessarily surprising. You're going to be more likely to detect the virus in symptomatic individuals than on a screening test. And there's still a lot of unknown as to how many people are exposed and clear the virus. Most of the rates reported by CDC and WHO are of people sick enough to require hospitalization, so there's still limited to no data on people who are exposed and never develop symptoms, and whether those people are capable of transmitting, or effective at transmitting since they're probably not coughing or sneezing (much).

6 hours ago, az_tchr said:

To be clear the bans on Veneto and Lombardy are not from Celebrity but from the overalI association of cruise lines. Two other lines cancelled all Venice cruises yesterday.

Many main lines haven’t. 

Aussies can’t use Celebrity air - well I couldn’t for our cruise to the Med. we will be out a couple of thousand dollars and thankfully just one non cancellable hotel. I just need notice of cancellation early or I will be out several thousand more having already left to board the ship from Aus. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

Isn't that what I said?  2 lines have cancelled cruises.  With the travel restrictions in Veneto what do you think will happen?

You said it was the rules/guidance of the overall association. The bans have come from RCL. 

@gerryincork

Howdy and welcome back to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif I see it has been a while since you posted on the boards.

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. 👍 However, please note the following information is at the top of each page in this forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

Since your thread topic concerns a specific cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Celebrity Cruises forum where it will be on-topic. Also, we have the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum you might want to browse. And at this time, we have a special time-limited forum Q&A with InsureMyTrip where InsureMyTrip members are available through today February 25, 2020 to answer questions. Please browse through the thread titles on the forums looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.  

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1

The email is not just for the Caribbean, we got one for our Australia,New Zealand . We leave in 3 weeks time fingers crossed 🤞 

Could you please tell what did your email state? We have Australia/NZ cruise booked in 8 weeks. We didn’t receive any emails yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When is your trip?  If possible, you could wait and see if things get better before then.  

If not, maybe you could "accidentally" come into contact with someone from one of the banned regions, and not be able to go on the cruise.  

We were in Cork last year on a Celebrity cruise, and there were many foreign visitors there.  

8 minutes ago, Ellie_daisy said:

Could you please tell what did your email state? We have Australia/NZ cruise booked in 8 weeks. We didn’t receive any emails yet.

Read the traveler alert on the Celebrity site.  It's about the same as the letter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ellie_daisy said:

1 minute ago, cluso said:

Read the traveler alert on the Celebrity site.  It's about the same as the letter. 

Just go to post #49 on this thread to see the travel alert from Celebrity.

• Like 1

To date, there have been no cases of COVID-19 detected in the Caribbean, which is why Celebrity has not cancelled or modified its cruises in that region. Consequently, their no refund policy is quite understandable. You express concern about health risks associated with flying to Miami, but that is an issue more appropriately addressed to the airline(s).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

If not, maybe you could "accidentally" come into contact with someone from one of the banned regions, and not be able to go on the cruise.  

Horrible idea!

Among many other reasons; because you would have to be at embarkation and denied boarding.  You cannot simply call Celebrity and say "I was in a affected region, or close to someone who was, so give me my money back".

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ellie_daisy said:

it was exactly the same as in post #30, maybe they are sending out the ones that are closer to departure in case there are any more changes